PDA

View Full Version : John Chaney & Temple U

Lou
03-02-2005, 05:34 PM
I haven't seen this discussed, surprisingly. Any thoughts?

I think John Chaney should be FIRED. There was some candy-ass article on ComcastSportsNet.com about what a wonderful man he is...here it is:

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_1p.asp?ID=5024

Doing the right thing has rarely been a problem for John Chaney. He proved it again Monday by kicking himself off the Temple sideline for the rest of the season.

After the dangerous stunt Chaney pulled last week, he slapped himself with a one-game suspension. Then his university and the Atlantic 10 Conference put their heads together and bumped it to three. Being a stand-up guy, Chaney got around to acknowledging that wasn't long enough. Here's hoping he puts the time off to good use.

"I have devoted my basketball years not just to winning games and earning a salary, but to helping countless youngsters advance to adulthood with discipline, self-esteem and productive skills. ... How well I have succeeded is for others to determine, but I know I give those goals my best effort every day, and have done so for more than forty years,'' Chaney said in a statement.

"In view of all the circumstances, I believe the fair thing is for me not to coach during the Atlantic 10 Championship Tournament in Cincinnati.''

Considering the turn of events, it was the least he could do. Remember: he threatened to send a goon into Temple's game, made good on the threat and wound up robbing Saint Joseph's forward John Bryant of the last few months of his college career. The scary thing, at the time, was the way Chaney practically crowed over his handiwork. It came back to haunt him soon enough.

"Last week, my words and actions were wrong, wrong, wrong,'' Chaney said. "I never intended nor did any of my players intend for anyone to be injured, regardless of what may have been said emotionally before, during and after the game.''

The knock on Chaney has never been over motives, only methods. He is still treating basketball like war when he should know better. It's the same thing Bob Knight does, under the same banner of "molding'' men, and it's led to some of the same excesses.

But maybe when someone has been doing things one way all his life, it's the rest of us who should know better than to expect him to change. This episode won't mark the end of Chaney's run at Temple. But unless he changes, you'll be able to see it from here.

Rest assured that the next time Chaney rushes off to fight another battle, it will be the last time he does so while drawing a paycheck from Temple. University president David Adamany doesn't have to draw up a zero-tolerance policy, the way the administration did to finally pry Knight away from Indiana; his 73-year-old icon of a coach did it for him.

Chaney knows he's on the clock, but he also knows things could have turned out even worse. If last week's game was played at Saint Joseph's instead of Temple, it might have touched off a melee and then Chaney would have been done, right then and there.

That's why taking himself out of the A-10 conference tournament picture was such a good idea. Imagine if Temple and Saint Joseph wound up playing again, Chaney coaching furiously on one bench and Bryant looking on from the other, his broken arm still in a sling.

There's no making up for Saint Joseph's being forced to defend its regular-season league title without a key role player, and any coach who didn't have Chaney's stature would likely be out of a job already. But a guy who specialized in giving chances to so many kids deserves at least one more.

Chaney never graduated as many kids as he should have, but it's worth remembering that on sum, most of those who came into contact with him will swear he had an impact on their lives, helped determine what they did when they left the team and in plenty of cases, he helped get them there.

That's why guys like him become coaches in the first place and why, so long as they're successful, they get away with everything short of inciting a riot. Because they can lead. Chaney could, too -- once.

He's in the Hall of Fame for good reason, but Chaney hasn't ever been to the Final Four, hasn't taken Temple to the NCAA tournament the last three seasons, and no longer operates the baddest program in his own town anymore. That would be Saint Joe's, which has beaten the Owls -- illegal screens or not -- the last six times they've met.

Temple's days as a national program are in the past. The wonder is how he kept it in the spotlight this long, by sacrificing more than most big-time coaches and making do with less. But the real fight, the one that has to do with Chaney's survival, may just be beginning.

DLR7884
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
John Chaney is a fucking nutcase.

This incident as well as the "I'll kill you" incident with John Calipari confirms it.

I feel that he shouldn't be fired, and that he has done enough to make things better....St Joe's AD sent out a statment saying they accepted his apology.

The dyke who is the commissioner of the A-10 needs to get fucking fired for not doing a damn thing.

Chaney took himself out of the A-10 tourney, but the player who committed the fouls is still playing...what's that?

The player should sit as well as Chaney...

DLR7884
I'm sure he didn't want to hurt anyone....but he has some serious fucking issues w/anger mgmt.

JCOOK
03-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
John Chaney is a fucking nutcase.

This incident as well as the "I'll kill you" incident with John Calipari confirms it.

I feel that he shouldn't be fired, and that he has done enough to make things better....St Joe's AD sent out a statment saying they accepted his apology.

