03-19-2005, 12:14 AM
This week on the radio.

I have to say I'm shocked.

I agree with 90% of his stuff.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
03-19-2005, 12:33 AM
I really haven't had a chance to listen, but I sense that what I have heard second hand tells me he is an ardent libertarian.

Seshmeister
03-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

All politicians are assholes kind of thing.

Specifically I was surprised at his take on Israel.

Satan
03-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Got it streaming down to Hell right now...

steve
03-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Same,Sesh. (on the 90% comment...all except the "not voting" part...I believe in casting one for the lesser of two evils - no political system is perfect. Anyway...

I remember getting into an argument (a year ago) with a friend of mine - big Bush supporter.
He was slammin' me for not supporting Bush - whom he was arguing had freed the Saddam's subjects from their chains. He could not comprehend how I could be on the other side of the fence.
After talking to this person for a while, I convinced him that the administration had blatently lied about much of the info (centrifuges from Africa - Condi Rice not claiming to have "not read" (source: Wash Post) the British counter intel part of the report, etc.) used to convince americans of reasons to attack Iraq, and furthermore got him to ADMIT that yes...you never heard ONE WORD from the Bush administration about "freeing the Iraqi people" until you had 200000 troops in Baghdad and zero WMDs. furthermore, I pointed out that we were doing NOTHING in Darfur, an example of FAR WORSE dictatorial brutality. (We still have done nothing - save pointing out that genocide is happening).

But after all this, he flat out said that he was OK with them lying "if that's what it took" to get the job done.

While I see the virtue in getting rid of bad dictators like Saddam when possible, it sickens me that this administration LIED to do it.

I support the part of this war that has served to rid the people of Iraq of a dangerous dictator.

But the problem is I have ZERO faith that that the Bush administration really gave two SHITS about the Iraqi people; when in fact, ridding THEM of Saddam was the only good reason for invading Iraq...and they (bush admin) knew it. Yet this (ridding the IRAQI PEOPLE) of Saddam, was NEVER a reason given. Why?...because Americans would have NEVER launched a war on those premises.

I would have - and another 5% of us might have, but certainly not the mid-westerners most vehemently behind the fear politics of Junior and the neo-cons.

Instead, we were fed shoddy at best info about "mobile labs" and "centrifuges" - meaningless code words to strike up fear.

Saddam was contained, he was no more a menace (to those outside his borders) than any dictatorial regime on the entire continent of Africa...and less a "threat" (to Americans) than other bad guys on the itinerary: Al Queda abroad, Al Queda flooding across the Mexican border, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan (A Q Khan), or North Korea.

So why clean up the mess of one nasty dictator, but not the dozens of other equally bad ones throughout the world?

BECAUSE WE SUPPORTED SADDAM IN THE 80s.

Cheney and Rumsfeld in particular were architects of a defense policy that sought to use Saddam to contain Iran during the Iran/Iraq war. It was common, available knowledge in the 80s that, while we may or may not have actually supplied Saddam with chemical weapons (most analysts think the CIA gave him the know-how), we DID openly give his military satellite targets of Iranian positions... data he used to chem-bomb Iranian soldiers.

A MAJOR REASON FOR THIS WAR - that has not been covered by the "liberal media" - was former Reagan admin officals covering up old messes; thus the peculiar focus on Saddam and not other dictators (includin gKhadaffi! We just bragged about making a deal with a guy that still tortures his own people. We fuckin' rock, huh?)

A large part of Saddam's trial - if there ever is one - will be his use of chemical weapons in the Iran Iraq war. - That said, I support retroactively this war under one condition: Cheney and Rumsfeld testify under oath at Saddam's trial concerning U.S. intel used to chem-bomb Iranians.
http://cnparm.home.texas.net/911/Backg/Rumsfeld-Saddam.jpg

steve
03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
June 13, 2004

Iraqi General: US Helped Us as We Used Chemical Weapons
by Aaron Glantz
BAGHDAD (IPS) - The Iraq issue today may never have arisen if it were not for the support former U.S. president Ronald Reagan gave Saddam Hussein.
Reagan died Saturday June 5 in his Los Angeles home.
Reagan's two terms as President correspond roughly to the Iran-Iraq war, the longest conventional war of the 20th century.
Saddam Hussein invaded Iran on Sept. 22, 1980 with the stated goal of gaining control of the Shatt al-Arab, the river that has formed a border between Iran and Iraq, and which would give Iraq better access to the Persian Gulf.

