PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Revolver Live Review

Halen High
02-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Just saw Velvet Revolver live in Adelaide. One of the best gigs, if not THE best gig, I've ever been to.

Thankfully, due to poor ticket sales, the show was moved from the sterile, state-of-the-art 12,000 capacity Entertainment Centre to the classic old world setting of Thebarton Theatre, which holds about 2,000-2,500. The mix of the old world architecture and the decadence of a contemporary hard rock show made for a great atmosphere!

The crowd was amped and the whole evening went off big time. Velvet Revolver are hungry and keen to establish themselves, and this showed in the energy of their performance. They played almost their entire new album, plus two GnR tracks, It's So Easy and Used to Love Her. They also played that STP song that was huge back in the early 90s, but I can't think of its name right now.

The whole band are a tight, happy unit. Scott Weland and Slash have real chemistry and VR could have a long future if Weiland can keep his shit together and the GnR guys can resist any future reunion with Axel.

An interesting aspect was how the band's new singles, Slither, which they closed with, and Falling to Pieces, recieved as big a cheer and reaction from the crowd as did the GnR songs. That says something about how much effort these guys put into their new music and videos, unlike someone else we know.

I noticed a lot of Motley Crue t-shirts in the crowd so it looks like people are getting excited at seeing them down here too. Saw a lot of Kiss, ACDC, Ozzy and of course GnR t-shirts too, but not one VH shirt.
Looks like the brother's plan to kill off their band's legacy is working well.

The show had a classic rock feel to it, and I came away thinking how awesome a Classic VH show must have been back in the day, and how amazing it still would be if the brothers could just get over themselves.

If you get the chance don't hesitate to go see them!

smaz
02-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Shit, only sold 2500 tickets out of a possible 12,000??? Van Hagar should have been doing that too :D

I noticed one VH shirt when I saw 'em in January. I kept an eye out for 'em, while displaying my Got Roth shirt too :D

They did put on a good show, high energy, big sound. Enjoyed it very much!

Halen High
02-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I guess that's the sad state of rock today. A band like VR has to switch to a smaller venue while KD Lang sold out the 12,000 seater mentioned above last week! Go figure.

VR are putting out a second album late this year and with two albums, a DVD and a lot more promotion (very little for this one) they will probably play the arena next time.

Atomic_Rob
02-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Seein VR in a small intimate venue is a fuckin great experience, no doubt it was a blessing in disguise for you Halen High as big Arenas suck arse.

Halen High
02-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob
Seein VR in a small intimate venue is a fuckin great experience, no doubt it was a blessing in disguise for you Halen High as big Arenas suck arse.

Totally agree!

The atmosphere was charged and the band really connected with the audience, which is a lot harder to do in the bigger 'corporate' style venues. I thought the set-up with a small stage, great lighting and a VR neon sign with bullet holes in it was cool. It all helped to give an 'old school' feel to the night.

Slash was awesome. On top of his game and loving every minute of it. During 'Slither' he busted out two killer solos and the crowd went nuts.

Hopefully we'll get The Darkness down here too!

Nitro Express
03-07-2005, 02:02 PM
I got to hang with Slash a few years ago at the Sundance Film Festival. That dude doesn't have the rock star ego at all.