• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • academic punk
    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Bill Maher op-ed 2/18

This guy is among my very favorites...

Leave the children behind! At least, that is, until they learn something.

A new survey finds that only half of America's high schoolers think newspapers should be allowed to publish without government approval. And almost one in five said Americans should be prohibited from expressing unpopular opinions. Hey, let me tell you little darlings something: either learn the Bill of Rights, or you don't deserve Social Security.

Now, to those of you who think I am over-reacting, yes, I understand that being in high school is still very young, and no one really cares what kids say anyway. It's not like priests are dating them for their brains.

But the younger generation is supposed to rage against the machine, not for it. They're supposed to question authority, not question those who question authority. And what is so frightening here is that we are seeing the beginnings of the first post-9/11 generation, kids who first became aware of the news under an "Americans need to watch what they say" administration, kids who've been told that dissent is un-American, and therefore justifiably punished by fine, imprisonment or loss of your show on ABC.

President Bush once asked, "Is our children learning?" A more appropriate question might be, "Is our teachers teaching?" In four years, you can teach a gorilla sign language. Is it too much to ask that in the same amount of time a teenager in America is taught what those crazy hippies who founded this country really had in mind?

Now, I know the "morals and values" folks want us to take time out of the school day for prayer and the Ten Commandments and abstinence training, and to learn at least two theories of evolution--the one agreed upon by every scientist in the world, and the one that involves naked ladies and snakes.

But lest we forget, last month, the people of Iraq risked death and danger to send a simple inspiring message: "America get out of our country!" "But also, that we want the freedoms that you Americans take for granted."

Now, I didn't mind being on the losing side of the last election, but as a loser, I guess I have some unpopular opinions. And I'd like to keep them. I'd even like to say them right out loud on TV. Because if I just sit here every Friday night and spout Bush Administration-approved talking points, that is not freedom or entertainment. It's Fox News!
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

This is from his show last week..God's gift just rehashes his own stuff I guess.

I'd REALLY like to like Bill Maher but he is everything people accuse Bill O'Reilly of x100 (and no, I'm not a huge fan of O'Reilly either, although I tend to lean more that way). Maher's show is ok, but so one-sided it's stupid (and take your fingers off the keyboard, I know what your gonna say about Fox/Faux/O'Reilly etc..). His show would be much more enjoyable if he could stop with the Al Bundy treatment (stack his panels with people who agree with him, and one whipping boy from the other side, then listen to the audience cheer hi m on like a bunch of Emeril Retards....fuck yea, GARLIC!!).

All that said, he makes a few good points, but stretches them further than I think is credible. Another day, another op-ed for him..

Comment

• academic punk
      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Well, he does stretch his points, b/c he is, primarily, a comedian. By the way, this IS a transcript - minus all the robin williams interuptions from last week's "new rules".

I do agree about his panel, and it is a HUGE problem, but I think that's also a matter of being able to get right-wing guests on his show. He's had Alan Simpson, David Dreir, Tony Snow, and others (the guy from club for growth, even ann coulter who he's FRIENDS with), and sometimes the audience were pretty hostile. Maher himself generally tries to let the guests speak.

As for his show being one-sided...well, yeah, it's HIS show. Like I titled this, it's an "OPINION-EDITORIAL". The difference is that his show lasts an hour, FOX is on all day every day, and is supposed to be a non-partisan news network.

(BTW, I actually do watch O'Reilly on occassion, and I do like Tony Snow. Sean Hannity is my nightmare come to life, I admit)

Comment

• Big Train
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I understand its an op-ed. I'm just saying he could be much less of a dickhead.

It is his show, I agree. However, if he wants more people to WATCH it, he should do quite a bit more to make it better. But he won't. The biggest thing (outside of Robin Williams-he needs a stiff shot with a 2x4) is his own audience, who come to get their Bush bashing jollies each week. Which is fine, but it makes the show unwatchable as the guests can't speak and if they start to make sense (which they always do) he cuts them off, throws one of his "comedy" bits in and milks the reaction. His ego prevents him from making the show a truly great show that it could be.

My opinion...

Comment

• academic punk
          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
          I understand its an op-ed. I'm just saying he could be much less of a dickhead.
          Heh heh!

It is his show, I agree. However, if he wants more people to WATCH it, he should do quite a bit more to make it better. But he won't. The biggest thing (outside of Robin Williams-he needs a stiff shot with a 2x4) is his own audience, who come to get their Bush bashing jollies each week. Which is fine, but it makes the show unwatchable as the guests can't speak and if they start to make sense (which they always do) he cuts them off, throws one of his "comedy" bits in and milks the reaction. His ego prevents him from making the show a truly great show that it could be.