The U.S. government was then interested in containing Iran, which had just become one of Washington's major enemies after the Islamic Revolution lead by Ayatollah Khomeini. U.S. hostages had been taken, and Ronald Reagan had just been elected partly on the strength of criticizing President Jimmy Carter's inability to free them.

"America and Saddam thought the same way at that time, because America wanted to destroy the revolution in Iran," retired Iraqi Brigadier-General Zekki Daoud Jabber told IPS in an interview in his Baghdad home.

When Reagan was President, Gen. Jabber was in charge of communication and radar for the Iraqi military. Almost from the beginning of the conflict, U.S.-manned AWACS aircraft leased to Saudi Arabia were used to relay intelligence to the Iraqi military.
"It was very important to us," Gen. Jabber told IPS, "because it allowed us to know where Iran's planes were; where they would strike."
More significant assistance for Saddam's regime would come later, but it took Reagan some time to arrange that.
Reagan took the first step in November 1983 when he removed Iraq from the U.S. government's official list of "nations that support international terrorism." That opened the door to full diplomatic and economic cooperation between Iraq and the United States.

The next month he sent an emissary to Baghdad bearing a personal letter for Saddam. That emissary was none other than current Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

A declassified official note at the time read: "Saddam Hussein showed obvious pleasure with the President's letter and Rumsfeld's visits in his remarks."

Rumsfeld also met Saddam's foreign minister Tariq Aziz. According to a State Department memo made available by the National Security Archives in Washington, Rumsfeld told Aziz: "The United States and Iraq share many common interests," and that the Reagan administration had a "willingness to do more" to "help Iraq."

In 1984 Tariq Aziz, now under arrest after being on the list of Iraqis most wanted by the U.S. administration, traveled to Washington and met Ronald Reagan at the White House. Following that meeting, the United States made its intelligence in the Gulf available to Iraq on a regular basis, and set up direct links between the CIA and the U.S. embassy in Baghdad.

Through this time the Reagan administration largely ignored reports that Saddam Hussein was using chemical weapons against the Iranian army and against domestic Kurdish insurgents.

"While condemning Iraq's resort to chemical weapons," a U.S. government press release read, "the United States finds the Iranian regime's intransigent refusal to deviate from its avowed objective of eliminating the legitimate government of Iraq to be inconsistent with accepted norms."

knuckleboner
03-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by steve

But the problem is I have ZERO faith that that the Bush administration really gave two SHITS about the Iraqi people;

you need look no further than the fact that bush gave saddam several ultimatums (none of which mentioned human rights) before we invaded.

had saddam decided in december 2002 to let any inspector bush wanted in, with zero interference and let them go wherever and whenever they wanted, would opertation, "iraqi freedom" have ever existed?...

as for dave, he's got that firefighter/EMT thing going for him now. so how's about mayor of pasadena?

steve
03-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Good points, man.

Do you think Saddam's lawyers will try to bring Cheney and Rummy to testify? I'm thinking this might be a good "Vegas Odds" type of question.

I say yes. In fact, I think it's a pretty obvious yes. Saddam already started to do it at his prelim. hearing.

The REAL question then is will Saddam ever even see trial as a result of this? Will he be whacked beforehand? Will the "liberal" media not cover that "irrelevant" part of the trial?

Or, will he get off and room with OJ?

knuckleboner
03-21-2005, 03:34 PM
i like the last part.

i see WB sitcom.

"Saddam & the Juice," saturday nights on the WB.

