X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spmusicplyr
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2004

20 years on April 1st

Dave quit/was fired from VH on 4/1/85. As the 20th anniversary nears, what are some of your thoughts on his solo shot?

What are your opinions on his albums and some of the actions he took throughout his solo career so far.
    What do you agree with? Disagree?
    Curious about your opinions on some of these things...not limited to...
    1) EEAS movie not being made
    2)Skyscrapers overproduced sound
    3) Your filthy little mouth...love it or leave it?
    4) Vegas stint..
    5) 1996 fiasco
    6) sam and dave tour
    7) new style voice since 1994
    8) lack of touring in last couple years
    9) 1 new song (thug pop) since 1998...
    10) losing the EEAS band...could anything have been done to save it?

think of whatever you'd like....but lets just take a moment to reflect on the parts we like (or hated) about dave as a solo artist as the 20 year mark approaches...i wanna know if you like what he's done, hate what he's done or have any ideas on what dave should have done or should do
    Got beef with my comments? Blow me!
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Re: 20 years on April 1st

1) EEAS movie not being made
    too bad...would have been funny as hell

2)Skyscrapers overproduced sound
    dave should have not produced it himself

3) Your filthy little mouth...love it or leave it?
    love it !!! misunderstood masterpiece

4) Vegas stint..
    got the boots, great show, great band...dave was doing "vacation" would love to get a video from that show.

5) 1996 fiasco
    fuck the sisters !!!

6) sam and dave tour
    fuck sam...

7) new style voice since 1994
    good to hear his voice coming back strong as it was now

8) lack of touring in last couple years
    naah...he's been around and don't forget, that man is 50, give him a rest from time to time

9) 1 new song (thug pop) since 1998...
    could have been more...but I like diamond dave and would love to get a blues album from dave...

10) losing the EEAS band...could anything have been done to save it?
    vai and sheehan's playing was incredible but I prefer the down to earth sound of ALAE more.
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Love most of what Dave's done since the split, with a few exceptions here and there. I'll tell you this............I want a brand new album.........NOW!

Comment

• loss of fools
        Head Fluffer
        • Oct 2004

i think daves done fine. his solo material is great and he hasent embaressed himself unlike ed, al and mike.

Comment

• cwsmith17
          Sniper
          • Apr 2004

I love everything Dave has done.

I'm amazed that he still gives 100% in music and his personal life after all these years.

He's an inspiration!

Comment

• philouze
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

1. would have loved to see it
            2. as long as the songs are good...
            3. YFLM is a hell of an album
            4. Dave as a crooner... love it !
            5. Alex is gay
            6. Sam's too
            7. Love his voice, that's not the point...
            8. He hasn't been in France since 91, so...
            9. Thug Pop's great... Waitin' 4 more
            10. EEAS band still kicks my ass. Would be cool to see them reunited for one show !

Comment

• TongueNGroove
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2004

I love EEAS and Skyscraper! Two fo the best rock albums ever made, not just because of the music but becasue of the whole vibe that band gave off and I think a lot of it had to do with Steve Vai.

I also love the solo albums Dave did with california girls, just a gigalo, etc...

The last thing that I really like that Dave made was the 'lil aint enough song/album.

After that it's been all down hill, but Dave gave us a lot in the time he had.
              -We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier.

Comment

• Cathedral
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Edward Van Halen, Steve Vai, and Jason Becker...without either of these guys, nobody is good enough for Dave to share a stage with.

The man has auditioned tons of musicians and never connected with any of them that are not on the above list. (He has some serious horror stories to tell)

That persuit wore him down to a point where music just lost its flare in his life, so he based his decisions on that and did what he wanted to do as a loner.
                He's basically been fucked over by everyone that was close to him besides "Big" Ed Anderson.

And remember, the brothers had material they started with Dave to rebuild on, Dave had nothing and came up with EEAS....That says it all in my opinion.
                The "Mighty" left with Dave and was evident on his stage ever since.

Comment

• franksters
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2004

You guys forget the book! which is amazing!

i loved all the stuff he did and beleive me something big is coming...
                  there is a lee roth revival it's in the air!!
                  SUMMER'S JUST
                  AROUND
                  THE CORNER!

[IMG]
                  http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rs/2wbthcw.jpg

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Dave had to leave, he wanted to work and do different things,

the brothers were drunk and lazy and wanted to release a best of and

tour stadiums as a money grab.

I think Dave has done great despite a lack of support from the media

and the smear campaign by the brothers, the midget bass player and

the Ronald McDonald imitator.

Comment

• Lou

I think it sucks that the world has been Van Halen-less for 20 years due to egos.

Comment

• academic punk
                        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

The coolest thing dave has done since the split is for the most part stay above the name-calling and whatnot.

I rememeber reading interview after interview with Hagar and the bothers promoting 5150, and they just slammed dave continuously. I read concert review after concert review where Sammy - of all people - was making fun of dave from the stage.

Every show I saw of the Eat 'Em tour someone either threw a banner or ball or cardboard poster on stage that said somethign akin to "Fuck Van Halen"...not once did Dave present it to the crowd. Despite the fact that the crowd would have roared its approval, Dave would either thorw it right backstage or back into the audience with minimal fanfare.

Class.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

April Fools Day - Very appropriate...

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                            Foot Soldier
                            • May 2004

haha yea.....

1) the book was awesome
                            2) that new japanese video in the multimedia section fucking rocks!

3) i think it sucks that dave never put out a DVD like VH did....like an official dvd and not a boot.
                            Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lou
                              I think it sucks that the world has been Van Halen-less for 20 years due to egos.
                              That's 50% correct, but keep in mind that all 4 of them had huge ego's from the start, it's what gave us the 6-pack, but what ultimately did them in as well.

The 1984 Tour actually wreaked of what was coming because the on stage demographic on that tour was one of distance from one another towards the end.
                              It was the year everybody started to be critical of each others performances as opposed to congratulating each other for jobs well done.

Comment

Working...