PDA

View Full Version : The new Priest Album kicks ASS

The Scatologist
03-07-2005, 01:55 AM
I just bought it today, sounds like classic priest!

JUDAS FUCKING PRIEST BABY!

bueno bob
03-07-2005, 03:41 AM
I've only heard soundbytes thus far, but from what I heard it sounded fairly shitty...I could be wrong...

Panamark
03-07-2005, 04:03 AM
Not Shitty, theres a bit of everything on there. From older style priest ballads to full on metal rockers. Not bad at all for 12 years apart.
Halfords vox are in top shape.

Deserves support, may there be more !!

Mr Badguy
03-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah, it`s all good...

...Up until "Lochness"!

That song is shit.

I`ve heard favourable comparisons with "Rime of the ancient mariner" but they are worlds apart.

At no time does "ROTAM" get boring, but with "Lochness" I can`t wait `til it finishes.

The song goes nowhere and lumbers along for 13 minutes and has a chorus which sounds like a bad German metal band.

I would have glady waited another couple of months if that`s what it took for them to either get the song right or write something else.

Roy Z must take the blame.

He was the producer and should have told them that it wasn`t up to scratch.

That`s his job.

For a band that have never done a song longer than ten minutes long before, they shouldn`t have started here.

WACF
03-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I like it.

The drums should of been mixed better in my opinion.
The double kick is nice but sounds crappy.

Like Panamark said there is a bit of everything on there.

Could not agree more on Lochness...that song should of been dumped or reworked.
I used to listen to "ROTAM" over and over...Lochness once and most likely never again.
Not a good way to end the disc!

JUDAS IS RISING!!!!!!!!

Mr Badguy
03-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by WACF
Could not agree more on Lochness...that song should of been dumped or reworked.
I used to listen to "ROTAM" over and over...Lochness once and most likely never again.
Not a good way to end the disc!

When I first heard the idea of "Lochness" I thought, "yes, what a great idea for a metal song. I wonder why it hasn`t been done before?".

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that it was too goofy an idea.

The way Priest have done it only proves that.

Iron Maiden came close to Spinal Tap with the song "Dance of death", but at least that was good.

Priest have come up with a "Stonehenge" in "Lochness".

Matt White
03-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I've only heard soundbytes thus far, but from what I heard it sounded fairly shitty...I could be wrong...

I think you'll dig it Bob. MOre of an "Old school" Priest sound, Pre-"British Steel".
I bought it the day it came out and it FUCKING ROCKS.

Hardrock69
03-07-2005, 01:08 PM
It is just like all their previous releases in that there is some cheese, some stuff not so great, and some stuff that kicks ass.

Roy Z does NOT know how to record/mix drums.

Scott Travis's drums should sound like they did on Painkiller.

Yet on this record, it sounds like someone beating on cardboard boxes covered with wet towels.

They should have got Tom Allom or Chris Tsangarides to produce.

Oh well.

Too late now.

Mr Badguy
03-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Travis`s drumming is always brilliant on the flashy drum stuff but I think he comes up short when they do the kind of "Living after midnight" or "Turbo lover" straight ahead rock beat.

If they ever get rid of him they should get the drummer Halford had in Halford (the band).

He could play everything tight as fuck, from "Painkiller" to "Riding on the wind" to "Tyrant".

I rate him better than Travis.

bueno bob
03-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I think you'll dig it Bob. MOre of an "Old school" Priest sound, Pre-"British Steel".
I bought it the day it came out and it FUCKING ROCKS.

That right there sold me :)

My copies of everything between "Rocka Rolla" (yeah, THAT "Rocka Rolla") and up to "Unleashed in the East" get more airtime in my rig than any other Priest album...70's or bust, man, can you dig my groove?

:D

Panamark
03-08-2005, 04:12 AM
The only Hlaford priest album I didnt like was "Turbo Lover". Sounded like KK and Tipton were just playing with the guitar synth.

I cant think of another album I didnt like.

That really early priest stuff is awesome, always overlooked,
way underrated.

bueno bob
03-08-2005, 04:15 AM
Totally behind you on that, Pan. "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Sin After Sin", "Stained Class" and "Hell Bent for Leather" are some of the finest moments of music ever put to tape, so far as I'm concerned.

And I don't think Priest will ever write a ballad to match the beauty and sheer grace of "Last Rose of Summer". That song has always been very special to me, and always will be.

God damn, it'd be nice if they'd dust it off on the tour...wow...even Hagar's fat ass blocking the door couldn't keep me away from that show, just to even hear that one song live...

Big Train
03-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Something I'm curious about.

I'm in the business myself and reading about this release this week, they said that half of the copies sold were in Dual Disc format, which is pretty unheard of.

