PDA

View Full Version : Vai album - Real Illusions

monkeythe
03-05-2005, 01:17 AM
From the liner notes:
Real Illusions: Reflections is the 1st part of a multilayered menagerie of vignettes based on the amplified menatl exaggerations of a truth seeking madman who sees the world...Oh, never mind

To make this fucking thing even more ridiculous this is a 3 part concept album and this is the last piece of it, the first 2 parts where this truth seeking madman does whatever he is reflecting about yet haven't been released yet.

The music is not up to the standards VAi has set for himself, it comes across as rather boring and repetitive, two things that a Vai's albums have never been.

As far as these liner notes & ,most of the lyrics go, I haven't read anything this delussional since reading the Ultimate Warriors describing the powers of destrucity on his website (if you ever wanted an example of how steroids mess up the mind, his website is a must read)

Just an example of the crap this album is about: Song 1 Building the church liner notes:
As Pamposh walked from the gathering, there immediately came a massive, heavyweight gravity storm. Internalizing the mammoth, black-hole-like magnitude manifesting from the stormand wielding the mass of his intellect-matched only by his piety- caused a conscious edifice to materialize before the townspeople. Appearing over the entrance was the name of the structure. He then de-gravitized and faded like a whisper on the wind, into the ether.

Mr Badguy
03-05-2005, 03:55 AM
He`s trying too hard to be a modern day Frank Zappa.

I wasn`t thinking of buying it anyway but thanks for eradicating any doubts I might have had.

When did Vai last make a decent album?

"Sex and religion"?

Soul Reaper
03-05-2005, 07:50 AM
I never expected it to be really good anyway, thanks for telling me.

Passion and Warfare is still, in my opinion, his best album.

Matt White
03-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Vai is an overrated Mongolian string-bender. And, from what a friend who worked for him for over a year tells me, an ASSHOLE to boot.

vanzilla
03-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Man I bought that piece of shit a week ago and I'm now using it as a coaster. They should play that CD at Gitmo to torture terrorists. I thought Steve with Dave was great, but the shit he's putting out now sounds like 2 birds masturbating. Shit he even teamed up with Billy Sheehan and couldn't come up with anything better than this half assed crap.

Just goes to show you how a great guitarist is at best mediocre without a great frontman.

Eat 'Em & Smile = Classic, put Vai on the map

Reflections: Real Illusions = Shitty, put Vai in the cut-out bin.

Now with that said, I'm still going to see him Wednesday in Nashville. He does rock live - only because he stays away from that alien symphony shit. I'll post a review after the show.

bueno bob
03-07-2005, 03:42 AM
The last Steve Vai album I actually liked was "Skyscraper".

Hardrock69
03-07-2005, 01:06 PM
I will see him Wednesday night here in Gnashville.

I will give a book report on Thursday.

PenguinsKID1986
03-07-2005, 07:23 PM
I love those Goth chicks