Why isn't Van Halen in the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comixxx
    Full On Cocktard
    • Dec 2004

Why isn't Van Halen in the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame?

Could someone explain to me how U2 and the Pretenders (amongst countless others) are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Van Halen is not? Maybe the problem is that Van Hagar isn't "Hall worthy" while Van Halen is.
  • house0paincakes
    Roadie
    • Apr 2004

Because Ed & Al don't want to stand next to Dave when they accept the award. That's my guess. Not to mention possibly playing a song or two with him. There's no legend factor with Sammy, it's all about the CVH, and that burns Alex's ass.

Comment

• academic punk
      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

They know that everyone will stand up and applaud like crazy when Dave makes his speech, and sit down and boo when Sam attempts to give his.

Comment

• house0paincakes
        Roadie
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
        They know that everyone will stand up and applaud like crazy when Dave makes his speech, and sit down and boo when Sam attempts to give his.
        I don't see where Sam would have any right to make a speech. Even he has stated he never felt he was really a part of the band at times... These motherfuckers are so contradictive.

Comment

• vanzilla
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

I started a post on this a few weeks ago and it didn't go anywhere. I think they meet the requirements for induction, i.e. 25 years after the debut album released. Not sure if they're up next year or the year after. There was a lot of talk a few years back that the band would reunite with both Sam and Dave for the induction concert. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie pulls a John Fogerty and doesn't invite Dave.

In my opinion, Ed is so out of whack right now - he couldn't pull of a HOF show.
          Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• academic punk
            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by vanzilla

In my opinion, Ed is so out of whack right now - he couldn't pull of a HOF show.
            What do you mean? His behavior was completely appropriate at Dimebag's funeral...

Comment

• UNCLAX72
              Roadie
              • Feb 2005

only sarge knows

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Re: Why isn't Van Halen in the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame?

Originally posted by comixxx
                Could someone explain to me how U2 and the Pretenders (amongst countless others) are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Van Halen is not? Maybe the problem is that Van Hagar isn't "Hall worthy" while Van Halen is.
                Think on this:

Who fucking cares?

Thank you.
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Van Halen was eligible in 2003. The reason they are not in now is simple: their legacy has been trashed basically since 1996, and the voters probably remember the fiascos more than they do the effect Van Halen had on rock 'n roll from 1978-1984.

It also could have something to do with the fact that Van Halen was never considered as a 'serious' band by the rock intellectia, but I really doubt that has any major impact on them not being in yet.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by vanzilla
                    Not sure if they're up next year or the year after.
                    VH was eligible last year.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• MAX
                      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Jeeze,

After seeing pics, vids and snippets of last years Van Hagar tour I can only imagine what an embarrassment a H.O.F. induction would be at this point in time. We ALL know Dave would shine like the Diamond that he is, Michael Anthony would be fine but the rest? Ed's a walking freak, Al (Who fucking cares) and then with Spam there to hog the spotlight as if he were actually a part of the legacy? No, no, no, no, no............... And I think the voters realize that. They should just do what they did in the old days (like the inaugural MTV Video Music Awards) and just have Dave show up and thank everyone on behalf of Classic Van Halen. I mean, he's the only one who gives a rats ass about preserving it's collective legacy in the first place. The rest are just yes-men and loose cannons anyway. Fuck 'em I say and Sam has no business being there at all. I'd say Ed should be there but he's such a fucking mess. Oh well and my two cents.
                      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

The same reason that BLACK SABBATH, KISS, THIN LIZZY, LYNYRD SKYNYRD, THE SEX PISTOLS and IGGY POP aren't in the Hall...because the Hall is full of shit!!

(I'm almost sure IGGY isn't in there...I believe THE STOOGES were finally on the list this year but weren't nominated.)

(THE SEX PISTOLS are one of the most influential bands in history...it's ridiculous that the shitty PRETENDERS are in there and the PISTOLS aren't.)
                        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

This is copied from an article on the web in '99 about Black Sabbath:

'Don't cry for perennial Hall of Fame rejects Black Sabbath, though; frontman Ozzy Osbourne asked that his band of Iron Men be removed from the nomination ballot. "Just take our name off the list," he wrote in an Oct. 4 letter to the Hall of Fame. "Save the ink. Forget about us. The nomination is meaningless, because it's not voted on by the fans." (Sabbath was not removed from the ballot, but it didn't end up mattering).'

Comment

• rustoffa
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

The whole fucking thing is a joke.

Pure shit.

The LEGENDS that are in are one thing....

That's easy...everything else boils down to some constipated, artsy-fartsy consortium of assholes.

Watching Bruce Fucking Springsteen jam onstage at the little celebration after the inductions makes me fucking sick.

Fuck the Mamas and the papas

Fuck Paul Simon

Fuck The Band

Fuck Simon and Garfunkel

Fuck Joanie Collins

Fuck everyfuckingthing else that isn't rock and roll in there.

I hold it in no regard as it sucks big green donkey dicks.

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Rock 'n Roll has it's roots in gospel, r&b, and country music, so I wouldn't put a real tight definition of what kind of 'rock' should be in there.

Johnny Cash, Elvis, the Ramones, and Paul Simon all have their place there if they are elected.

Everyone is going to have a band or artist that should be in there that isn't. It's similar to the Baseball HOF. Nothing is going to be perfect.

Van Halen should be in, but they aren't, and I can understand why voters wouldn't put them on their ballot, even though I would if I were voting.

Comment

Working...