PDA

View Full Version : Letter from Iraq: 'Great things are happening here'

Warham
02-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Letter from Iraq: 'Great things are happening here'
Hesperian Sgt. T.J. Goodman comments on the war's successes
By BEAU YARBROUGH/Staff Writer

T. J. Goodman is seven and a half thousand miles from home. The Hesperia High School 2000 graduate is now a sergeant with the United States Marine Corps as part of Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron Three (MWHS-3) based out of Miramar, California.

He described his current deployment in a letter to the Hesperia Star last week.

“I am forward deployed to Al Asad, IZ; which is located approximately 75 miles northwest of Fallujah. I am the Air Analyst Watch Chief for the G-2 (Intelligence Shop) of 3MAW. Basically, my job is to study and know the enemy and their capabilities and conduct trend and pattern analysis to figure out how and when the enemy is going to attack. Since I work with aircraft, my job is to help the pilots to know where to and not to fly and what types of equipment the enemy will use to engage the aircraft in an attempt to shoot them down. I help to keep the Commanding General abreast of the enemy situation and where good locations are to put bombs on target.”

Although no one would say life in a war zone is easy or comfortable, the Marines of 3MAW live well, relatively speaking.

“We have it pretty nice here as far as living quarters go. We live in what we call ‘cans’ because they are just like small tin sardine cans. They are pretty nice and a lot better than just tent over sand.

The ‘cans’ are like storage containers with bunk beds in them. I live in a double-wide ‘can’ which can have eight people living in there at once. Fortunately for me though, I only have four people in my room and they are all Marines that I work with.

Working the night shift

“I work the night shift out here, which is about the equivalent of a daytime shift in the states. We work 12-hour days with our hours going from 7 to 7. Most generally though, its about a 13 to 14 hour day with arriving early to conduct a turnover with my dayshift counterpart and staying late to make sure that everything is done and taken care of completely before I leave.

“During the downtime I enjoy playing games on X-Box or my laptop. Reading books is another great thing I’ve taken advantage of with more than 10 books read since I’ve been out here. The only real downtime around here is whenever I am not at work. So, there is generally about 10-12 hours of downtime, which a lot of that gets taken up by sleep.”

It’s said that an army travels on its stomach, and for U.S. forces in Iraq, food typically comes from impressive dining facilities, although it helps to have a taste for chicken.

“The food here is pretty good. We have a great dining facility (chow hall) and the food is good too. Chicken is served a lot though, just varies in forms of fried, BBQ, New York buffalo style, or baked.”

Being a resident of Hesperia helped prepare Goodman for the climate in Iraq.

“The weather is actually really interesting here. A lot of people see Iraq as one big hot desert. It is too ... during the summer time. When it gets into the winter months, it gets freezing cold. There were a days where the high temperature was in the single digits. Not fun. This desert is like the Hesperian desert, just extreme in temperatures on both ends of the spectrum.”

Goodman has had limited, but positive, interactions with Iraqis since arriving in the country.

“I have some contact with the Iraqi population, but it’s fairly limited. The locals that I do talk to though really appreciate the things that we are doing within the country and are happy at the number of jobs that we have brought to them. Those that I talk to are good people and just want to work hard and provide for their families. They are really family oriented.”

That isn’t always the picture portrayed in the media, and Goodman agrees with those who have returned from Iraq and said the media’s depiction of the war is off.

“Those that have returned from Iraq and Afghanistan are exactly right about the media [getting it wrong]. Being an intelligence analyst, staying on top of the news is part of my job description. The media tends to focus on the bad things that go on and take rumors and twist them to make things seem even worse then what they really are.

“Do great American soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines get wounded and die out here? Yes! But the thing that people seem to forget is that this is war.

“During the presidential debates, the Democrats would always ask, ‘Would you want to send your children out to Iraq to serve in this war?’ The thing is, we are all adults and all voluntarily sign on the dotted line and swear under oath that we will serve and protect our great nation against all enemies, foreign and domestic. And that’s what we plan to do.

“The media needs to realize that a lot of great things are happening here and the insurgents are weakening. Schools are being built and children are learning and eager for more knowledge; hospitals are being built with good healthcare and qualified doctors; domestic services (i.e. water, electricity, heat, etc.) are being serviced and running at rates and in ways that most Iraqi’s have never seen. Great things are developing in this country and its going to take some time. Things aren’t going to just change at the snap of a finger ... it takes time.