Of you guys who bought it, did any of you get it in this format? If so, is it worth it to you as a consumer? What do you like, not like about it>?

bueno bob
03-14-2005, 02:37 AM
OK, just bought it today and listened to it front to back.

WOW.

Very well done, I must admit - I just wish it had an extra two songs on it or so...even though Lochness clocks in at 13 minutes, I'd have rather had a few extras to go with.

Still, I heard a lot of the 70's influence, no doubt. Eulogy brought back memories of Epitaph (from Sad Wings of Destiny for you ignorant bastards) and Worth Fighting For sorta reminded me of Stained Class stuff in a way. Judas Rising is a great opening track, and Deal with the Devil, Wheels of Fire, Demonizer, Hellrider...all classic Priest, no doubt.

I hope this goes over really well for them, and I'm sure Sony's not at all disappointed abour resigning them - this is a very quality product!

Glad to see I was wrong about my first impressions!

bueno bob
03-14-2005, 02:38 AM
And, of course, I think "Angel" is grate!!

Panamark
03-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Angel is awesome. Very old school ..

Hardrock69
03-14-2005, 01:35 PM
I had heard the Dual Disc format was going to be used....and I expected that is what I would get.

When I got home and unwrapped my package, I found out it was a booklet with a cd AND a DVD in it. No Dual Disc.

So apparently Dual Disc is not the only format they are selling it in.

The Alexster666
03-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Halford's vox make up for the lack of song structure...Lochness is the worst on the album.

When ripper was in, the songs were fuckin hard, too hard for Priest. i think this was a test the waters album...I think their true abilities will show on the next album,,,if their will be one...all we can do is support PRIEST!!!

bueno bob
03-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by The Alexster666
Halford's vox make up for the lack of song structure...Lochness is the worst on the album.

When ripper was in, the songs were fuckin hard, too hard for Priest. i think this was a test the waters album...I think their true abilities will show on the next album,,,if their will be one...all we can do is support PRIEST!!!

I don't think they're going anywhere for a little while...they'll ride out the reunion wave for as long as they can, then chill it out a bit and throw out shit from the vaults, more like than not - the same way Maiden's doing it.

I LOVED "Jugulator" and "Demolition" both - lyrically weak, of course Glenn gets all the blame for that, but HEAVIER than shit! Outstanding albums, both.

Bill Lumbergh
03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
I actually really like it a lot. Not up there Painkiller, Stained Class etc. of course, but after 15 years apart, I think they did a great job. It debuted at 13 on the Billboard charts BTW.

Vinnie Velvet
03-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I think the new album is great.

While not as good as say Sad Wings, British Steel or even Screaming, its a worthy inclusion to the Priest repertoire.

bueno bob
03-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
It debuted at 13 on the Billboard charts BTW.

Virtually UNHEARD OF for a metal band to debut that high in today's day and age...no small feat, indeed.

Diver Down NJ
03-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Deal With the Devil alone makes this album worth the purchase price. That tune fucking SMOKES!!!!

Mr Badguy
03-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
It debuted at 13 on the Billboard charts BTW.

It only made No. 51 here in the UK.

That shows the poor state of Metal in this country.

I feel ashamed at the shittiness of the radio, TV and music press over here, who do nothing but back boy bands, reality TV stars, soap stars and any other piss.

Not just Metal but anything that ain`t pop gets no coverage.

Bill Lumbergh
03-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Virtually UNHEARD OF for a metal band to debut that high in today's day and age...no small feat, indeed.

Yep. It'd be nice if it could reach Gold status.

Shaun Ponsonby
03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I bought 2.

I went to get the LTD. ED. with the DVD, but they had sold out of them, so, because I wanted the album so badly, I got the ordinary version. Next day I got the DVD version. So, I have 2.

It kicks serious ASS. 'Deal With The Devil' is just classic Priest at it's best.

As for 'Lochness', what is wrong with a bit of studio experimentation? They probably stuck it at the end so that if people don't like it, it doesn't interfere with the rest of the album. I think musically it's fine, but the subject matter ruins it ("Lochness/Confess" and "This legend..." shut up, Rob...). If it wasn't for all that, I wouldn't have much of a problem with it.

Oh, yeah-and I'm seeing them on Monday, In Manchester, with The Scorpions. That will kick a whole lotta ass!!!

Shaun Ponsonby
03-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
It only made No. 51 here in the UK.

That shows the poor state of Metal in this country.

I feel ashamed at the shittiness of the radio, TV and music press over here, who do nothing but back boy bands, reality TV stars, soap stars and any other piss.

Not just Metal but anything that ain`t pop gets no coverage.

I saw that it entered at number 16 in the HMV chart, at least.

Bill Lumbergh
03-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I agree Shaun. I don't hate the song, but I think the lyric's are terrible. Eulogy(the song leading into "Lochness") is great though......