PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices in your area!

Little_Skittles
03-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Gas is in my area up to 2.07 a gallon and it's the cheap stuff what did we do to piss them iraqi's off so bad? A couple weeks ago it was a 1.87. What can we look forward to this summer? What are you paying?

twonabomber
03-13-2005, 04:32 PM
close to $2.10 in some areas, it was $1.95 a county over yesterday.

local grocery chain gives you 10 cents off a gallon with a $50 grocery purchase, and Sam's Club is around $1.93, but that's members only. between the two of those i should be ok. Sam's is across the street from work and the other is on the way home.

Big Troubles
03-13-2005, 04:43 PM
.90 cents/litre here. March break hike. come weekend, it'll drop again.

(that's $3.51/ gallon for you Americans)

blueturk
03-13-2005, 05:34 PM
[Post #38]
Originally posted by Little_Skittles
What kinda generation are you talking about ? Because my generation probably will remember it as the day we all got a free day off from school. Personally i don't care about it or the people that died

You don't care about 3,000 people dying, but you're worried about gas prices.I guess your dad won't like me saying this, but you are one stupid spoiled bitch.

ashstralia
03-13-2005, 08:30 PM
dollar ten a
litre here. i sold my v8 ute a coupla weeks ago,
riding around on my pushy.

might buy a camry or somethin similar later.

rustoffa
03-13-2005, 08:56 PM
It cost me 9 dollars and something to fill up two extended fat bob tanks earlier today.

And the extensions are fake!

This OPEC farce is filthy lucre at it's finest.

Big Train
03-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Not enough...

Dan
03-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by ashstralia
dollar ten a
litre here. i sold my v8 ute a coupla weeks ago,
riding around on my pushy.

might buy a camry or somethin similar later.

ASH,buy a Skyline.

twonabomber
03-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa

This OPEC farce is filthy lucre at it's finest.

there was some oil industry analyst on the news the other night...he says "plain and simple, they've got it, we want it, and they know we'll pay for it."

WACF
03-14-2005, 01:27 AM
91 cents/litre...we are getting fucked....plain and simple.

Cathedral
03-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
there was some oil industry analyst on the news the other night...he says "plain and simple, they've got it, we want it, and they know we'll pay for it."

And that says it all.
I spent the weekend test driving a Dodge Ram Rumble Bee with the 5.7 litre HEMI, and i could watch that gas needle move towards empty with every mile.

I have decided to order an '06 SLT with a 2.9 litre V6.

Jano
03-14-2005, 01:43 AM
5 dollars a gallon !
32.6 billions of dollars in the french governement's pocket just on the gas 's taxes!!!

twonabomber
03-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
watch that gas needle move towards empty with every mile.

reminds me of my 84 Caprice. stand on it, the secondaries opened, and you could almost hear the gas go right through 'em. sluuuuuuuurp. :D

Cathedral
03-14-2005, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
reminds me of my 84 Caprice. stand on it, the secondaries opened, and you could almost hear the gas go right through 'em. sluuuuuuuurp. :D

I heard that, man.
I tromped the pedal at an intersection and went sideways in that truck, very very nice ride with all the power and torque a man could want.
but i already have a '99 with a 440 in it and a project Charger also with a 440.
Those are toys though, and i need a daily driver at this point.

We are paying $2.29 a gallon here for Premium, which compared to some cities isn't that bad in my opinion.

It could be much worse judging from some of the posts in this thread, though, so i am feeling rather fortunate.

vanzilla
03-14-2005, 02:04 AM
[Post #38] “ Originally posted by Little_Skittles
What kinda generation are you talking about ? Because my generation probably will remember it as the day we all got a free day off from school. Personally i don't care about it or the people that died

And this comes from the same person that told me I need to find Jesus after posting an excerpt from a George Carlin book. What about Commandment #5 Skittles? I think someone needs to grow up.

Anyway - Gas here in the 'ville is around $1.99.

And I just bought a new minivan a few months ago.

Why couldn't all the dinosaurs die in the states dammit?

bueno bob
03-14-2005, 02:12 AM
'bout $2.10ish.

Satan
03-14-2005, 02:58 AM
$6.66/gallon down here, but it's not just because we like the number.