Afghanistan took two years

“Look at Afghanistan, it took over 2 years from when we first went in there for their to be their first democratic elections and people turned out in record numbers. Here in Iraq, we’ve done it in almost half the time with more record numbers. What people at home need to know is that there are a lot of great plans in the process for this country and great things will come about ... it’s just going to take time. There will be casualties, but the home front needs to support those that are serving and welcome them home and thank them for their services ... don’t let this be another Vietnam!”

The most tangible way to show support for those serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, of course, is the care package, and Goodman has some definite opinions on what works and what doesn’t.

Care packages
“Care packages are a great thing to boost morale for all troops. My unit was really fortunate and we received a lot of care packages ... especially during the holidays. The best thing that a lot of people can do if they wish to send items is get in touch with companies that send packages on regular basis. We Care Packages is a great service that is made up of volunteers that collect items to send to troops overseas. Great things to send are ramen noodles, [Kraft] EasyMac, and oatmeal ... anything that can be easily made with either hot water or a microwave. Hygiene gear is really great as well. Toothbrushes are changed out anytime we get sick, so we go through those rather quickly.

Baby wipes are good [and] used often, especially if we don’t have water to shower with.”

But home still has some things that no care package can replace.

“To everyone at home, thank you for all your love and support and I will be home soon. To my son, Ashton, I love you so much and I can’t wait to get home and hold you.”

For more information on contributing to care packages for service personnel overseas, visit adoptaplatoon.org, anysoldier.com, operationac.com, opgratitude.com, heromiles.org, operationmilitarypride.org, operationuplink.org, usocares.org, supportustroops.com or treatsfortroops.com

Are you a Hesperian serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, or do you know a Hesperian who is? We would like to talk to you about your experiences overseas. Please e-mail the Hesperia Star at beau@hesperiastar.com or editor@hesperiastar.com Please use your .mil e-mail address for your first e-mail to the paper.

Beau Yarbrough can be reached at beau@hesperiastar.com or 956-7108.

FORD
02-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Looks like the BCE propaganda machine is gearing up for another Astroturf bombing.....

Check your small town newspapers, folks. This article will probably turn up, with a different soldier's name FORGED each time.

ELVIS
02-24-2005, 11:57 PM
If this was an article about how bad things were in Iraq, you would have no problem with it...:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
02-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
If this was an article about how bad things were in Iraq, you would have no problem with it...:rolleyes:

If this was an article about how bad things were in Iraq you'd just roll your eyes:rolleyes:

Cathedral
02-25-2005, 12:18 AM
That's the thing about spinning wheels, Elvis. They just keep on spinning.
Round and round and round, it will never stop as long as a Republican sits in the White House.

On the bright side, we managed to get at least an 8 year period where the moral value of America stopped spiraling down so fast.

The damage has been done though, and unless we elect a "true" wise man into office (never happen) it will continue, for now.

Everyone say it with me, "I Love You Lord, and my heart is empty without you".

Try it, you'll like it. :)

FORD
02-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

On the bright side, we managed to get at least an 8 year period where the moral value of America stopped spiraling down so fast.

And that's why a gay hooker got within 10 feet of Junior using a bogus ID??

Warham
02-25-2005, 07:01 AM
I'm not sure the Raiders would take kindly to you calling their quarterback gay.

:D

Cathedral
02-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by FORD
And that's why a gay hooker got within 10 feet of Junior using a bogus ID??

Whatever, that kind of stuff doesn't concern me. but for the record, there was no cigar involved, or a blue dress.

Let's not get into a pissing match about the morality of our government because no modern president has the honesty that SHOULD be required of them, period.

Nickdfresh
02-25-2005, 08:46 AM
So what? What does this Marine know other what he's told by his commanders. You need to talk to the troops undergoing patrols in the Sunni Triangle.

FORD
02-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Whatever, that kind of stuff doesn't concern me. but for the record, there was no cigar involved, or a blue dress.

Let's not get into a pissing match about the morality of our government because no modern president has the honesty that SHOULD be required of them, period.

Yes, but there is a significant difference between lying about a blowjob and lying about reasons to invade a country and kill 100,000 civilians. And besides, JimmyJeff might not have been blowing the pResident, but he probably was doing someone in the White House in order to get the access he had.

Like I said yesterday, if you want morals, put Jimmy Carter back in there. But these lying fascists are worse than immoral. They're amoral.

Remember when Junior was asked to name one mistake he made as pResident, and he said nothing?

