PDA

View Full Version : Mr Badguy`s melodic rock thread!

Mr Badguy
03-03-2005, 05:25 PM
What is the most uncool music in the world right now?

Melodic rock, AOR or whatever you want to call it.

That means that it`s cool with me.

I don`t mean the David Hasselhofs or REO Speedwagons of the world either.

Recently I`ve found myself digging out a few albums from way back and been surprised at how good they are.

Night Ranger "Dawn patrol"
House of lords "House of lords"
Drive, she said "Drive, she said"
Asia "Asia"
Giuffria "Giuffria"
Journey "Escape"

There`s some good stuff out there when you get past some of the mulleted, big ballad shit that`s normal associated with the genre.

Anonymous
03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
I recommend Night Ranger too, it's cool, sorta like progressive rock.

Cheers! :bottle:

secrets
03-03-2005, 06:46 PM
I am so fucking predictable but I have to give a plug to Hold Your Fire by Rush. and yes this one qualifies as melodic rock big time.

Recently been playing it in the car and it is an excellent album.

It's got a lot of critics here I'm sure. Sounds totally like as if they sold out and went pop. Fuck no. That is not the case. Yes there are a few I would have taken off but not many.

I would even go as far as to say it's one of their best albums.

Anonymous
03-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Fuck, Rush! I was thinking about them, forgot to post it! Yeah, they rule. Prog rock, too.

Mr Badguy
03-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by secrets
I am so fucking predictable but I have to give a plug to Hold Your Fire by Rush. and yes this one qualifies as melodic rock big time.

Recently been playing it in the car and it is an excellent album.

It's got a lot of critics here I'm sure. Sounds totally like as if they sold out and went pop. Fuck no. That is not the case. Yes there are a few I would have taken off but not many.

I would even go as far as to say it's one of their best albums.

Yeah!

All of the mid-eighties Rush albums get a rough ride but I love all of them.

"Signals" is my own all time favourite and "Power windows" is a phenomenal album for a three piece band.

"Hold your fire" is another high quality record, how "Time stand still" wasn`t a bigger hit I`ll never know.

Rush must be the most consistant album makers ever, every LP from "2112" through to the present day has been great with the very odd exception ("Presto" and "Counterparts") and even they aren`t rubbish.

Mr Badguy
03-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
I recommend Night Ranger too, it's cool, sorta like progressive rock.

Absolutlely.

Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson`s guitar partnership is one of the greatest, although they`re often forgotten about due to the uncoolness of the music they`re associated with.

They could rock out as well even though most people only think of stuff like "Sister christian" or "Sentimental street".

Check out "Don`t tell me you love me", "Touch of madness" or "Faces", they ain`t no REO pussies.

Denny
03-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Absolutlely.

Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson`s guitar partnership is one of the greatest, although they`re often forgotten about due to the uncoolness of the music they`re associated with.

They could rock out as well even though most people only think of stuff like "Sister christian" or "Sentimental street".

Check out "Don`t tell me you love me", "Touch of madness" or "Faces", they ain`t no REO pussies.

Night Ranger were fucking GRATE!!!!!

Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson are probably the most underated players of all time.

secrets
03-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Yeah!

All of the mid-eighties Rush albums get a rough ride but I love all of them.

"Signals" is my own all time favourite and "Power windows" is a phenomenal album for a three piece band.

"Hold your fire" is another high quality record, how "Time stand still" wasn`t a bigger hit I`ll never know.

Rush must be the most consistant album makers ever, every LP from "2112" through to the present day has been great with the very odd exception ("Presto" and "Counterparts") and even they aren`t rubbish.

Exactly, totally underrated. Could it be their image that has let them down all these years?

BTW Scotland totally rules. Especially my island.....Surrey.

Oh what fun we are going to have come May day. Oh yes indeed.

secrets
03-04-2005, 01:37 PM
This one is also very good. You must own it! But then again you most probably do if you are from Scotland. Sesh and Bad guy know exactly what I'm on about and if not....that is a disgrace.

Mr Badguy
03-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by secrets
This one is also very good. You must own it! But then again you most probably do if you are from Scotland. Sesh and Bad guy know exactly what I'm on about and if not....that is a disgrace.

Marillion were the REAL alternative rock back in the Fish days.

Noone else was doing anything like them in the era of NWOBHM, the new romantics and ska.

There were ten-a-penny of those bands but only one Marillion.

secrets
03-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Too true u have a heart of Lothian my son.

Mr Grimsdale
03-08-2005, 04:25 PM
this is fookin' ace

but mr badguy is required in the dump

he is required to fulfil his dump meister obligations and post TOTAL!

secrets
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Grim haven't seen u here for a while.

The Scatologist
03-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I recommend TMG, a super group formed last year with

Tak Matsumoto from the B'z on guitar
Eric Martin from Mr Big
Jack Blades from Night Ranger, Damn Yankees
and Brian Tichy from Pride and Glory, and Slash's Snakepit

Jérôme Frenchise
03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
I recommend TMG, a super group formed last year with

Tak Matsumoto from the B'z on guitar
Eric Martin from Mr Big
Jack Blades from Night Ranger, Damn Yankees
and Brian Tichy from Pride and Glory, and Slash's Snakepit

Oh yeah! The Damn Yankees, with the great great Ted Nugent... One band I know about, at last. Safe Marillion, which I personally can't bear - so insignificant - (sorry, for what it's worth):smoke2:

Panamark
03-09-2005, 02:50 AM
Hey TMG was the Ted Mulry Gang in OZ !!

Fookin rip offs,,

Mr Badguy
03-09-2005, 06:41 AM
TOTAL!

Mr Grimsdale
03-09-2005, 06:48 AM
oh come!

you know what i mean

TOTAL!
the dump needs TOTAL!

TOTAL! everywhere

Mr Badguy
03-09-2005, 07:09 AM
TOTAL!

Cato
03-09-2005, 08:23 AM
oi Sabu, how do you think about Stryper?

Mr Badguy
03-09-2005, 11:27 AM
It depends how seriously you take the lyrics.

If I can listen to Iron Maiden without becoming a devil worshiper then I could listen to Stryper without feeling the urge to go to church.

Michael Sweet`s vocals are a bit OTT sometimes, though.

Mr Badguy
03-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Oi Cato!

They played "To hell with the devil" last night on Planet Rock radio here in the UK.

Did you put a request in for it or are you just clairvoyant?

Cato
03-10-2005, 05:17 PM
you = aho

Warham
03-10-2005, 05:42 PM
The Damn Yankees were pretty good, even if it was throwaway material.

Mr Badguy
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Cato
you = aho

fact X importance = news