X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Scatologist
    Sniper
    • Jan 2005

The new Priest Album kicks ASS

I just bought it today, sounds like classic priest!

JUDAS FUCKING PRIEST BABY!
    The name Sammy Hagar conjures up a variety of emotions from music fans--from hate to contempt, from disgust to revulsion.

-TheSmokingGun.com
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

I've only heard soundbytes thus far, but from what I heard it sounded fairly shitty...I could be wrong...
    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Not Shitty, theres a bit of everything on there. From older style priest ballads to full on metal rockers. Not bad at all for 12 years apart.
      Halfords vox are in top shape.

Deserves support, may there be more !!
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Yeah, it`s all good...

...Up until "Lochness"!

That song is shit.

I`ve heard favourable comparisons with "Rime of the ancient mariner" but they are worlds apart.

At no time does "ROTAM" get boring, but with "Lochness" I can`t wait `til it finishes.

The song goes nowhere and lumbers along for 13 minutes and has a chorus which sounds like a bad German metal band.

I would have glady waited another couple of months if that`s what it took for them to either get the song right or write something else.

Roy Z must take the blame.

He was the producer and should have told them that it wasn`t up to scratch.

That`s his job.

For a band that have never done a song longer than ten minutes long before, they shouldn`t have started here.
        sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• WACF
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

I like it.

The drums should of been mixed better in my opinion.
          The double kick is nice but sounds crappy.

Like Panamark said there is a bit of everything on there.

Could not agree more on Lochness...that song should of been dumped or reworked.
          I used to listen to "ROTAM" over and over...Lochness once and most likely never again.
          Not a good way to end the disc!

JUDAS IS RISING!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by WACF
            Could not agree more on Lochness...that song should of been dumped or reworked.
            I used to listen to "ROTAM" over and over...Lochness once and most likely never again.
            Not a good way to end the disc!
            When I first heard the idea of "Lochness" I thought, "yes, what a great idea for a metal song. I wonder why it hasn`t been done before?".

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that it was too goofy an idea.

The way Priest have done it only proves that.

Iron Maiden came close to Spinal Tap with the song "Dance of death", but at least that was good.

Priest have come up with a "Stonehenge" in "Lochness".
            sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
              I've only heard soundbytes thus far, but from what I heard it sounded fairly shitty...I could be wrong...
              I think you'll dig it Bob. MOre of an "Old school" Priest sound, Pre-"British Steel".
              I bought it the day it came out and it FUCKING ROCKS.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

It is just like all their previous releases in that there is some cheese, some stuff not so great, and some stuff that kicks ass.

Roy Z does NOT know how to record/mix drums.

Scott Travis's drums should sound like they did on Painkiller.

Yet on this record, it sounds like someone beating on cardboard boxes covered with wet towels.

They should have got Tom Allom or Chris Tsangarides to produce.

Oh well.

Too late now.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Travis`s drumming is always brilliant on the flashy drum stuff but I think he comes up short when they do the kind of "Living after midnight" or "Turbo lover" straight ahead rock beat.

If they ever get rid of him they should get the drummer Halford had in Halford (the band).

He could play everything tight as fuck, from "Painkiller" to "Riding on the wind" to "Tyrant".

I rate him better than Travis.
                  sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                    I think you'll dig it Bob. MOre of an "Old school" Priest sound, Pre-"British Steel".
                    I bought it the day it came out and it FUCKING ROCKS.
                    That right there sold me

My copies of everything between "Rocka Rolla" (yeah, THAT "Rocka Rolla") and up to "Unleashed in the East" get more airtime in my rig than any other Priest album...70's or bust, man, can you dig my groove?

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

The only Hlaford priest album I didnt like was "Turbo Lover". Sounded like KK and Tipton were just playing with the guitar synth.

I cant think of another album I didnt like.

That really early priest stuff is awesome, always overlooked,
                      way underrated.
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• bueno bob
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Totally behind you on that, Pan. "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Sin After Sin", "Stained Class" and "Hell Bent for Leather" are some of the finest moments of music ever put to tape, so far as I'm concerned.

And I don't think Priest will ever write a ballad to match the beauty and sheer grace of "Last Rose of Summer". That song has always been very special to me, and always will be.

God damn, it'd be nice if they'd dust it off on the tour...wow...even Hagar's fat ass blocking the door couldn't keep me away from that show, just to even hear that one song live...
                        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Big Train
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Something I'm curious about.

I'm in the business myself and reading about this release this week, they said that half of the copies sold were in Dual Disc format, which is pretty unheard of.

Of you guys who bought it, did any of you get it in this format? If so, is it worth it to you as a consumer? What do you like, not like about it>?

Comment

• bueno bob
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

OK, just bought it today and listened to it front to back.

WOW.

Very well done, I must admit - I just wish it had an extra two songs on it or so...even though Lochness clocks in at 13 minutes, I'd have rather had a few extras to go with.

Still, I heard a lot of the 70's influence, no doubt. Eulogy brought back memories of Epitaph (from Sad Wings of Destiny for you ignorant bastards) and Worth Fighting For sorta reminded me of Stained Class stuff in a way. Judas Rising is a great opening track, and Deal with the Devil, Wheels of Fire, Demonizer, Hellrider...all classic Priest, no doubt.

I hope this goes over really well for them, and I'm sure Sony's not at all disappointed abour resigning them - this is a very quality product!

Glad to see I was wrong about my first impressions!
                            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

And, of course, I think "Angel" is grate!!
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...