Clinton never had a problem answering that question. Nor did Poppy, or Reagan (when he was capable) or even Nixon - not that anyone needed to ask him.

Junior's never been held accountable for one thing in his fucking worthless life. Spoiled rich kids should be banned from running for office for that reason alone.

academic punk
02-25-2005, 09:24 AM
The story of the Town hall debate is that after the debate Bush made a point of finding the woman who'd asked him to name three mistakes.

he told her that he hopes she understands that in this political climate he couldn't answer her question in front of the cameras b/c it would only be used against him, but he assured her that he knew he'd made some mistakes.

I kind of agree with this, I must say. It was a loaded question, and, hey, Clinton initially denied relations with Lewinsky on the same grounds and for the same reasoning: it could only be used against him.

Nixon had no problem answering that question???

Seshmeister
02-25-2005, 09:27 AM
He couldn't answer her question because noone had told him the answer in advance.

That question will now be added to the spin guys handbook.

Cathedral
02-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Agreed, for the most part.
But sin is sin whether it be cheating on your wife, or killing people.
Niether is pleasing to the Lord, BUT, all can be forgiven by him.

All will be judged in time, not our time, but rest assured everyone will be judged by their own works in this flesh age.

Don't continue to let your life be wasted focusing on the iniquities of others.
Pray for them that God may enlighten them and that their souls be saved.
If they turn away from that, you have done your part as a child of God, but continue to pray for them anyway.

academic punk
02-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
He couldn't answer her question because noone had told him the answer in advance.

That question will now be added to the spin guys handbook.

The opposite, actually. Bush was savvy in not responding, but he did have the decency to approach the person who directly asked him and give her a fuller answer.

Why do you think a full-fledged attack on Iran hasn't happened yet? Because the administration has learned how wrong they were in attempting "nation-building" and thinking it would be a simple, cost-effective, peaceful process.

I don't like the guy, I sure didn't vote for him, but this characterization of him as stupid is completely wrong.

Seshmeister
02-25-2005, 10:32 AM
How do you explain the debates with Kerry then.

The one I saw he was frighteningly retarded. He wouldn't make small town mayor over here.

academic punk
02-25-2005, 10:41 AM

The one I saw he was frighteningly retarded. He wouldn't make small town mayor over here.

Simple: he sticks on topic. He doesn't break out a whole bunch of facts and figures, not b/c he doesn't understand them, but b/c 60% of the viewers won't.

Think about to the 200 debates. Al Gore presented a comprehensive, detailed analysis of the direction he believed taxes and the econmy should go. Not only did it go right over most peopl'es heads, not only was it a snooze-fest, but once Bush said "Fuzzy math" (and commenced to repeat it ad-nauseum), all those people were able to say, "Hey, this guy's not talking down to me, I can relate to him, and he just proved that the other guy is wrong."

He has stuck with the same basic debate style from his days then he running for governor of Texas. It's not brilliant, it's not "presidential", but it is proven effective.

(besides, most people are already decided who they're voting for pre-debates. Generally, honestly, you have more of a chance of losing votes rather than gaining by sticking your neck out)

ELVIS
02-25-2005, 11:31 AM

Maybe he suffered a TIA on that day...;)

academic punk
02-25-2005, 11:33 AM
TIA?

ELVIS
02-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Transient Eschemic Attack...

Like a tiny stroke...

academic punk
02-25-2005, 11:39 AM

Like a tiny stroke...

oh.

actually, that answer creates more questions than it answers...

how's it going today, El?

ELVIS
02-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Good!

And yourself ??

academic punk
02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Doing okay!

Watching the second hand of the clock, as it ticks...ticks...ticks...ever so slowly...

come on, one o'clock...

LoungeMachine
02-25-2005, 11:46 AM

Like a tiny stroke...

Also called "choking on a pretzel":rolleyes:

jacksmar
02-25-2005, 11:57 AM
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/fallujah-imagery-mapped.htm

This piss hole is about 4 miles north to south and 2 miles or so east to west.
The whole piss hole could be flattened and bull dozed inside of two days. Once again, the commie lib cowards have propagated this “mythical” city in something more than it is.
And I should add the cowards on the left and right would rather keep their political careers than protect a US Soldier. The order should have been given to flatten this piss hole more than a year ago. The cowards on the left and right got their world shaken when the prison photos surfaced.

