PDA

View Full Version : No one elected to Hall by Veterans Committee

ALinChainz
03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer

March 2, 2005

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Gil Hodges, Ron Santo and everyone else on the ballot fell short Wednesday as once again the baseball Veterans Committee failed to elect anyone to the Hall of Fame.

Hodges and Santo came the closest with 65 percent -- 75 percent was needed for induction. Tony Oliva and Jim Kaat were the only other players to be named on more than half of the 80 ballots.

In 2003, the redesigned Vets committee also pitched a shutout. There will not be another election until 2007, the same year managers, umpires and executives also will be considered.

The current 83-member committee includes 60 Hall of Famers. All but three turned in paper ballots this year.

Hodges and Santo both drew 52 votes, eight shy of what they needed. It was a slight improvement for Hodges, the former Brooklyn first baseman and New York Mets manager who fell 11 votes short in 2003.

Joe Torre, Maury Wills, Luis Tiant and Roger Maris were among the other players who got less than 50 percent this year. Thurman Munson and old-time pitcher Smoky Joe Wood each received only two votes.

Carmine
03-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Another bum year...Gil Hodges, Smokin Joe Wood, Roger Maris should ALL be in!!

I have a special place for Thurman Munson too, he's another.

a shame...

redblkwht
03-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I wonder if Pete Rose would get in this way, if allowed by the MLB..

Va Beach VH Fan
03-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
I have a special place for Thurman Munson too, he's another.

a shame...

Will all due respect for Munson, I honestly feel that any Hall of Fame mention is primarily based on his premature death...

Now had he had a complete chance to complete his career, he probably would have been a HOF contender....

Of course, being a Pirates fan, I still hear from time to time people questioning about how they put Clemente in the HOF on a special ballot after his death on New Years Eve in '72.... Two completely different situations, and two competely different ballplayers....

Carmine
03-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Will all due respect for Munson, I honestly feel that any Hall of Fame mention is primarily based on his premature death...

Now had he had a complete chance to complete his career, he probably would have been a HOF contender....

Of course, being a Pirates fan, I still hear from time to time people questioning about how they put Clemente in the HOF on a special ballot after his death on New Years Eve in '72.... Two completely different situations, and two competely different ballplayers....

I agree Beach...but just from what he did in his short, what 9 years?? and the fact that I'm a biased yankee fan...had he lived, no question.

No arguments on Clemente either...WELL deserved!

DlocRoth
03-04-2005, 10:02 AM
What about Tony Oliva?!?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Oliva's another one that has a lot of people shaking their heads at...

Damn impressive stats, maybe not over the course of his career, such as "only" 1917 hits, but a 3 time batting champ, 5 times led the AL in hits...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/olivato01.shtml

ALinChainz
03-04-2005, 11:38 PM
I think Munson should be in, and Oliva.

Tiant, Wills, Maris, hell yeah.

Some players historic place in the game from a playing sense should be considered.

If that makes sense.