The dyke who is the commissioner of the A-10 needs to get fucking fired for not doing a damn thing.

Chaney took himself out of the A-10 tourney, but the player who committed the fouls is still playing...what's that?

The player should sit as well as Chaney...

DLR7884
I'm sure he didn't want to hurt anyone....but he has some serious fucking issues w/anger mgmt.

I gotta disagree on this one. I think he and Bob Knight should have been fired for this kind of behavior... Not that they aren't talented and caring coaches,both are. but this kind of stuff just cannot be tolerated

DLR7884
03-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
I gotta disagree on this one. I think he and Bob Knight should have been fired for this kind of behavior... Not that they aren't talented and caring coaches,both are. but this kind of stuff just cannot be tolerated

When I played sports, we did shit like this all the time....slide in spikes high to second base, hard fouls, etc.

Bob Knight is an asshole who should not be coaching.

Chaney is not as bad as Knight.

The stupid cunt AD said she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary at the game....meanwhile Chaney was admitting it in a press conference.

You actually think that goons in college basketball are something new???

DLR7884
Watch a Duke game....look for the big, tall, white guys who come in off the bench and commit "hard fouls."

JCOOK
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
When I played sports, we did shit like this all the time....slide in spikes high to second base, hard fouls, etc.

Bob Knight is an asshole who should not be coaching.

Chaney is not as bad as Knight.

The stupid cunt AD said she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary at the game....meanwhile Chaney was admitting it in a press conference.

You actually think that goons in college basketball are something new???

DLR7884
Watch a Duke game....look for the big, tall, white guys who come in off the bench and commit "hard fouls."

Can't disagree with you there.....It just makes me sick to my stomach ...and I'm a RAIDER fan:D

Va Beach VH Fan
03-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Maybe it's the fact that I actually have to step foot in Lou-adelphia next week, but once again I agree with him....

My feeling is absolutely he should be canned, and I think he will either be fired or step down within the next several weeks...

I agree that "goons" in college basketball in nothing new.... The key factor here is that Cheney broadcast his intentions the day before the game....

This is only the latest fuckup for him...

The run-ins with Calipari are not that bad, although storming a press conference shouting out that he's gonna kill Calipari isn't exactly good either....

I'm no law student, but isn't that called communicating a threat in the real world ??

Let's not forget, this is also a guy who slapped a player during a timeout and was caught on film doing it.... THAT SHOULD HAVE CANNED HIM RIGHT THERE.... Not even Bob Knight did that....

And I'll take it one step further, I'll even throw the race card out there...

I think he's at least temporarily keeping job because he's black, and Temple doesn't want another situation like Arkansas faced after they fired Nolan Richardson....

Lou
03-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Nolan Richardson at least won a championship.

Chaney has never gotten to a Final Four, yet is in the basketball hall of fame. John Chaney WAS a very good coach, but not anymore, and he shouldn't be in the hall of fame. And Temple has really been mediocre for a number of years now. They had one surprise run in 2000 I think it was, but they've been pretty mediocre the last 7 or 8 years. The recruiting isn't there. Also, Temple plays all these tough teams, and loses to all of them. You have to beat some of those teams or else it's pointless to play them.

WHOYOUFUCKINJOE
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
No shit that's the only reason Cheney ain't fired. Its also the only reason he got hired. They might as well make a rule that once you hire a black coach, you cannot fire him. Isn't it amazing how few black coaches there are and yet the ones always causing controversy always seem to be black (Hal Mcrae, Nolan Richardson and now Cheney. Fuck, ya fire one of em, your gonna have Jesse Jackson and about 100,000 other animals protesting all over the court house steps. Unbelievable.

JoeTHUNDER'SMAN
03-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by WHOYOUFUCKINJOE
No shit that's the only reason Cheney ain't fired. Its also the only reason he got hired. They might as well make a rule that once you hire a black coach, you cannot fire him. Isn't it amazing how few black coaches there are and yet the ones always causing controversy always seem to be black (Hal Mcrae, Nolan Richardson and now Cheney. Fuck, ya fire one of em, your gonna have Jesse Jackson and about 100,000 other animals protesting all over the court house steps. Unbelievable.

Oh Joey! Isn't time to get over that prison anal raping? Just becasue those men were black doesn't mean all black coaches suck!

JCOOK
03-03-2005, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by WHOYOUFUCKINJOE

You're 'just pissed off because you don't know which one fathered your stupid fucking ass and didn't pay child support
FFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GG!:blow:

cwsmith17
03-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Chaney should be executed.

DLR7884
03-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by cwsmith17
Chaney should be executed.

Thanks for your psychotic opinion, madman.

DLR7884
Christ....