SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

War Helps Terrorists!

War Helps Recruit Terrorists, Hill Told
    Intelligence Officials Talk Of Growing Insurgency

By Dana Priest and Josh White
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Thursday, February 17, 2005; Page A01

The insurgency in Iraq continues to baffle the U.S. military and intelligence communities, and the U.S. occupation has become a potent recruiting tool for al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, top U.S. national security officials told Congress yesterday.

"Islamic extremists are exploiting the Iraqi conflict to recruit new anti-U.S. jihadists," CIA Director Porter J. Goss told the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

"These jihadists who survive will leave Iraq experienced and focused on acts of urban terrorism," he said. "They represent a potential pool of contacts to build transnational terrorist cells, groups and networks in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and other countries."

On a day when the top half-dozen U.S. national security and intelligence officials went to Capitol Hill to talk about the continued determination of terrorists to strike the United States, their statements underscored the unintended consequences of the war in Iraq.

"The Iraq conflict, while not a cause of extremism, has become a cause for extremists," Goss said in his first public testimony since taking over the CIA. Goss said Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian terrorist who has joined al Qaeda since the U.S. invasion, "hopes to establish a safe haven in Iraq" from which he could operate against Western nations and moderate Muslim governments.

"Our policies in the Middle East fuel Islamic resentment," Vice Adm. Lowell E. Jacoby, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told the Senate panel. "Overwhelming majorities in Morocco, Jordan and Saudi Arabia believe the U.S. has a negative policy toward the Arab world."

Jacoby said the Iraq insurgency has grown "in size and complexity over the past year" and is now mounting an average of 60 attacks per day, up from 25 last year. Attacks on Iraq's election day last month reached 300, he said, double the previous one-day high of 150, even though transportation was virtually locked down.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told the House Armed Services Committee that he has trouble believing any of the estimates of the number of insurgents because it is so difficult to track them.

Rumsfeld said that the CIA and DIA had differing assessments at different times but that U.S. intelligence estimates of the insurgency are "considerably lower" than a recent Iraqi intelligence report of 40,000 hard-core insurgents and 200,000 part-time fighters. Rumsfeld told Rep. Ike Skelton (Mo.), the committee's ranking Democrat, that he had copies of the CIA and DIA estimates but declined to disclose them in a public session because they are classified.

"My job in the government is not to be the principal intelligence officer and try to rationalize differences between the Iraqis, the CIA and the DIA," Rumsfeld testified. "I see these reports. Frankly, I don't have a lot of confidence in any of them."

After the hearing, Rumsfeld told reporters that he did not mean to be "dismissive" of the intelligence reports.

"People are doing the best that can be done, and the fact is that people disagree," he said. ". . . It's not clear to me that the number is the overriding important thing."

Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the House panel that the extremists associated with al Qaeda and Zarqawi represent "a fairly small percentage of the total number of insurgents."

Sunni Arabs, dominated by former members of Saddam Hussein's Baath Party, "comprise the core of the insurgency" and continue to provide "funds and guidance across family, tribal, religious and peer-group lines," Jacoby said.

Foreign fighters "are a small component of the insurgency," and Syrian, Saudi, Egyptian, Jordanian and Iranian nationals make up the majority of foreign fighters, he said.

On terrorism, Goss, FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III and the acting deputy director of the Department of Homeland Security reiterated their belief that al Qaeda and other jihadist groups intend to strike the United States but offered no new information about the threat.

"It may be only a matter of time before al Qaeda or another group attempts to use chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear weapons," Goss said.

Tom Fingar, assistant secretary of state for intelligence and research, submitted a written statement that said: "We have seen no persuasive evidence that al-Qaida has obtained fissile material or ever has had a serious and sustained program to do so. At worst, the group possesses small amounts of radiological material that could be used to fabricate a radiological dispersion device," or dirty bomb.

Mueller, whose bureau has the lead in finding and apprehending terrorists in the United States, said his top concern is "the threat from covert operatives who may be inside the U.S." and said finding them is the FBI's top priority. But he said they have been unable to do so.

"I remain very concerned about what we are not seeing," Mueller said.

"Whether we are talking about a true sleeper operative who has been in place for years, waiting to be activated to conduct an attack, or a recently deployed operative that has entered the U.S. to facilitate or conduct an attack, we are continuously adapting our methods to reflect newly received intelligence and to ensure we are as proactive and as targeted as we can be in detecting their presence," he said.

Mueller said transportation systems and nuclear power plants remain key al Qaeda targets.

James Loy, acting deputy secretary of homeland security, agreed. In a written statement, he said that despite the efforts of the U.S. intelligence community and his department, and advances in information sharing, technology and organization, "any attack of any kind could occur at any time."

Last edited by Nickdfresh; 02-17-2005, 09:30 AM.
  • diamondD
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

So I guess you think it would have been better to have just rolled over and waited for the next attack on our soil? Iraq had training facilities and sponsored terrorism. I don't see how that's indisputable.

And you highlighted the part about the election day attacks doubling the day before? Well, duh.

The Ba'ath party is making up a large part of the resistance? SHOCKING news there.

Of course they all hate the US's policies. These are the same people fighting wars 100s of years old. But they don't mind selling us their oil for the cars we invented.
    Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
      So I guess you think it would have been better to have just rolled over and waited for the next attack on our soil? Iraq had training facilities and sponsored terrorism. I don't see how that's indisputable.