My opinion...
          He's bashed a few lefties along the way too. And he's also promoted a num,ber of right-wing political points (ultimately , he's a libertarian, so he's - like me - down with republicans political beliefs re: taxes, but completely opposed to the religious and "moral values" aspects), not leats of all social security reform. As he said, 1.8% is GARBAGE, and there has to be a means to generate a better return than what we currently receive. (his line was "I'd fire my broker tomorrow if he called me and said 1.8 was the best I can do.") And I agree with your points, but it's almost like saying "Slayer should record a good pop tune about now". He's simply being true to his own political stance, and, as you say, he is playing to the audience that he has. Sounds like a contradiction I know, but his audience found him b/c he was articulatin what they were thinking in the first place.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So Big Train doesn't like a show that actually presents a fair & balanced view?

I don't have any pay channels, so I haven't seen Maher's show since ABC fucked him in the ass without lube, but I'm guessing he kept the same format, more or less, so he was always good about allowing all his guests to speak their minds. Or lack of, in the case of Ann The Man.

BTW Maher himself is more Libertarian than Liberal.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• academic punk
              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

You can always go to www.hbo.com and click on real time w/ bill maher for the transcipts to all of his shows.

Comment

• Big Train
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Ford, I wrote this with you in mind, but as usual, you missed.

(and take your fingers off the keyboard, I know what your gonna say about Fox/Faux/O'Reilly etc..).

Also, I am aware he is a Libertarian. He is also a dickhead..

Comment

• academic punk
                  Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Also, I am aware he is a Libertarian. He is also a dickhead..

so you're saying he's a true renaissance man...

Comment

• Wayne L.

Bill Maher makes about much sense as MOST of the people on this DLR Army site so I don't give it too much credibility!!!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Wayne L.
                      Bill Maher makes about much sense as MOST of the people on this DLR Army site so I don't give it too much credibility!!!!!
                      So why do you post here you feet lovin' cunt????

Comment

• academic punk
                        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

"Wayne L" is really Eddie Murphy?

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Real Time is a great show.

Comment

• cwsmith17
                            Sniper
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                            This guy is among my very favorites...

Leave the children behind! At least, that is, until they learn something.

A new survey finds that only half of America's high schoolers think newspapers should be allowed to publish without government approval. And almost one in five said Americans should be prohibited from expressing unpopular opinions. Hey, let me tell you little darlings something: either learn the Bill of Rights, or you don't deserve Social Security.

Now, to those of you who think I am over-reacting, yes, I understand that being in high school is still very young, and no one really cares what kids say anyway. It's not like priests are dating them for their brains.

But the younger generation is supposed to rage against the machine, not for it. They're supposed to question authority, not question those who question authority. And what is so frightening here is that we are seeing the beginnings of the first post-9/11 generation, kids who first became aware of the news under an "Americans need to watch what they say" administration, kids who've been told that dissent is un-American, and therefore justifiably punished by fine, imprisonment or loss of your show on ABC.

President Bush once asked, "Is our children learning?" A more appropriate question might be, "Is our teachers teaching?" In four years, you can teach a gorilla sign language. Is it too much to ask that in the same amount of time a teenager in America is taught what those crazy hippies who founded this country really had in mind?

Now, I know the "morals and values" folks want us to take time out of the school day for prayer and the Ten Commandments and abstinence training, and to learn at least two theories of evolution--the one agreed upon by every scientist in the world, and the one that involves naked ladies and snakes.

But lest we forget, last month, the people of Iraq risked death and danger to send a simple inspiring message: "America get out of our country!" "But also, that we want the freedoms that you Americans take for granted."

Now, I didn't mind being on the losing side of the last election, but as a loser, I guess I have some unpopular opinions. And I'd like to keep them. I'd even like to say them right out loud on TV. Because if I just sit here every Friday night and spout Bush Administration-approved talking points, that is not freedom or entertainment. It's Fox News!
                            John Stewart

Comment

• JCOOK

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              So why do you post here you feet lovin' cunt????
                              Nick, Why is it that all you can do is revert to name calling with people who disagree with you. At least Ford... whom I disagree with more than not tries to debate with some sense of decorum.Name calling just shows YOUR FUCKING STUPIDITY....sorry

Comment

Working...