Let's just say you have to build extra thick tanks to store gasoline in Hell, and someone's gotta pay for 'em :cool:

Nickdfresh
03-14-2005, 08:38 AM
It's $2.15 a gallon here. Glad I drive a Nissan (Muhuhawhawhaw--sorry Dave!) Sentra SER Spec V, but I miss my Civic, almost used to get 40mpg with that little thing, but it needed a tow-truck to get up a hill though.

VHdamaco
03-14-2005, 08:44 AM
anywhere from $1.80 to $2.10 for the cheap stuff in northern va

lazlor
03-14-2005, 10:19 PM
somewhere around 2.29/gallon here in Los Angeles.... at least across the street.

2.35 is not unusual for regular unleaded.

*sigh*

Dr. Love
03-15-2005, 01:24 AM
It's near $1.90

which makes me cry.

Angel
03-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Ours works out to about $2.18/gallon, but being in the oil province, we have the cheapest prices in the country. :D

Cathedral
03-17-2005, 03:19 PM
I just filled the tank at $1.86 per gallon. Not bad considering where it was yesterday; glad i waited till today to fill it.

WACF
03-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Ours works out to about $2.18/gallon, but being in the oil province, we have the cheapest prices in the country. :D

We became a "have" province(Saskatchewan) this year because of oil and gas revenue but we are still getting stroked at 91.9 cents/litre....

Carmine
03-17-2005, 04:50 PM
$2.19 a gallon for regular

$2.39 a gallon for regular

Seshmeister
03-17-2005, 06:58 PM
It's funny listening to Americans whining about high gas prices.

We're over $6 a gallon and a net exporter of oil.

Cheers!

:gulp:

GAR
03-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Thats because you lazy Scots ain't invaded England yet and killed the queen and her nest.

Remove the added taxes and what you then have is probably around $2 a gallon.

GALLON, not Litre mind you. I'm paying $2.39 here in Pasadena and it was $2.32 in Las Vegas, NV just 2 days ago.

Angel
03-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Still pisses me off that you buy it from us, yet we're paying more up here, in most areas.

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm paying about $2.77 a gallon. Not bad. :)

ZahZoo
09-22-2009, 10:03 AM
$2.29 for Ethanol enhanced regular.

$2.46 for real gas regular

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 10:16 AM
It's below $2.40 here, but it was right at $3 just a couple months ago...

Little Texan
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
$2.29/Gal in Henderson, TX

binnie
09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
It's funny listening to Americans whining about high gas prices.

Cheers!

Much more than that four years down the line - I make it closer to $8 a gallon at today's rates......

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 10:37 AM

Cheers!

So what is it today ??

What does the $4 and change pay for, lousy health care ??

binnie
09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
So what is it today ??

What does the $4 and change pay for, lousy health care ??

See my post above.

Most of price is taxation, which covers (military) defense, schools, universities, road and rail networks, hospitals, pensions and so forth. The tax on petrol (gas), cigarettes, and alcohol all goes into the big pot to cover these.

As for the UK healthcare being 'lousy', what a load of BS. As someone who's mother has been chronically (and incurably) disabled since just after I was born, I can tell you from experience that our system, whilst far not perfect, provides excellent service. Also, the average life expectancy of someone in the UK is higher than the US. That doesn't necessarily mean that our healthcare is better, however - maybe the average US life expectancy is lowered by the plethora of guns owned by the general populace :D

GAR
09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Here in San Antonio, $2.30 regular

Back in LA I last paid $3.31 for premium.

Seshmeister
09-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Our health care system is a fucking miracle compared to the US.

Plus our nurses get taught science... :)

Seshmeister
09-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Much more than that four years down the line - I make it closer to $8 a gallon at today's rates......

I think that will be because of exchange rates.

The US is too big to be allowed to fail so even though her greedy bankers caused most of the recent problems ironically it made the dollar stronger...

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
As someone who's mother has been chronically (and incurably) disabled since just after I was born, I can tell you from experience that our system, whilst far not perfect, provides excellent service.

:D

Excellent!

I hope your mother is alive and well...

But the gas tax is scary...

twonabomber
09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
around $2.40 regular, $2.60 premium. won't be buying premium much longer, the race car will be put away soon.