For the record, with or without the WMD, it was the right decision. However, the cowards fear of losing their political jobs at home has turned the piss hole into a place for a US Soldier to die. Good job true red commies. Your fear and loathing of US military power found a target with the weak political minds of our time. The only cost was US Soldiers.

Seshmeister
02-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Like a tiny stroke...

Look who did a 'Bush'!

That's pretty bad spelling.

The clue was in the acronym!:D

Cheers!

:gulp:

blueturk
02-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Simple: he sticks on topic. He doesn't break out a whole bunch of facts and figures, not b/c he doesn't understand them, but b/c 60% of the viewers won't.

Think about to the 200 debates. Al Gore presented a comprehensive, detailed analysis of the direction he believed taxes and the econmy should go. Not only did it go right over most peopl'es heads, not only was it a snooze-fest, but once Bush said "Fuzzy math" (and commenced to repeat it ad-nauseum), all those people were able to say, "Hey, this guy's not talking down to me, I can relate to him, and he just proved that the other guy is wrong."

He has stuck with the same basic debate style from his days then he running for governor of Texas. It's not brilliant, it's not "presidential", but it is proven effective.

(besides, most people are already decided who they're voting for pre-debates. Generally, honestly, you have more of a chance of losing votes rather than gaining by sticking your neck out)

"I hope you leave here and walk out and say, 'What did he say?'" —George W. Bush, Beaverton, Oregon, Aug. 13, 2004

More often than not, mission accomplished.

Big Train
02-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I think the guy who wrote the article (the actual subject of this thread?-or it is clinton vs. Bush morality..threadjackers!!) has the best view of the subject. Whether or not he is in the sunni triangle, he is there and see what he sees. None of us are qualified to comment on whether or not his is the "true view", until we ourselves travel through every part of Iraq as a solider, not a security laden "embedded" journalist. As none of us have, I say his story is valid.

Cathedral
02-25-2005, 03:03 PM
All i can say is: "Prove it's invalid" before attacking it. :)

There's my challenge to the doubting Ford's, lol.

ELVIS
02-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Look who did a 'Bush'!

That's pretty bad spelling.

The clue was in the acronym!:D

Cheers!

:gulp:

Oops...:D

Sorry...;)

diamondD
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Anyone else notice how FORD will defend gays and slam you for makng deragatory comments about them and he sticks up for their right to get married, etc, but if he wants to use it against them for his own points, it's ok?

ELVIS
02-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Yes...

Big Train
02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Not only that, will speak of a gay man in a demeaning way, when it is used in conjunction with bush or a conservative..open the windows, the hypocrisy is killing me...

LoungeMachine
02-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
Anyone else notice how FORD will defend gays and slam you for makng deragatory comments about them and he sticks up for their right to get married, etc, but if he wants to use it against them for his own points, it's ok?

And you think the far right should hold a monopoly on hypocrisy??:rolleyes:

Big Train
02-25-2005, 07:22 PM
No, but someone who rails against it so often ought to hold himself to a higher standard, you would think..

academic punk
02-25-2005, 07:47 PM
That reminds me...

So these two fags walk into a bar...

etc etc

Nickdfresh
02-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/fallujah-imagery-mapped.htm

This piss hole is about 4 miles north to south and 2 miles or so east to west.
The whole piss hole could be flattened and bull dozed inside of two days. Once again, the commie lib cowards have propagated this �mythical� city in something more than it is.
And I should add the cowards on the left and right would rather keep their political careers than protect a US Soldier. The order should have been given to flatten this piss hole more than a year ago. The cowards on the left and right got their world shaken when the prison photos surfaced.

For the record, with or without the WMD, it was the right decision. However, the cowards fear of losing their political jobs at home has turned the piss hole into a place for a US Soldier to die. Good job true red commies. Your fear and loathing of US military power found a target with the weak political minds of our time. The only cost was US Soldiers.

Why do you dummy Neo Cons keep using the word "Commie" when the Bush Administration has been the best friend North Korea and China has ever had? THEIR THE FUCKING COMMIES! AND WE IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE...

Warham
03-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Bump.

LoungeMachine
03-01-2005, 11:30 PM
why?

Warham
03-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Because, that's why.

As long as Pat Buchanan's poo get's bumped, I'm bumping something.

LoungeMachine
03-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Bumping Poo ????

Is that LEGAL in The Bush administration's USA ???

[ I mean besides fake reporters ]

Phil theStalker
03-02-2005, 12:09 AM
If the article was true or by an unbranwashed robot order taking grunt peeps would have no prob.

:spank: