X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Woot!!! I Got It!!!

I had my eye on a Marshall Slant cabinet for the past 5 or 6 weeks.

I suddenly realized a couple of weeks ago, so what if it looks a little beat up (grill cloth needs replaceing, missing at least one plastic corner), $325 for a REAL Marshall cab is a steal! Then I looked at the ad online and realized the music store peeps think it is a 1976 cabinet, and it has 3 G12 25-watt greenbacks and one g12 65-watt speaker in it! ORIGINAL GREENBACK SPEAKERS! :eek:

This cabinet is worth way more than $325!!!!!! And I can go to ampparts.com or someplace and get replacement parts. I WILL be looking for a real 25-watt Greenback as well, so I can have all 4 of the original type speakers in it again.

So I put 50% down on it Friday. I am paying it off this Friday.

WOOHOO!!!

Last edited by Hardrock69; 03-06-2005, 06:42 PM.
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I like beat up cabs. They have character !
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

It will be the only cab you will ever need. I love greenbacks and my 1960 B cab sounds good with every amp I have. In fact, it even sounded sweet with a 5150 combo pushing it. It also sounds great clean. You really can't go wrong. Marshall cabs are tough, a few rips, tears, beer spills, cigarette burns is all part of the game.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Also at that same store was a road case rack about 5 feet tall with Alice Cooper's name stenciled on it....I believe it also said something like "Stage Left".

Broadway Music in Gnashville is mainly a consignment/used gear store. I have found some killer deals there over the past few years...

I am counting the days until Friday, when I can take this beast home and fire it up!

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

congrats HR69!!! ...
          Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

I just do not believe this......

I got the cabinet home last night. Took the back off. 3 G12 25-watt Celestions, and one G12 65-watt Celestion.

And what is this? Somebody signed the inside wall of the cabinet.....

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Here is a pic of the front......

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I would say the cabinet is a keeper! That's deffinately Jim Marshall's signature because I have a book signed by him and it looks just like the signature in you cab. Congrats! Great find!
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

The serial numbers on the top two speakers indicate they are from 1976. THe other 25-watt speaker seems to be a 1977. The 65-watt G12 I can't figure out the number. And the date Jim Marshall signed the cabinet is 12-15-81.

So much for the dating of the cabinet haha....

Here is the full rig with my Flying V......

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

I can't tell from the fuzzy pic, but if there's a gold piping going around the top and bottom, especially on the outside of whats' called the "skid-trays" that the heads' feet sit in, it probably is a mid-70's cab and a great find.

Original black-back 25's from the 70's.. I could suggest a few things you could do:

- ebay the worst-sounding of the 3 25's AND the 65, then replace them with celestion blue 15 watters (that's another $550 but well worth it) or a pair of G12H - 30 watters

- ebay the worst sounding of the three 25's, and find a 65 watter to match the other 65 watter for an even pair of 25/65's (I like that)

- just rewire the best sounding pair of 25's in the slant top, parallel to get 8 ohms and leave it that way.

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Congrats HR69, welcome to the world of real Rock and Roll AMPS.
                      Looks almost like a plexi head from your blurred pic...
                      If so, great buy !!
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

So tell us all, how does it fucking sound ??
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Cathedral
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Re: Woot!!! I Got It!!!

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                          I had my eye on a Marshall Slant cabinet for the past 5 or 6 weeks.

I suddenly realized a couple of weeks ago, so what if it looks a little beat up (grill cloth needs replaceing, missing at least one plastic corner), $325 for a REAL Marshall cab is a steal! Then I looked at the ad online and realized the music store peeps think it is a 1976 cabinet, and it has 3 G12 25-watt greenbacks and one g12 65-watt speaker in it! ORIGINAL GREENBACK SPEAKERS! :eek:

This cabinet is worth way more than $325!!!!!! And I can go to ampparts.com or someplace and get replacement parts. I WILL be looking for a real 25-watt Greenback as well, so I can have all 4 of the original type speakers in it again.

So I put 50% down on it Friday. I am paying it off this Friday.

WOOHOO!!!

$100.00 and the material and i'll replace that grill cloth for you to factory specs,(actually, it'll be better than factory).
                          I can even recover that cab for you too, just add another $100 and cover the cost of the factory vinyl for it. the corner isn't a problem either. shipping for the cab on the other hand won't be cheap, and you'll be paying that also, both ways.
                          (remove the speakers and reducing the weight will save major coin)

You can have a restored cab in no time for $200 in labor.

And i'm serious here, I used to do this for a living...

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

I used to charge $149 in the recycler, materials included!

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Gar's your man then, I can't get the materials at a decent price without using Non-Marshall stuff.

I toyed with the idea of starting a restoration shop, but this fucking town is not the market for it.
                              Most people prefer their gear to have that used look anyway.

Comment

Working...