X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Vice Admiral Church's Whitewash for Rummy

Rumsfeld cleared in prison abuse scandal; activists decry findingBy PAUL KORING

Friday, March 11, 2005 Page A12

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and the Pentagon's top brass were exonerated yesterday of accusations that they ordered, or turned a blind eye to, the brutal torture and humiliation of detainees at Iraq's notorious Abu Ghraib prison.

But although Vice-Admiral Albert Church reported no blood on the hands of the U.S. high command, his findings failed to persuade many of those who believe President George W. Bush has set a permissive and extralegal tone for the war on terrorism.

The unclassified 21-page summary of a 400-page secret report confirms that at least six detainees have died in more than 70 proven cases of abuse in Afghanistan and Iraq, and reveals that the U.S. military was holding an estimated 50,000 detainees in shadowy circumstances as of last September.

Otherwise, however, it sheds little new light on the prison horrors.

"This looks like another whitewash. Almost a year after the Abu Ghraib pictures, we still haven't had an independent investigation into the widespread prison abuse by someone not appointed by or subordinate to Secretary Rumsfeld," said Reed Brody, a special counsel for the New York-based group Human Rights Watch.

U.S. courts dealt another setback to the administration's handling of detainees on Monday, when a federal judge rejected a government effort to indefinitely imprison a U.S. citizen without charge by claiming that he is an enemy combatant.

The move would be a "betrayal of this nation's commitment to the separation of powers that safeguards our democratic values and individual liberties," U.S. District Judge Henry Floyd ruled. He gave the government 45 days to charge or release Jose Padilla, who is alleged to have plotted to detonate a so-called dirty bomb to spread radioactive debris.

Human Rights Watch said Mr. Bush's administration is undermining international respect for rights, and urged the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights to condemn "disappearances, torture and other mistreatment of detainees by the United States in its global war on terror."

"It's not just the reputation of the United States that suffers, but international respect for human rights in general is damaged," spokeswoman Joanna Weschler said in Geneva.

Vice-Adm. Church's report found that rules were slack and that the military failed to spot warning signals that things might be going wrong at Abu Ghraib.

But "even in the absence of a precise definition of 'humane treatment,' it is clear that none of the pictured abuses at Abu Ghraib bear any resemblance to approved policies at any level, in any theatre," he concluded.

Some of Mr. Bush's staunchest supporters appeared to be in denial about Abu Ghraib, a year after the horrific pictures of abuse and sexual humiliation emerged.

"I don't need an investigation to tell me that there was no comprehensive or systematic use of inhumane tactics by the American military, because those guys and gals just wouldn't do it," said Senator Jim Talent, a Republican from Missouri. "Everything about the culture and the training in the military and at home works against that. That's why the terrorists are attacking us -- because we're not the kind of society that would do that."

Mr. Talent seemed to come close to endorsing physical abuse of detainees.

"Speaking for myself, if our guys want to poke somebody in the chest to get the name of a bomb maker so that they can save the lives of Americans, I'm for it," he said.

Others were not so sanguine. Democrat Senator Carl Levin noted acidly that the scope of Vice-Adm. Church's investigation didn't include detention and interrogation practices by the Central Intelligence Agency.

He also said that exonerating top leaders sends the wrong message to Americans and the rest of the world.

"This failure of accountability of senior leaders sends the wrong signal to our troops and to the American people. It harms the United States's standing as a nation of laws, and it undermines the high standards of our armed forces," Mr. Levin said.

Vice-Adm. Church also confirmed the existence of so-called ghost detainees, a practice in which the CIA detains suspects without documenting them.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

:YAWN:
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Comment

• kentuckyklira
        Veteran
        • Sep 2004

Did you really expect anything else??

:confused: :confused:
        http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

It's really getting laughable. No wonder the circulations are down for the LA Times and NY Times.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

The less people buy their rags...the more sensational the headlines have to become!

It is laughable.
            http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
            http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              It's really getting laughable. No wonder the circulations are down for the LA Times and NY Times.

So, maybe you can specifically tell me what facts they got wrong?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

They still don't get why I originally posted the "YAWN."

It's because I'm not surprised Rummy is off the hook. This story is really nothing of interest.

What will really be newsworthy is when he resigns or is fired.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                  The less people that listen to douchebags...the more sensational the rantings have to become!

It is laughable.

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Rush doesn't need to be sensational.

It's only the liberal media outlets that are experiencing decreased ratings: CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, the NY Times, and the LA Times. FOX has good ratings, and Limbaugh is the number one talk show in America, something Al Franken will never achieve.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Rush doesn't need to be sensational.

It's only the liberal media outlets that are experiencing decreased ratings: CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, the NY Times, and the LA Times. FOX has good ratings, and Limbaugh is the number one talk show in America, something Al Franken will never achieve.
                      Actually Howard Stern has the number one program in America, or at least he did until he was yanked by Cunt Channel.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

I'd hardly call Howard's show a 'talk show'.

As far as Stern goes...I like the guy and listen to his show sometimes, but he bitches a little too much. He gets away with quite a bit. I think he just wants to say fuck, pussy and a few other select words without a fine every few minutes. Just don't expect a #1 show when you go to Sirius satellite.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

They still don't get why I originally posted the "YAWN."

Wrong again.

None of us CARED.

see the difference?
                          Originally posted by Kristy
                          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                          Originally posted by cadaverdog
                          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'd hardly call Howard's show a 'talk show'.

As far as Stern goes...I like the guy and listen to his show sometimes, but he bitches a little too much. He gets away with quite a bit. I think he just wants to say fuck, pussy and a few other select words without a fine every few minutes. Just don't expect a #1 show when you go to Sirius satellite.
                            Oh, so now we're making qualifications? Rush doesn't bitch?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                              Wrong again.

None of us CARED.

see the difference?
                              I guess that's why you're posting again and will probably post again and again and again. Moron.

Comment

Working...