PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl 44 in 2010 set for NYC?

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 05:30 PM
New York is building a new stadium on the West Side of Manhattan to attract the Olympics in 2012...

the NFL plans to vote soon whether or not to play there in the Super Bowl in 2010...

good...they should...it better not be a fucking dome...

Owners likely to vote on Super Bowl for potential N.Y. stadium
March 15, 2005
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- NFL owners could vote next week on whether to play the 2010 Super Bowl in New York at a new stadium built for the Jets on the West Side of Manhattan.

The vote would come at the NFL meetings in Hawaii.

"It's on the agenda for a possible discussion and vote," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday.

The New York Times reported on its website Tuesday that the owners were likely to approve the game contingent on construction of the stadium. The Super Bowl voting was pushed up from the league meetings in June to next week's gathering at the request of the Jets, who hope that a Super Bowl commitment would help their chances of getting approval for the stadium.

Construction of the stadium is the subject of a major political debate in New York with several bidders besides the Jets bidding for the purchase of the potential site, in railroad yards near the Hudson River.

Among the bidders are the Dolan family, owners of Madison Square Garden, who have been campaigning extensively against the building. Last week, this year's draft was moved from the Garden to the Javits Center, adjacent to the proposed stadium site and league officials acknowledged that the Garden's opposition to the stadium project played a role.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement that, unless the stadium is built, "New York won't get the Super Bowl and will lose out on hundreds of jobs, more than $200 million in economic activity and nearly $30 million in tax revenue."

Bloomberg also hopes the stadium will attract the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue first proposed a Super Bowl in New York following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11.

Detroit will host the game next February followed by Miami in 2007 and Phoenix in 2008. Miami, Tampa, Houston and Atlanta are candidates for the 2009 game.

monkeythe
03-15-2005, 05:55 PM
If the stadium gets built, it will have a retractable roof.

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Fuck the roof...

it needs to be in the fucking cold and snow...

I'm sick of all that pussy ass warm weather bullshit...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-15-2005, 06:11 PM
I'd be happy to see the stadium in New York where it belongs....

Nothing really against New Jersey, but it just ain't right....

And as far as the SB, damn right, let those fat cats freeze their cojones off....

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 06:16 PM
I agree...but correct me if I'm wrong...the Jets would play there...with the Giants still in Jersey right?

monkeythe
03-15-2005, 08:47 PM
The Giants are "supposedly" going to build another stadium for themselves in the Meadowlands complex. This project is hung up due to another NJ project involving a giant shopping complex by the stadium. The Giants claim that they won't build the new stadium if this complex is open on game days due to traffic concerns. That stadium would also have a retractable roof.

As far as the Jets stadium goes, I agree with the need for a retractable roof there. The stadium is being built in conjunction with an upgrade of the Javits convention center and the 2 will connect. If it has a roof, then the stadium can also be used as a lure for convention business instead of being used for only 8 football games a year.

As far as Cablevision & the Dolan family goes, do as most New Yorkers do and don't believe anything that they claim. There is no way they can buy the site at this time, as a matter of fact the Dolan's might be ousted from Cablevision due to shareholder complaints about their Voom satellite service.

In other NY area team building developments:
The Nets are supposedly going to move to a new arena in Brooklyn.
NASCAR wants to develop a track in Staten Island
There is a possibility of a new Yankee stadium being built across the street from the current Yankee stadium in the Bronx.
And not to be left out, Queens could possibly be home to a new stadium for either the Jets alone or a combo stadium with the Mets.

Figs
03-15-2005, 09:31 PM
It will definitely have a roof, I don't see it being built. The Jets don't want to go back to Queens.

I don't think there will ever be a northern Super Bowl without a roof.

The Dolans suck ass.

Bob_R
03-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Great thread. NY won't get the Olympics w/o that stadium.

I could give a rat's ass if it's built. Keep the Jets in Jersey. :)

DlocRoth
03-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Ok it sounds crazy, but did I hear the stadium will cost a billion dollars to be built?

twonabomber
03-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Figs

The Dolans suck ass.

don't have to remind me of that.

vanzilla
03-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Ok it sounds crazy, but did I hear the stadium will cost a billion dollars to be built?

I heard that same thing as well. But I'm sure the a lot of that is because of property cost. I mean - it's not cheap to throw something up like that in Manhattan.

The biggest gripes I've heard from Jets fans is there concern over parking. Plus, with the limited space available, tailgating could be a problem.

I think the Jets definitely need a new stadium. I've been to the Meadowlands twice and hated it. The only place worse is friggin Texas Stadium in Dallas. I'm not sure if this is the answer though.

Hopefully my boy Chad will still be QB'ing for the Jets in 2010.

Figs
03-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Concrete/mafia bribes, union bribes, kickbacks, high real esate, and high labor costs.

I think it's starting to look like the most likely scenario is both football teams in a new NJ stadium. They'll never get past the litigation in NYC.

redblkwht
03-16-2005, 11:58 PM
The Superbowl is overdue to play football in real weather.
I agree with Poj, fuck the rosebowl like games, superdome etc..
Im all about anything can happen including the wind/rain/snow!!