The only thing that is indisputable is that Iraq never attacked us on Sept. 11 and the Administrations constant blurring of and Iraq and al-Qaida in 'The War on Terrror.' We are making more 'terra-ists' with his stupid expedition! Maybe you are a psychic "Remote Viewer?" But my visions never really saw anything coming from Iraq. By the way, who was Iraq training in the camps? Were they really terrorists or Iraqi militia?

And you highlighted the part about the election day attacks doubling the day before? Well, duh.

The Ba'ath party is making up a large part of the resistance? SHOCKING news there.

Of course they all hate the US's policies. These are the same people fighting wars 100s of years old. But they don't mind selling us their oil for the cars we invented.
      Actually people on this very forum were assuming it was al-Qaida and Zarqawi leading the resistance against US troops. So yes, DUH is right! We have exploited the Middle East and have turned a biased and blind eye often.

The idea of Middle Easteners 'hating us because we a free' is another big myth.

Comment

• Phil theStalker
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Listen you uninformed lump of turd.

The next terrorist attack, no matter where the terrorists come from in the world, no matter what race, there is going to be a change in government in Washington D.C. without any elections.

If you don't know what I just said and if you don't know WHY I just said it, it's because it's too late for you.

It's not later than you think.

For you it's too late.

You're lucky guys like Nick still have any time for a message board and to wake someone like you up.

PS Be sure to send Nick's and my posts to your "homeland" suck boys. It's no secret to a lot of people except to millions of Americans like you.

Fuck Nick, with peeps like this around us we're gonna DIE!

You're lucky Nick has the time for you, punk.

I'm about to stop posting here, Nick.
        Add to Ignore list

Comment

• BigBadBrian
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Phil theStalker

The next terrorist attack, no matter where the terrorists come from in the world, no matter what race, there is going to be a change in government in Washington D.C. without any elections.

I'll be in DC for a coupla days next week Phil....howdja know I was taking over? :confused:
          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Phil theStalker
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
            I'll be in DC for a coupla days next week Phil....howdja know I was taking over? :confused:
            Brian, you'd be better than GW.

I'll swear you in.

P
            Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

If you don't know what I just said and if you don't know WHY I just said it, it's because it's too late for you.

It's not later than you think.

For you it's too late.

You're lucky guys like Nick still have any time for a message board and to wake someone like you up.

PS Be sure to send Nick's and my posts to your "homeland" suck boys. It's no secret to a lot of people except to millions of Americans like you.

Fuck Nick, with peeps like this around us we're gonna DIE!

You're lucky Nick has the time for you, punk.

I'm about to stop posting here, Nick.
              HELP! I've been co-opted by Phil da' Stalker!

You know I like Phil though!

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                HELP! I've been co-opted by Phil da' Stalker!
                Often against your will, Nick.

P
                Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

But they don't mind selling us their oil for the cars we invented.
                  We?

Are you German?

Comment

• diamondD
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2004

I think there's a lot more American cars in America than German cars.

Bought any made in the Middle East lately? What's the most progressive thing they have done for the world actually?

Comment

• diamondD
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

At 45 posts a day, does he have time for anything else? This seems to be his life. He's on here more than Chelle was on the Dome.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

At 45 posts a day, does he have time for anything else? This seems to be his life. He's on here more than Chelle was on the Dome.
                        Yeah, well I can't help it it I am well read and post good articles.

Can't defeat logic of post:

a.) Blame Clinton

b.) Claim it's bullshit liberal media

c.) The poster must be a loser that has no time for anything else

I haven't noticed you posting a useful thread yet DD.

P.S. This is the only site I really post at. So I wouldn't have a clue about Socall's site. What's your review of it?
                        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 02-17-2005, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• diamondD
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Read it again Nick. I said Chelle at the Dome. Are you sure you are that well read?

I don't have to post threads to fulfill any needs Nick. I've been around here since almost the beginning and used to post at least 10x more a day. But it was more about Dave and Van Halen back then and I've had the wind taken out of my sails as far as a reunion, therefore the post count went down. Plus I have a different job that demands a lot of my time and a girlfriend that demands most of the rest.

Have fun and quit taking it so seriously.
                          Last edited by diamondD; 02-17-2005, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Read it again Nick. I said Chelle at the Dome. Are you sure you are that well read?

I don't have to post threads to fulfill any needs Nick. I've been around here since almost the beginning and used to post at least 10x more a day. But it was more about Dave and Van Halen back then and I've had the wind taken out of my sails as far as a reunion, therefore the post count went down. Plus I have a different job that demands a lot of my time and a girlfriend that demands most of the rest.

Have fun and quit taking it so seriously.
                            I try! I need to drink more beer. But right now I have a job that allows me to spam the internet and read a lot of news.

And flame wars tend to inflate your post count way too much.:confused:

I think I need to start drinking more. Cheers!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think there's a lot more American cars in America than German cars.

Bought any made in the Middle East lately? What's the most progressive thing they have done for the world actually?
                              They invented the single most important thing in mankind - distillation. Without Arabs no whisky, vodka or gin.

Your earlier post implied the US invented the car. You didn't it was the Germans.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...