Seshmeister
09-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Do you think there is anything in that premium thing?

I've seen tests where it didn't make a bit of difference.

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 12:00 PM
It makes a difference where the compression ratio is high...

A high compression engine can't run on low octane fuel, it will detonate...

binnie
09-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Excellent!

I hope your mother is alive and well...

But the gas tax is scary...

Thanks Elvis.

Yes, the gas tax IS scary. I'm just glad I'm not a smoker - a pack of 20 over here is around $10.

twonabomber
09-22-2009, 12:18 PM
my SRT runs like shit on regular.

Seshmeister
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks Elvis.

Yes, the gas tax IS scary.

It's meant to be scary.

If it wasn't for European and Jap tax rates then there wouldn't so much motivation for the car companies to come up with more efficient cars.

FORD
09-22-2009, 12:26 PM

The extra octane can make a difference under certain driving conditions, in any engine. Last time I took a road trip to Canada, I was running 94 octane up there (which you can't even get on this side of the border) The difference on the highway, especially on the mountain passes, was remarkable.

I would never waste it on regular city driving though, even if I could get it here.

binnie
09-22-2009, 12:32 PM
It's meant to be scary.

If it wasn't for European and Jap tax rates then there wouldn't so much motivation for the car companies to come up with more efficient cars.

Am I to infer from this post that you really think that the government taxes fuel to help the plannet? The real reason that there is so much tax on fuel, cigs, booze, hell even VAT in general, is because all administrations are too afraid to tax big business more fairly; or, rather, to close the loop holes which allow them to avoid paying tax.

Seshmeister
09-22-2009, 12:33 PM
You are so cynical for one so young... :)

Seshmeister
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
The extra octane can make a difference under certain driving conditions, in any engine. Last time I took a road trip to Canada, I was running 94 octane up there (which you can't even get on this side of the border) The difference on the highway, especially on the mountain passes, was remarkable.

I would never waste it on regular city driving though, even if I could get it here.

Ahh now this all makes sense.

In the UK Regular is 95 and premium is 99!

The reason we don't notice any improvement is that most engines can't take any advantage of more than 95.

I bet some fuck at the gas companies dreamed it up as a way to squeeze a bigger margin out of us after seeing the US model.

binnie
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Nah, just spent too much time reading Private Eye :D

Kristy
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
The average where I live runs about $2.49/g for the low-grade and $2.74 for the premium. It's slightly more expensive when you venture into the mountains.

twonabomber
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Ahh now this all makes sense.

In the UK Regular is 95 and premium is 99!

regular is 89 here.

Seshmeister
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I never even noticed in all the hours I've driven in the States and always just got regular like I would at home.

Maybe your cars aren't quite as shitty as I thought... :)

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Cars here are great!

You can buy 100-105 octane at performance shops, but it's expensive! Almost as much as UK gas...

Ohio has 94 octane premium and a few hi-po stations had 98-99 octane gas, but that was several years ago. I doubt they have it today...

GAR
09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, I blew up the engine in my E320, don't know if running regular was a coincidince or not. The Lexus says use premium, so I do.

This fucking SATURN rental piece a shit go go fucking choke on shit regular. Turning radius is worse than a truck! SCREW Saturns!

Kristy
09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
You can buy 100-105 octane at performance shops, but it's expensive!

I knew a guy that used to buy it - runs about $11 for about what, a 6 or 7 ounce bottle?

twonabomber
09-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Ohio has 94 octane premium and a few hi-po stations had 98-99 octane gas, but that was several years ago. I doubt they have it today...

i know of two that have it.

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Only if a car calls for it. In the US, that's mostly turbocharged or high performance motors. But I had a Sentra SER SpecV that called for it and it didn't make much of a difference whether I used 87-octane or 93-octane save for maybe a long trip where the 93 did a little better on mileage...

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 01:59 PM
regular is 89 here.

Regular here is 87, mid is 89 or 91, and 93-octane is the highest regular fuel. Sunoco once sold 94-octane here, but they stopped with the advent of the millenium.

There's a nearby chain that sells 100-octane racing fuel from their pumps for like $8 a gallon. I wouldn't mind trying it. But I think at that point, fuel dilution can become a problem as the higher octane prevents detonation and can put gas in the motor oil.

