X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly
    Groupie
    • Jan 2004

US Festival v DLR 1999

I have recently purchased these dvds - this is a huge thing for a real performance starved kiwi boy, by the way! We've never had Van Halen or DLR here (apart from VH3, which doesn't really count), so seeing these performances is quite a treat.

A few things stood out for me and I'd be interested in others opinions.

US Festival: so much fun! Some great versions of songs and more energy than I've seen from almost any band ever. Great moves from Dave. I was astounded by how freakin' tight the band was during instrumentals. I loved the interplay between all 4 of the guys. You could see how much they trusted each other and complimented each other on stage.

Dave was in great voice, worked the crowd completely. But you know what? I thought his timing was sometimes off and I didn't like the mumbling or forgetting of words. I guess he may have been focussing on the overall presentation of the show - and it was fucking stupendous - but my coment would be "learn the songs Dave". I've read his comments in Crazy from the Heat about lyrics, so what the fuck do I know.
    Rating: 9 outta 10.

DLR 1999: OK now he knows the songs! Still in great voice and in great shape - pretty impressive kicks for an old guy. Now he's carrying the whole show - the band is great, but sure doesn't have the charisma of VH. Actually vocally I think Dave is better here - not as flashy, but a richer more consistent voice.
    Rating 7 outta 10.

Whatdoyathink?
  • EbDawson
    Veteran
    • Apr 2004

Dave is much more sober these days.

According to Brian Young, he doesn't even want the band drinking before the shows nowadays.
    "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

While I can appreciate your sincere question on these two shows, IMHO there is absolutely no comparison...

The '83 version of VH was at their pinnacle, even with this drunken show at the US Festival... They were at the top of the music world, and the '84 tour proved that....

Any subsequent shows that Dave has done solo, irregardless of what band members he's had, is just not the same.... The songs may sound great, especially IMO since Brian Young has joined on guitar, but comparing it to Classic VH is just apples and oranges IMO....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Dave was pissed at The US Fest!!

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Van Halen were pretty blitzed at the US Festival, no doubt. But that show... I mean, Van Halen got 1.5 or 2 million for it, in front of 300,000. We're talking legitimate Guiness material here. The performance was wild and even, but the energy and excitement were just pouring off the stage.

DLR 1999. Bart Walsh did a competent EVH impression, but had the stage presence of a wet noodle. Dave was carrying the show, agreed. Brian's a much better fit for what Dave's doing now.

For me, the only live group Dave's been with that could stand up to the chemistry of CVH live was the EEAS group, and I'm not even that much of a fan of the wankfest histrionics of Vai and Sheehan. Chemistry being the operative word; goes beyond technical ability. Has to do with four personalities at a certain time.

Basically, Dave live now with a setlist 85% or better being CVH is trying to recreate something that was already done just fine the first time around. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not gonna quite stack up to the original, even if it's done more note-for-note perfect in 1999 than it was at the US Festival.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
            The performance was wild and even, but the energy and excitement were
            Meant to say wild and uneven
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
              Sniper
              • Apr 2004

It is correct that DLR was wasted during the US Fest show. The performance was energetic, and maybe one of my favorite VH performances ever. Certainly the most widely spread.

However, the forgetting of the words is part of the act. He forgot the F'n words to Romeo Delight in every show he did 1982-1983 regardless. If you saw the Largo DVD or Sao Paulo DVD, you get pretty much the same show.

I don't know which 1999 performance of Dave you have, so I can't comment directly, but he still does a lot of that forgetting the words stuff and all the things he did in Van Halen. To be honest, Dave himself hasn't changed that much performance wise, but he has changed his vocal style and performance.

The difference is, Van Halen was a huge spectacle. It is possible that if Dave had held together the EEAS band, it could have been, but was too short lived. Nothing short of a reunited Van Halen will ever acheive greatness again for any of these guys. And even that is questionable.

Comment

• Lou

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                While I can appreciate your sincere question on these two shows, IMHO there is absolutely no comparison...

The '83 version of VH was at their pinnacle, even with this drunken show at the US Festival... They were at the top of the music world, and the '84 tour proved that....

Any subsequent shows that Dave has done solo, irregardless of what band members he's had, is just not the same.... The songs may sound great, especially IMO since Brian Young has joined on guitar, but comparing it to Classic VH is just apples and oranges IMO....
                Couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

• secrets
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Apr 2004

Us festival is good but I personally prefer Largo '82; and Argentina '83 is good for Dave's hilarious spiel in Spanish, also very drunk.

Cheers

Achtung Baby I say, I say...

Comment

• rustoffa
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Anytime Dave is up there performing, the world is a better place.

Comment

• EbDawson
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                      Anytime Dave is up there performing, the world is a better place.
                      Exactly! Hearing CVH from Dave brings out the wood nymph in me.
                      "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Kelly
                        Groupie
                        • Jan 2004

Awesome responses. I agree with the charisma statement totally. The 1999 dvd is live in Finland.

Comment

• Bad Muthafucker
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Jan 2004

I loved DLR in '99. I saw him live TWICE on that tour. And I have a copy on VHS of the pro-shot show from Finland which includes "Slam Dunk". I saw him at Montage Mountain in Scranton, PA, and also at the Silo Bar in Reading, PA. GREAT SHOWS!! In fact, I liked the Silo better because I was litteraly about 6 or 7 feet from Dave. Dave's shows in '99 were 100%. He gave it 100%. His voice and kicks were superb. He was on the ball. And my guess is that it was to prove to the sisters what a huge mistake they had made by choosing Ga y Cherone.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7qatW5tds&NR=1

Comment

• Bad Muthafucker
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kelly
                            The 1999 dvd is live in Finland.
                            You have that show too? And on DVD?????? Shit! My copy is only on a lousy VHS! After the show, does your DVD have the video for "She's My Machine" and the interview with Dave wearing the dark red sweater where he slams VH 3?
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7qatW5tds&NR=1

Comment

• Golden AWe
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kelly
                              Awesome responses. I agree with the charisma statement totally. The 1999 dvd is live in Finland.
                              Plus you can see me in the audience. Two times! Plus Dave wiped his ass with our Jack Daniels-flag. Plus he left the stage with those two young chicks, that were on the stage with him during some of the songs, after the show, of whom the blonde one had a boyfriend earlier during the show...ha ha ha.

I've told these things a thousand times but who cares.
                              Originally posted by Cato
                              Golden, why are you FAT?
                              Originally posted by lesfunk
                              Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                              http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

Working...