PDA

View Full Version : Molly Hatchet Vocalist Dead at 53

bueno bob
03-12-2005, 01:22 PM
From BWBK...

MOLLY HATCHET Singer Dead At 53 [Rock Hard - 05.03.12 12:00:06]

The following report is courtesy of Sean Piccoli from Sun-sentinel.com:

Danny Joe Brown, a founding member of southern rockers MOLLY HATCHET, and singer and co-writer of the band's biggest hits from the late '70s, died on Thursday at his home in Davie of complications from pneumonia. He was 53. The lone voice in a six-piece band that featured three lead guitarists, Mr. Brown, a Jacksonville native, matched the clamor of Molly Hatchet's music with a big, muscular growl on songs such as 'Flirtin' With Disaster', 'Whiskey Man' and 'Gator Country'. Mr. Brown co-founded Molly Hatchet in Jacksonville in 1975. The band adopted a hard-rocking sound inspired in part by the boogie and blues of Southern rock band LYNYRD SKYNYRD. Molly Hatchet also gained a reputation for partying hard, and after 2 million-selling studio albums and constant touring, Mr. Brown quit the band in 1980, citing exhaustion. He put out a solo album and rejoined Molly Hatchet in the 1980s. Visitation is 7 to 9 p.m. Monday at Panciera Memorial Home, 4200 Hollywood Blvd., in Hollywood. Services are 11:30 p.m. Tuesday at Cooper City Church of God, 9191 Stirling Rd., Cooper City, with burial at Lauderdale Memorial Park in Fort Lauderdale.

Rikk
03-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Good band. Good singer.

Sad stuff. I remember reading how sick he was.

Matt White
03-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Always a shame to hear that somebody died so young!

bueno bob
03-12-2005, 01:29 PM
It sucks...Molly Hatchet, in so far as southern rock was concerned, was probably my favorite. Real shame.

Rikk
03-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
It sucks...Molly Hatchet, in so far as southern rock was concerned, was probably my favorite. Real shame.

LYNYRD SKYNYRD will always be my very favorite band. These guys always came off as a second-rate Skynyrd to me...but they did a good job and wrote some good songs.

Matt White
03-12-2005, 01:36 PM
LYNYRD SKYNYRD were/will always be the KINGS of southern rock for me.
Molly Hatchet were Kewl, decent songs.

bueno bob
03-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Molly Hatchet I was exposed to before Skynyrd, so...I'm slanted :)

Rikk
Exactly.

LYNYRD SKYNYRD was the best.

But some great songs. FALL OF THE PEACEMAKERS, for one, was amazing.

Rikk
Molly Hatchet I was exposed to before Skynyrd, so...I'm slanted :)

Understood. Sort of like how POOP BOY heard OU812 before he heard FAIR WARNING.;)

Matt White
03-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Understood. Sort of like how POOP BOY heard OU812 before he heard FAIR WARNING.;)

SNAP!!!!

bueno bob
03-12-2005, 01:53 PM
BWAHAHAHAA :D

Bill Lumbergh
03-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Rikk

I heard the Carpenters before I heard VH(Thanks for that Mom) , BUT I'm not frolicking around singing "We've Only Just Begun" while selling myself on the street for nickels! :D .

bueno bob
03-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I heard the Carpenters before I heard VH(Thanks for that Mom) , BUT I'm not frolicking around singing "We've Only Just Begun" while selling myself on the street for nickels! :D .

I am.

Bill Lumbergh
03-12-2005, 02:19 PM
I am.

I will ONLY, repeat ONLY , do it for 25 cents or more.........that's how us high class playas roll.

Rikk
03-12-2005, 02:34 PM
$1.00 here. Obviously, I'm not as much in the doldrums as you subordinates.

Roguesgirl
03-12-2005, 03:19 PM
He had a very cool voice. This is sad news. :(

bueno bob
03-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I was always hoping the "classic" lineup of Hatchet could get back together and do it one last time...sad that this has happened...tell me, if anybody knows - the last few Molly Hatchet albums (Devils Canyon, et al) haven't been with ANY of the original MH members, correct? I haven't paid attention to them for a few years now, so...

Satan
03-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Danny Joe was diabetic and the typical alcohol-fueled lifestyle of a Southern Rock band isn't exactly the best mix with that disease, which is why he quit Hatchet in the first place.

I will say this much though, there's been one HELL of a party over in "Little Dixie" since he got here. The Skynyrd Boys, Duane Allman & Barry Oakley, Stevie Ray, shit even Hank and Elvis stopped by. Nixon recorded the whole thing. Wish I could get a copy to you guys, but God said He would sue me if I ever did that again :(

bueno bob
03-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Satan
Danny Joe was diabetic and the typical alcohol-fueled lifestyle of a Southern Rock band isn't exactly the best mix with that disease, which is why he quit Hatchet in the first place.

I will say this much though, there's been one HELL of a party over in "Little Dixie" since he got here. The Skynyrd Boys, Duane Allman & Barry Oakley, Stevie Ray, shit even Hank and Elvis stopped by. Nixon recorded the whole thing. Wish I could get a copy to you guys, but God said He would sue me if I ever did that again :(

What, you can't afford a good lawyer to get you out of it?

Figured you'd have heads and tails on God in the money department.

Just leak it out to Kazaa or WinMX! Nobody will ever trace it to you.

Satan
03-12-2005, 05:11 PM
tell me, if anybody knows - the last few Molly Hatchet albums (Devils Canyon, et al) haven't been with ANY of the original MH members, correct? I haven't paid attention to them for a few years now, so...

It's true...the closest link this band has to the reat Hatchet is that one of the guitarist played on Danny Joe's solo albums.

In other words, they're a bigger fraud than the fake Skynyrd!!

Coyote
03-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Sad thing to hear...:( Molly's got some great songs, "Gator Country" and "Bloody Reunion" for example...

rustoffa
03-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I think their cover of "Dreams I'll Never See" bests the Allmans' original.

Their first two records are pretty fucking good.

I never saw the original lineup of Molly Hatchet, but I had the chance to see Savoy Brown and The Danny Joe Brown Band open up for Blackfoot a long time ago.

The Fox Theater here...unbelievable...I had no idea who Savoy Brown was, and they kicked ass...

Medlocke brought Danny Joe out during Train, Train...

Anyway, DJB had a perfect southern rawk voice and we all lost another good one.

RIP

Hardrock69
03-12-2005, 11:21 PM
How sad....I saw them three different tours in the early 80s.

BrownSound1
03-13-2005, 01:05 AM
I was never a big fan...especially of the nasal vocals. However, they had some tight guitar work. Still, it is always bad to hear that someone only 53 has passed.

Rikk
03-13-2005, 01:11 AM
Considering all the elaborate signatures people have (including mine), BROWNSOUND, I must say I appreciate the simplicity of yours.;)

BrownSound1
03-13-2005, 02:10 AM
LOL...well, I guess I still go by the old "less is more" creed. :D