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
I have to use 101 aviation fuel (race fuel is too far away) in one of my bikes because of the advent of 10% methanol mix really fucked things like that up. I could mix it, but the compression is high enough to take advantage of it running straight. And boy does it like it, No overheating in traffic, and kick starts better than on non-mixed 94 octane.....

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Cars here are great!

You can buy 100-105 octane at performance shops, but it's expensive!

You can't run race gas in any car with a Catalytic converter because between the octane and the low-lead content, it'll melt the cat right off it.

Plus, it's suppose to be pumped into containers, never directly into a car from the pump.

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I knew a guy that used to buy it - runs about $11 for about what, a 6 or 7 ounce bottle?

Anywhere from 8-10 dollars a gallon. You can buy octane booster, but it's not the same. The mixes that derive octane (lead being the easiest way to achieve octane ratings) are deathly poisonous to the touch..

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 02:35 PM
I have to use 101 aviation fuel (race fuel is too far away) in one of my bikes because of the advent of 10% methanol mix really fucked things like that up. I could mix it, but the compression is high enough to take advantage of it running straight. And boy does it like it, No overheating in traffic, and kick starts better than on non-mixed 94 octane.....

Lately I've been throwing Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in my gas tank every other fill up or so. Some people swear it increases fuel economy, makes things run a bit cooler, and keeps everything fuel related pristine.

I haven't notice a difference until maybe this tank which seems to be taking forever to empty...then again that might be the tune-up with platinum+4 Bosch plugs...

Seshmeister
09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I looked into something similar a while back and the independent thinking seemed to be that stuff like that and other additives are not required for modern car engines and make no difference.

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 02:59 PM
They don't, but some can assist in keeping an engine cleaner...

Synthetic oil can improve mileage slightly by reducing friction and allowing the reciprocating parts to move more freely...

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Lately I've been throwing Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in my gas tank every other fill up or so. Some people swear it increases fuel economy, makes things run a bit cooler, and keeps everything fuel related pristine.

I haven't notice a difference until maybe this tank which seems to be taking forever to empty...then again that might be the tune-up with platinum+4 Bosch plugs...

Mystery oil has "top end additives" but no lead. We used to run it in gas on older Harley's that hadn't been rebuilt to make them last longer on unleaded gas. But truth be known the guides and pistons were shit to begin with so it didn't really help.

The thing about adding it in a car with a cat is that in 07 they revised all the oil to remove whats referred to as ZDDP. That's basically an oil additive that protects harsh metal to metal contact (read: flat tappet cammed motors). They had found out that ZDDP compromises Catalytic Converters and O2 sensors if/when the car starts to use a little oil. Mystery has this, plus other additives that could do harm. I would say what little you've used hasn't harmed anything, but I wouldn't continue adding it.

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Synthetic oil can improve mileage slightly by reducing friction and allowing the reciprocating parts to move more freely...

I've had people swear this to me but you couldn't prove it by me. They seem to be in the minority......

Kristy
09-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Anywhere from 8-10 dollars a gallon. You can buy octane booster, but it's not the same. The mixes that derive octane (lead being the easiest way to achieve octane ratings) are deathly poisonous to the touch..

Okay, I was thinking octane booster but don't think it contains a scrap of lead. I mean, next to mercury, lead has been banned in just about everything by the EPA since the late seventies. Most likely octane booster is just another car gimmick to grab your money.

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Mystery oil has "top end additives" but no lead. We used to run it in gas on older Harley's that hadn't been rebuilt to make them last longer on unleaded gas. But truth be known the guides and pistons were shit to begin with so it didn't really help.

The thing about adding it in a car with a cat is that in 07 they revised all the oil to remove whats referred to as ZDDP. That's basically an oil additive that protects harsh metal to metal contact (read: flat tappet cammed motors). They had found out that ZDDP compromises Catalytic Converters and O2 sensors if/when the car starts to use a little oil. Mystery has this, plus other additives that could do harm. I would say what little you've used hasn't harmed anything, but I wouldn't continue adding it.

