• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Seahawks release WR Jerry Rice

February 25, 2005

KIRKLAND, Washington (Ticker) - The NFL's all-time leading receiver may continue to play, but it will not be with the Seattle Seahawks.

As expected, the Seahawks released Jerry Rice on Friday.

"We are grateful to Jerry and the role he was willing to fill for the Seahawks last year," coach Mike Holmgren said. "He is one of the greatest players in the history of our game and we wish him nothing but the best."

The 42-year-old Rice has not announced his future plans, but still believes he can be a major contributor.

Most teams do not feel the same way. When the Oakland Raiders made Rice available before the trade deadline last October, only the Seahawks were willing to trade a seventh-round pick for him.

Rice ended up starting nine of 11 games with the Seahawks and caught 25 passes for 362 yards and three touchdowns. However, Rice failed to make a catch in Seattle's loss to the St. Louis Rams in the wild-card round.

Regarded as the greatest receiver in NFL history, Rice is the all-time leader with 1,549 catches for 22,895 yards and 208 touchdowns.

After leading Oakland with 63 receptions and 869 receiving yards in 2003, Rice had just five catches for 67 yards in six games last season before he was traded to Seattle. His record streak of 274 straight games with a reception was snapped during a 13-10 victory over the Buffalo Bills in Week Two.

A 13-time Pro Bowl receiver, Rice spent 16 seasons with the San Francisco 49ers and was a member of three Super Bowl-winning teams. He set career-highs with 122 catches for 1,848 yards in 1995.

If Rice attracts no interest as a free agent, he will likely retire.

• Carmine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2004

I just heard this as well...time to hang em up Jerry. Hats off on a great career...

Comment

• DLR7884
      ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Watch him sign with Baltimore.

DLR7884
      Originally Posted by WARF:
      DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

I somehow have this feeling that Detroit may be interested in him. They were before he signed with Oakland a few years back, and I'm not so sure they wouldn't mind having him around as a fourth option.

Who knows. Maybe he should retire.

Comment

• Jack68
          Commando
          • Sep 2004

Jerry Rice should fuck off and die having ruined being the greatest receiver of all time.To ask Steve Largent to unretire his jersey from the rafters so he can wipe his ass with it is pathetic.Fuck you Jerry rice its over and its been over.I could care less about his physical shape at 42 years old,i know he is in better shape now then i ever was but so what?Way to ruin your legacy.If he didnt take Largents # then i would retract the previous statement.
          Last edited by Jack68; 02-25-2005, 05:51 PM.
          "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• Lou

Yeah, that was bullshit. Jerry Rice was #80 with the 49ers, not #80 with the Seattle Seahawks.

Please, Jerry, RETIRE.

Comment

• MAX
              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

I thought Largent offered his number to Rice? If not, I agree that was lame.

I'll agree, twenty years is more than enough. Hang it up Jerry.
              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Jack68
                Commando
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                I thought Largent offered his number to Rice? If not, I agree that was lame.

I'll agree, twenty years is more than enough. Hang it up Jerry.
                Max,im almost positive his people inquired to Largent about unretiring his number.Whats Largent gonna say to a legend?No fuckin class on that one jerry.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

I'm hearing Tampa Bay may be contacting him....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

lmfao...fucking Tampa...you must be kidding me...

the only way I sign Jerry Rice...is if it's incentive laden...and I have 2 young guys ahead of him that can learn...

and I'm thinking Detroit...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

He'd be an improvement from what he got out of our #3 receiver last year and he would be more than a help to Charles Rogers and Roy Williams.

Hakim and Streets both may or not be back.

Comment

• redblkwht
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

He should be done the writings on the wall..
                        if detroit picks him up, it would be as a player/coach.
                        minimal impact if signed..

EUAS

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

I think even at his age that he's got plenty of gas left....

The guy is in phenomenal shape, always has...

The only reason his stats dropped was because Seattle didn't throw to him....
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Jack68
                            Commando
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                            I think even at his age that he's got plenty of gas left....

The guy is in phenomenal shape, always has...

The only reason his stats dropped was because Seattle didn't throw to him....
                            you must be kidding?

Comment

• Lou

Well actually, I'd take a 42 year old Jerry Rice over Freddie Mitchell

Comment

Working...