PDA

View Full Version : CD archiving..

thepunisher
03-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey Army.
For the longest time I have been looking to find a really cool CD holder for all my CD's and it occured to me that this sucks. I haven't been able to find one I think is cool enough and able to hold all my CD's.
Then it occured to me that if I backup all my cd's and rip them I can serve them up to a PC.
I am a computer professional and got started in the era of MP3's. And I know that mp3 is pretty shitty though, so what's the best format to keep the integrity and sound of the music as good as the original CD's and use the optimal compression?
Also what applications do you use to rip them?
Thanks...

Anonymous
03-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Well if you rip them into mp3 at 192 Kbps using Winamp 5 Pro using the Very High quality setting - just try it, it's actually simpler than it sounds (if it sounds complicated at all) - you'll get very near CD quality. I did it with my VH cds and classical music collection, and it really sounds great.

The only problem with Very High is that it rips mp3 at 0.8x speed, so it takes a helluva long time. I actually started using the High only setting, and once again, no complaints there. It sounds pretty much the same as listening to the cds.

I have a Soundblaster Audigy and 5.1 speakers, and am a sound loony, but the mp3 that I rip through Winamp show very little - if any - loss. I recommend it big time.

Of course, you have to pay for going Pro with Winamp... but I noticed you said you're a computer professional, so I guess you'll have no trouble circumventing this minor obstacle. ;)

Cheers! :bottle:

Coyote
03-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by thepunisher
Hey Army.
For the longest time I have been looking to find a really cool CD holder for all my CD's and it occured to me that this sucks. I haven't been able to find one I think is cool enough and able to hold all my CD's.
Then it occured to me that if I backup all my cd's and rip them I can serve them up to a PC.
I am a computer professional and got started in the era of MP3's. And I know that mp3 is pretty shitty though, so what's the best format to keep the integrity and sound of the music as good as the original CD's and use the optimal compression?
Also what applications do you use to rip them?
Thanks...

CdEX (my weapon of choice) (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/)

Rikk
03-04-2005, 01:05 PM
LOL...I'm waiting for LOU-ser to post in here and start screaming.:p

CROWBAR
03-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
LOL...I'm waiting for LOU-ser to post in here and start screaming.:p

Damn! You beat me to the punch Rikk!!

LMAO!!:D

Anonymous
03-04-2005, 08:54 PM
What, about the mp3s? Nothing wrong with them... What's FLAC, by the way?

Cheers! :bottle: