PDA

View Full Version : anybody ever see Robert Plant live?

Marlowe01
03-12-2005, 10:41 AM
just wondering what the set list is like? Like whether he plays some LZ stuff or if it's ONLY his solo songs. He's touring again this summer and I'm wondering if it's worth going.

Matt White
03-12-2005, 10:44 AM
I saw Robert Plant back in 1988, the first solo tour where he played Zep material live. Saw both PAGE & PLANT tours!
These days, I bet you might get 3-4 Zep tunes. Don't expect any big hits though. It would still be a great show. Percy is the MAN!

Rikk
03-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I also saw both PAGE & PLANT tours. The second tour was especially great, although they played IN THE EVENING when I saw them on the first tour, which was incredible.

Matt White
03-12-2005, 11:08 AM
I agree Rikk. Liked the fact it was basically a four-piece band the second time. Liked "No Quarter", even though they SHOULD have had Jonesy aboard!

vanzilla
03-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Funny you should bring this up because I was just thinking about it the other day. I caught Plant live in 88, with Joan Jett as the opening act. He played a lot of stuff off of "Now and Zen", but those songs were very much the hits of the day. "Heaven Knows", "Tall Cool One", "Ship of Fools" - all big hits back in 88.

He did do a couple of Zep tunes, plus some older solo stuff - "Big Log", "In the Mood". - but overall he stuck with tunes from the Zen album.

From what I remember - it was a great show. Shit the guys a rock icon, even it's a mediocre concert - you still get to say you saw one of the true legends of rock on stage. Plus, I've only heard one of the songs from the new album - and it sounds like Plant may be returning to his Zep roots. I'd say check it out.

twonabomber
03-12-2005, 12:32 PM
i saw the Now and Zen show too, but Stevie Ray Vaughan opened.

vanzilla
03-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
i saw the Now and Zen show too, but Stevie Ray Vaughan opened.

That would've been kick ass! Bet it was a great show.

twonabomber
03-12-2005, 01:07 PM
other than the fact that we were freezin', it was.

it was the first show of the season at Blossom Music Center, and we had lawn seats. i think it was early May, the earliest they've ever opened up. we were sitting on one sleeping bag and wrapped up in the other one. Plant even said "welcome to this summer's festivities in Alaska" after a couple songs.

Bill Lumbergh
03-12-2005, 01:19 PM
I've seen RP three times(twice solo, and once with Page). He will usually play more than three Zep tunes, and they are almost ALWAYS tunes from Zep 2 and 3, with some 4 mixed in.

BrownSound1
03-12-2005, 08:40 PM
The last solo Plant show I saw was when he was touring off of that album that had the tune "29 Palms." He played a lot of Zeppelin, Going to California, Babe I'm Going to Leave You, Whole Lotta Love, What is and What Should Never Be, and Heartbreaker....perhaps one or two that I can't remember.

Mishar_McLeud
03-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Plant is comming to my hometown in April, I wonder if I should go

WACF
03-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Like many here I caught the '88 tour.

It was awsome...he did play some Zep but the only one I can remember right now is "Communication Breakdown"...

Go....

vanzilla
03-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
Plant is comming to my hometown in April, I wonder if I should go

It's never a bad thing to see a true rock legend play live.

With that said, I regret seeing VH in 2004.

But I believe Plant is in much better shape, mentally and physically than Ed - so what do you have to lose?

Rikk
03-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Okay. Has anyone seen ZEPPELIN? Now that's a story to tell.

twonabomber
03-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by WACF
Like many here I caught the '88 tour.

It was awsome...he did play some Zep but the only one I can remember right now is "Communication Breakdown"...

Go....

i seem to remember Misty Mountiain Hop too.

Mishar_McLeud
03-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by vanzilla
It's never a bad thing to see a true rock legend play live.

With that said, I regret seeing VH in 2004.

But I believe Plant is in much better shape, mentally and physically than Ed - so what do you have to lose?

The ticks' cost varies from 30 to 92 bucks, but hell it's Plant after all. You've convinced me :).