As far as I know, MMO has no ZDDP, or Zinc. It supposedly works on the premise of an organic ester and smells like peppermint! I shit you not! :D(Some synthetic oils use esters along with polyalphaolefins to aid in cleaning and for the seals) Esters are great for dissolving sludge and carbon and the stuff has been around forever. It works well in small amounts in motor oil (which I rarely put it in) as a cleaner and it's supposed to be used sparingly (four ounces for every ten gallons) in gas.

You're talking about SM-rated, GF-4 oils, but they didn't take all the zinc out. They have cut back on it in conventional oils weighted between 5W-20 and 10W-30 and most oils probably have about half or two-thirds the amount of ZDDP they did during the SL-rated oil era. Most "high mileage" oils and some performance oils still have higher amounts of zinc, but I think regular oils most use higher amounts of moly and calcium...

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 04:52 PM
I've had people swear this to me but you couldn't prove it by me. They seem to be in the minority......

It's hard to say. I think you really only notice synthetic oil on really cold morning start-ups. That may use less fuel, but it is debated quite a bit whether the same weight of synthetic oil saves any gas over conventional, especially now that conventional oils are so good and really aren't all that far from synthetics for 90% of all applications as base oils are far better than they used to be. In fact, most 'synthetic' oils now pretty much start with the same crude oil as conventional oils do, but are refined further. Some are "hydrocracked" and refined into "Group III" oils like Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State "Horsepower" synthetics. Some use some sort of "slack wax" process to reformulate base oils like Shell Helix. I think Amsoil, Mobil1, and a few other boutiques are still the only ones who use (mostly) the traditional Group IV and V polyalphaolefins and polyesters for what some call "true" synthetic. But some believe that they're also blending in cheaper (but still very effective) Group III oils...

One thing synthetic oils can do better is they can be used to formulate thinner grades such as 0W-20, 0W-30, or 0W-40 that are far more robust than conventional oils and can flow at much lower temperatures. But that might not necessarily mean better fuel economy in every case. I have a lot of this stuff called "German Castrol" SYNTEC 0W-30 because I was told it was some of the best stuff available in North America for the winters. Even though it seems like it would be "thin," it actually thickens up at temperature almost like a 10W-40 would and it probably is more like a 0W-35 weight. That being said, I do a lot of highway driving to and from work, and I do think I tend to get slightly better mileage with synthetic oil regardless of make. But it's nothing dramatic though...

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 05:13 PM
As far as I know, MMO has no ZDDP, or Zinc. It supposedly works on the premise of an organic ester and smells like peppermint! I shit you not! :D(Some synthetic oils use esters along with polyalphaolefins to aid in cleaning and for the seals) Esters are great for dissolving sludge and carbon and the stuff has been around forever. It works well in small amounts in motor oil (which I rarely put it in) as a cleaner and it's supposed to be used sparingly (four ounces for every ten gallons) in gas.

You're talking about SM-rated, GF-4 oils, but they didn't take all the zinc out. They have cut back on it in conventional oils weighted between 5W-20 and 10W-30 and most oils probably have about half or two-thirds the amount of ZDDP they did during the SL-rated oil era. Most "high mileage" oils and some performance oils still have higher amounts of zinc, but I think regular oils most use higher amounts of moly and calcium...

I must have 20+ year old cans (big shock there) on MMO because they list ZDDP as an additive, so they must have removed it from later blends. I haven't used MMO in years for anything.

ZDDP is listed in "Parts per million" by the was they list it. Most oil companys removed (or didn't add) it completely because with roller camed engines there was really no need for it anymore. That, and to conform to API rated/endorsement. You can have any ZDDP amount you please, (Brad Penn oil has the highest) but you will not get the API approval. Conventional ZDDP levels before were about 1500 PPM and up, most levels left are basially unmeasurable. Delvac, and Rotella (diesel) oils had it for a bit longer, but with diesel trucks getting cats after 06 that went by the wayside also.

This only really matters for flat tappet cammed engines. The high performance stuff I deal with were losing cams at a rapid rate. Forget trying to break a new one in, you couldn't do it even with the cam break-in lubes.

Again, this all revolved around compromising O2s mostly, and on a lesser level Converters. I've had bad O2s that were contaminated (by whatever, but mostly antifreeze) and they were a bitch to diagnose until you learned the signs/patterns.

