X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Just bought a new car...

OK, here's my deal - just bought a '97 Kia Sephia (and driving it is much like a dream, considering I've been banging around in a beat up '88 Ford Aerostar family van for the last two and a half years or so). The thing runs great, just took it out for a 50 mile test drive and didn't have any problems, handled like it was brand new.

Here's my issue.

I've got several dummy lights on, those being "check engine", the battery "charge" light and the "gas" light. The gas is fine - had a near full tank when I started, closing in on over half a tank now, so there's no real issue with the gas in the tank. Now, in so far as the "charge" and "check engine" lights are concerned, the battery is fine (just bought a brand new one for it yesterday as the old battery in it wasn't holding a charge); ran the lights, heater, CD player, et al, and if there was a problem with the alternator, I'd imagine it would have died in, oh, ten seconds tops - not made it for a fifty mile trip with no problems.

There is a belt issue somewhere, as it does a fair amount of squealing under the hood, and since I don't seem to have any issues with the battery or the alternator, I'm wondering if maybe I just have a bad alternator belt, and that could be what's causing all the dummy lights (or, at the very least, the "check engine" and "charge" lights...I don't know why the "gas" light would be on, but maybe it's just a sensor malfunction?).

If anybody has any insight, it'd be totally bitchin'. I'm taking it into the dealership tomorrow anyway, I was just hoping that somebody with some technical expertise into automotives might be able to point me in the right direction so I don't end up spending umpteen hundreds of dollars on repairs that may not be necessary.

Thanks Kids!
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I'm no expert in any way...but my SERVICE engine has been coming on for three years and my mechanic has checked everything. It turned out to just be a chip issue. Those lights are always fucking up because of an electronic issue that ain't related whatsoever to any engine problem. I also doubt very much if the belt could cause the light to come on like that. Plus, the gas and battery lights coming on without reason also proves that it's probably an electronic malfunction.

Again, I'm no expert, but that's just my opinion.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Cool beans, buddy! Music to my ears - let's hope you're right!

So what the fuck's going on in this place tonight, anyway?
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Kinda dead tonight, huh? Methinks KATYDID waltzed in and opened her legs.

Oh, absolutely still make sure you take it in and get it checked out. Better safe than sorry. And replace the belt if you have to anyway. Another thing you shouldn't fuck around with.
        Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
          Methinks KATYDID waltzed in and opened her legs.
          Excuse me while I blank that image from my head - be right back...
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

the "check engine" light is almost always an emissions issue. probably an oxygen sensor or something.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Hmm...actually I was kinda wondering about that. Well, like I said, it's going into the shop tomorrow for the general lookover, so hopefully it won't come to too much cash if any repairs are needed. I unfortunately live right in the county where emissions checks are a necessity, which is a pain in the ass because the last county I lived in didn't require them, but...oh well...

I'll ask them about it tomorrow.
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Multiple warning light coming on or warning lights on when there isn't a problem is usually a A) Bad sensor B) a computer problem or C) a wiring problem.

You can pull the codes from the car's computer and that will usually tell you if a sensor is bad. If the car is new, just let the dealer handle the problem, they get all sorts of memo regarding car problems and on modern cars, electronic problems are very common.

I have a 31 Ford coupe hot rod with a old fashioned breaker point ignition. I keep it tuned up but that car is so reliable. I've been through two new Chevy Suberbans. One had a faulty engine that burned oil and the second one had catastrophic failure in the front transaxle. My wife's car has had non-stop electrical problems. My old classic cars hardly ever give me problems, it's the new ones that suck donkeys dicks.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• smaz
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2004

I'd say take it to a few different mechanics. If they all say the same thing, then what they say is right. However, if they all say different things, they're bullshitting you

Also, if you bought it like that, and are taking it back to the dealers, can you not get them to repair it for free? 'Coz if it costs too much, just say take it back, give me my money, and I'll buy another one elsewhere. That'll sort 'em out
                  Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..

Comment

• classicdude
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Apr 2004

Smaz is right. I just bought a 2000 F150 4X4 not even a month ago and the 'check engine' light came on AFTER I had it initially checked out by an independent mechanic and after I bought the vehicle. You better believe that dealer fixed it for free. Those lights can mean anything. You may even have a spark plug fouled, although you might notice the car running rough if that was the case. Good luck man!

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

even a loose gas cap can set off the check engine light...

i gotta tune my rig up, got emissions testing next month.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

The reason I think the light is what's in error is because his gas light and battery light are also coming on, and those are definitely not a problem. The engine light can fuck up quite easily, actually.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• rustoffa
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          even a loose gas cap can set off the check engine light...
                          Yep.

This dude I work with bought one of the new GTO's..400 HP. I should start a thread about how killer that thing is.

Anyway, his light came on and he was just losing it....turns out it was the gas cap.

Apparently, he has to make sure it clicks 4 times. These are little fucking clicks...I was like, "did you eat your fucking wheaties?"

Man, that car is the shit...six-speed tranny...VERY fast.

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

GTO is on my short list, but since i don't get a discount on GM products, i probably won't get one.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                              GTO is on my short list, but since i don't get a discount on GM products, i probably won't get one.
                              I can't afford that unfortunately, but interesting you guys brought that up since I just saw one this evening. Kind of rare here in winter.

Back to Bob's problem, probably just a minor emissions thing. I've heard those lights can come on automatically after a certain milage just to make you do what you are about to do, take it to the dealer and get charged to hook it up to the computer (that's Ford I believe). But I'd tune it up and as twonabomber said, change the oxygen sensor. If nothing else, your gas milage will increase.

Comment

Working...