MAX
03-13-2005, 08:18 PM
I've seen Plant twice. Once in '88 on his "Now and Zen" Tour and in '90 on whatever tour that was. lol. I remember him playing "The Immigrant Song" and "The Ocean" but unfortunately I partied too hard at both shows and cannot remember much else. I remember they were great shows though. My brother still has pics from the '88 show.

Diver Down NJ
03-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Is Plant coming out with a new album or something? Or is he just touring for the hell of it?

ETA: Nevermind, I checked out his home page and see he has a new disc out in May. That's pretty sweet. Didn't think he'd have one out so soon after Dreamland.

According to his site he might be touring with Jeff Beck!

DlocRoth
03-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Wish he could still hit a high note and stay in tune.

But hell, he tortured his voice back in the day.

Diver Down NJ
03-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Yeah, his voice is shredded. But it's Robert Plant! :)

Carmine
03-16-2005, 03:02 PM
no

tydhurst
03-18-2005, 12:43 AM
His voice really IS fucked! Porr lad, he was such a Legend with a tireless voice, but... it got tired. Such a shame!

Hardrock69
03-18-2005, 01:16 PM
I saw Plant/Page in 1998 in Kansas City. I was not expecting Plant to sound that great, and I thought Pagey might be sloppy sounding on guitar.

Boy was I ever wrong!!!!!

They kicked my ass up one side of Kemper Arena and down the other...

hard rock
03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
I saw page and plant on 2nd tour, thats was real good. Better then what i expected. At the end of the show i was pissed i didnt have better seats. they were in great form.

some one here mentioned cathing plant in 90 but could not rememeber the tour. i think it was the magic nirvana tour cuz thats the name of the album that he had out at the time.

i didnt like that album as much as now and zen. for me the best stuff he has done post zep is the Honey Drippers album and Now and Zen.

Waling into Clarksdale with page was a great disapointment, only good tune on that was Most High

hard rock
03-18-2005, 01:38 PM
make that Manic nirvana not Magic Nirvana, sorry!!!!!

Antman
03-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Saw him in 88 at MSG with Cheap Trick. One of the best shows I ever saw. That was the first tour he ever did Zeppelin songs on. Cheap Trick ruled that night too.

degüello
03-20-2005, 01:40 AM
I saw Page & Plant in '98 as well, and had a great fucking time.

BrownSound1
03-20-2005, 02:56 AM
I saw both Page and Plant tours...I thought Robert did a fine job...surprised me on a few things. For instance he sang Black Dog note for note...not like The Song Remains The Same version. He also sang Rock and Roll and hit every fucking thing. Now I think the difference most people hear is in the timbre of his voice. It isn't that he can't hit those notes, it's just the tone has changed a bit. I think his range is about the same as latter day Zeppelin. However, don't expect him to do a dead on Since I've Been Loving You...he hasn't been able to do that in YEARS.

Some of the other songs that he impressed me on were Babe I'm Going to Leave You and How Many More Times...he hit that shit too. Going To California was dead on when I saw them in '98.

I still say an aged Robert Plant still kicks Sammy Hagar's ass. Because even though Robert doesn't have the power he once did, doesn't mean that he still isn't one of the baddest motherfuckers around.

Page....he played incredibly good both times I saw those tours. He had a great tone, and his playing really flowed. Best I've heard him play in years...since...well the early to mid Zeppelin days. I just wish those guys would do one more tour together...and goddamn it pull John Paul Jones in there too. They don't have to call it Led Zeppelin, but I think it would be a great tribute to not only the band, but the fans as well. Isn't it amazing that a band that has been gone for as long as they have can still put out media that makes people take notice? Van Halen could have been able to do the same thing, but people just don't take them seriously anymore.

Rikk
03-20-2005, 03:17 AM
I really loved WALKING INTO CLARKSDALE. PLANT was subdued, which was different, but very cool. And PAGE's guitar tone was rawer than it had been since PRESENCE. I think CLARKSDALE is almost like a sequel to PRESENCE. And I really love many of the tracks on it. (PRESENCE is my all-time favorite Zeppelin album.)

BrownSound1
03-21-2005, 06:55 PM
What was that one tune on Walking Into Clarksdale...Shining In the Light? Almost reminded me of Houses of the Holy/Physical Graffitti era Zeppelin.