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I must have 20+ year old cans (big shock there) on MMO because they list ZDDP as an additive, so they must have removed it from later blends. I haven't used MMO in years for anything.

ZDDP is listed in "Parts per million" by the was they list it. Most oil companys removed (or didn't add) it completely because with roller camed engines there was really no need for it anymore. That, and to conform to API rated/endorsement. You can have any ZDDP amount you please, (Brad Penn oil has the highest) but you will not get the API approval. Conventional ZDDP levels before were about 1500 PPM and up, most levels left are basially unmeasurable. Delvac, and Rotella (diesel) oils had it for a bit longer, but with diesel trucks getting cats after 06 that went by the wayside also.

This only really matters for flat tappet cammed engines. The high performance stuff I deal with were losing cams at a rapid rate. Forget trying to break a new one in, you couldn't do it even with the cam break-in lubes.

Again, this all revolved around compromising O2s mostly, and on a lesser level Converters. I've had bad O2s that were contaminated (by whatever, but mostly antifreeze) and they were a bitch to diagnose until you learned the signs/patterns.

Most oils still contain ZDDP, just much lower amounts of it and still meet API approval. You CAN still use zinc as an anti-friction additive, but it has to be below a certain level. I think most oils are well below 1000 PPM now, probably in the middle hundreds, which is about half to one-third of what they were even five years ago. But I believe there's a balance, like you're allowed a certain amount of ZDDP if the phosphorous is kept at a certain level and whatnot...

Almost all oils now use molybdenum as their main replacement for higher levels of zinc, but some still get older SL rated oils, or just use thicker HDEO (diesel) oils which still have higher levels of zinc in them for their classic/older cars...

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I get what your saying (and agree) but the point I was making was we had cams going away at a fast rate. It was a BIG problem for about three years until people could unravel what happened. Flat tappet cammed engines HAD to have a large PPM of ZDDP or you were fucked. Now there's ZDDP additives you can buy so it's all a moot point.

Even GM did away with EOS (engine oil supplement) because of roller cams and have just recently brought it back..

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 07:14 PM
I get what your saying (and agree) but the point I was making was we had cams going away at a fast rate. It was a BIG problem for about three years until people could unravel what happened. Flat tappet cammed engines HAD to have a large PPM of ZDDP or you were fucked. Now there's ZDDP additives you can buy so it's all a moot point.

Even GM did away with EOS (engine oil supplement) because of roller cams and have just recently brought it back..

I've heard this. I know guys with older (flat tappet) engines use Shell Rotella 10W-30 or any 15W-40. A lot of the high mileage oils like MaxLife and the Mobil1 10W-30/40 also have a lot of zinc. Some have said a good high moly oil is just as effective, but I dunno. I have no experience with classic cars...

Even regular old STP has a lot of zinc in it...

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I've heard this. I know guys with older (flat tappet) engines use Shell Rotella 10W-30 or any 15W-40. A lot of the high mileage oils like MaxLife and the Mobil1 10W-30/40 also have a lot of zinc. Some have said a good high moly oil is just as effective, but I dunno. I have no experience with classic cars...

Even regular old STP has a lot of zinc in it...

Most of the high-mileage oils have been discontinued as well (Mobil one had a 10-40 high mileage synthetic that was good, but they canned it)

All the STP type oil-extenders had high PPM ZDDP, that's how they worked...

I like using Amsoil, they are the best (and the first) in synthetics but it's pricey...

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Most of the high-mileage oils have been discontinued as well (Mobil one had a 10-40 high mileage synthetic that was good, but they canned it)

Um, no. They've expanded the line to three oils with a 5W-30 HM actually. Their 10W-30 is the best actually IMO. Very low pour point meaning probably a lot of PAO.

All the STP type oil-extenders had high PPM ZDDP, that's how they worked...

I like using Amsoil, they are the best (and the first) in synthetics but it's pricey...

Amsoil's top shit. But yeah, it's expensive. And the "first in synthetics" thing is a complete lie. :D Synthetics were around in the 1920s and Germans put it in their panzers during WWII. The first commercially available one was actually made by a French oil company (Motul or Total I think)...

Igosplut
09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Um, no. They've expanded the line to three oils with a 5W-30 HM actually. Their 10W-30 is the best actually IMO. Very low pour point meaning probably a lot of PAO.

