PDA

View Full Version : UAW Adds Stipulation To Parking For Reservists

BigBadBrian
03-15-2005, 08:28 AM
UAW Adds Stipulation To Parking For Reservists
Foreign Cars, Vehicles Bearing Bush Bumper Stickers Not Allowed

March 10, 2005

A parking agreement between the UAW and Marine reservists may have taken a political turn.

A courtesy policy that had been in place for years suddenly changed Tuesday.

Marine reservists from the Marine Corps Reserve Center who were allowed to park in the lot at the UAW Solidarity House on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit found that parking privileges had been revoked.

Local 4 reported that foreign-made cars and vehicles with Bush-Cheney bumpers stickers aren't welcome in the lot.

Tony Camilleri is a contractor who removes snow from the base.

"I think it shows a lack of respect even for other union members who have family members or friends that are active military or know someone who is, was or may be," Camilleri told Local 4.

The UAW responded to the change of policy in a statement:

"While the reservists certainly have the right to drive non-union made vehicles and display bumper stickers touting the most anti-worker, anti-union president since the 1920s, that doesn't mean they have the right to park in a lot owned by the members of the UAW," according to the statement.

BigBadBrian
03-15-2005, 08:29 AM
UAW Now Says Marines Can Park In Lot
Foreign Cars, Bush Bumper Stickers Previously Not Welcome

POSTED: 7:01 pm EST March 14, 2005
UPDATED: 7:17 pm EST March 14, 2005

After telling Marine reservists who drive foreign vehicles or display pro-President Bush bumper stickers they no longer could use a parking lot at the United Auto Workers headquarters, union officials have changed their minds.

The union, which has offices near a Marine Corps Reserve Center in Detroit, reversed its decision after some people said it reflected a lack of support for the Marines and the service of reservists.

"I made the wrong call on the parking issue and I have notified the Marine Corps that all reservists are welcome to park at Solidarity House as they have for the past 10 years," UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said in a statement released by the union.

Gettelfinger noted that he had served in the Marine Corps Reserves.

Officials for the Marine Corps Reserve Center could not immediately be reached for comment.

The UAW has a history of barring foreign-made cars from its lots.

Complete Statement From UAW

Here is the statement that Local 4 received Monday by UAW President Gettelfinger on Marine Reservists parking at UAW headquarters.

"I have reconsidered and reversed my decision not to allow Marine reservists to park non-union made vehicles or vehicles displaying Bush stickers at Solidarity House on weekends.

"Some people may have thought my orginal decision reflected a lack of support for the Marine Corps and the service of Marine reservists.

"That certainly was not my intention. Having served in the Marine Corps Reserves myself, I fully appreciate the sacrifices and contributions made by America's reservists, National Guard members and active duty military personnel and their families.

"That said, I made the wrong call on the parking issue, and I have notified the Marine Corps that all reservists are welcome to park at Solidarity House as they have for the past 10 years.

"I regret that the controversy over this decision has overshadowed the many good things the UAW and our members are doing to support and express our appreciation to America's service men and women and veterans."