Ok, let me say that I can't get it through my normal distributors. They were the one's to say it was discontinued. It's not worth me searching elsewhere for it profit-margin wise if you know what I mean. Fuck, there's a shitload of different weight applications now, it's a pain to stock that many for oil changes that aren't profitable anyway....

Amsoil's top shit. But yeah, it's expensive. And the "first in synthetics" thing is a complete lie. :D Synthetics were around in the 1920s and Germans put it in their panzers during WWII. The first commercially available one was actually made by a French oil company (Motul or Total I think)...

Interesting, (and you would know WW2 stuff) but you know the old twist...Maybe the first to market in the states, ect..

Nickdfresh
09-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Ok, let me say that I can't get it through my normal distributors. They were the one's to say it was discontinued. It's not worth me searching elsewhere for it profit-margin wise if you know what I mean. Fuck, there's a shitload of different weight applications now, it's a pain to stock that many for oil changes that aren't profitable anyway....

There's a ton of different Mobil1s, and that's just them and I can see it being a giant pain in the ass as M1 alone now has three different versions of the same weights of oils. However, your distributors might be cunts. :) ...

In any case, if you use the stuff in your bike or something, you can get it at Autozone or Wal-Mart pretty easily...

Interesting, (and you would know WW2 stuff) but you know the old twist...Maybe the first to market in the states, ect..

I think Wiki stated that it was Chevron that was the first in the 1960s with a completely synthetic line, but they dropped it. Amsoil was early 70s, but somebody made it for them. Mobil1 was out in New England testing not long after Amsoil, so most consider Mobil1 the basically the first because they succeeded in sales, made their own, and have the market locked up...

twonabomber
09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Regular here is 87, mid is 89 or 91, and 93-octane is the highest regular fuel. Sunoco once sold 94-octane here, but they stopped with the advent of the millenium.

you're right, same here. i got to work and started thinking 87 was the lowest. not every station i hit has all three grades, Sam's Club doesn't carry midgrade.

It's hard to say. I think you really only notice synthetic oil on really cold morning start-ups.

my SRT-6 runs Mobil 1 synthetic but i wouldn't know much about cold weather starts. it sits in the garage all winter.

Dr. Love
09-23-2009, 12:50 AM
2.67 for 89 octane... was thinking the other day that we had made it through the summer without hitting $3/gallon this year. Looking back at this thread and the prices a long time ago ... those days are long gone

ZahZoo
09-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, I blew up the engine in my E320, don't know if running regular was a coincidince or not. The Lexus says use premium, so I do.

This fucking SATURN rental piece a shit go go fucking choke on shit regular. Turning radius is worse than a truck! SCREW Saturns!

Oh... so now you're claiming to be driving Mercedes and Lexus's???

I'm sure the engine in the E320 blew from you running it on used motor oil as fuel that you were claiming a few months ago...

Are you really that much of a fucking dumbass that you can't even stay in line with your own fantasy lies..?

Nickdfresh
09-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh... so now you're claiming to be driving Mercedes and Lexus's???

I'm sure the engine in the E320 blew from you running it on used motor oil as fuel that you were claiming a few months ago...

Are you really that much of a fucking dumbass that you can't even stay in line with your own fantasy lies..?

Ha ha! Owned! I noticed that too, but thought it'd be better for someone else to mention it.

I think it was a while ago, but I remember GAR stating how he used to get dirty oil from some store like Autozone to put into his bling bling 1980-something "Mazda 626" shitbox...

He can't afford like $15 for a few quarts of a name brand oil and a filter, but now is drivin a Lexus. :biggrin:

ELVIS
09-23-2009, 11:05 AM
"Drivin a Lexus," Mr. cut and paste ??

Nickdfresh
09-23-2009, 11:09 AM
"Drivin a Lexus," Mr. cut and paste ??

You spend a shitload of time worrying about others' posts, don't you? Why don't you worry about your own shitty, one line grunts of digital ignorance and "cuts and pastes?"

Go suck some Jesus-Juice® out of Micheal Jackson's dead dick!

ELVIS
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
And you go find someone else to put your Wiki®-smarts up against, besides Igo...