"hilarity ensues as former iraqi president, saddam hussein, moves in with former heisman winner, o.j. simpson. saddam promises to help o.j. find the real killers and o.j. promises to help saddam find his buried weapons of mass destruction."

but yeah, not a bad call on saddam trying to call cheney and rumsfield. i'd say there's a decent chance of that. zero that they go, though.

most likely, it'll be a boring trial. i'm guessing saddam doesn't testify.

(but i'm REALLY hoping his former information minister does...)

FORD
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner

as for dave, he's got that firefighter/EMT thing going for him now. so how's about mayor of pasadena?

I know he still owns a house there, but has he actually spent enough time in pasadena in recent years to claim residency?

Seems like every time I've heard an address mentioned in the last several years, it's either been New York or Florida.

Nickdfresh
03-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I know he still owns a house there, but has he actually spent enough time in pasadena in recent years to claim residency?

Seems like every time I've heard an address mentioned in the last several years, it's either been New York or Florida.

I think Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard may now be in that mix.

steve
03-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
i like the last part.

i see WB sitcom.

"Saddam & the Juice," saturday nights on the WB.

"hilarity ensues as former iraqi president, saddam hussein, moves in with former heisman winner, o.j. simpson. saddam promises to help o.j. find the real killers and o.j. promises to help saddam find his buried weapons of mass destruction."

but yeah, not a bad call on saddam trying to call cheney and rumsfield. i'd say there's a decent chance of that. zero that they go, though.

most likely, it'll be a boring trial. i'm guessing saddam doesn't testify.

(but i'm REALLY hoping his former information minister does...)

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612287298

I've had that sitcom spinning around for quite a while. Don't tread on me, mofo.
I am hoping the Information Minister is the star witness.

kentuckyklira
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I remember getting into an argument (a year ago) with a friend of mine - big Bush supporter.
He was slammin' me for not supporting Bush - whom he was arguing had freed the Saddam's subjects from their chains. http://cnparm.home.texas.net/911/Backg/Rumsfeld-Saddam.jpg Well, shooting moving targets is more fun, ainīt it?

BigBadBrian
03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Well, shooting moving targets is more fun, ainīt it?

Indeed. How fast can you run?

:gun:

UNCLAX72
03-21-2005, 08:21 PM
i need to get that

FORD
03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
What, a frontal lobotomy?

Oh, nevermind. They can't cut out what isn't there.

knuckleboner
03-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I've had that sitcom spinning around for quite a while. Don't tread on me, mofo.

fair enough, dude.

though, season 1 cliffhanger has to have saddam coming to the startling conclusion that the nicole and ron were actually iced with iraqi mustard gas. simutaneously, while digging for iraqi centrifuges, the juice discovers another bloody glove.

Nitro Express
03-23-2005, 03:00 AM
I think America is in a stalemate. In fact, we aren't a melting pot anymore and when push comes to shove, we really are at a point that's simular to before the civil war broke out. But instead of slavery and state's rights, it's religiouse issues, ethical issues, big govt vs. small govt. In short, it's about conservatism vs. liberalism and both hate each other and don't agree on anything.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the US break up into two or three smaller countries that might include parts of Canada and Mexico. One thing for sure, 9/11 stirred the shit and helped divide the country even more. Bush making the mistake to go into Iraq will only divide the country even more. I think it will be 1960's style fighting but even worse. Who knows what will become of the country. Maybe it will survive in tact, maybe liberal states will want to break away from conservative states.

steve
03-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I think the REAL religion in this country - whether people are willing to admit it or not, is BUYING SHIT YOU DON'T NEED (not you in particular, the royal you).

We're in the machine, man.

We buy the cheapest shit we can because we've got to have the most stuff.
Big companies that circumvent workers' rights and receive government subsidies are the ones able to supply the cheapest stuff.
Laws are re-written to benefit them
Wars are started to benefit them.

The companies are these non-thinking beasts where whistleblowers are fired for threatening the bottom line.

What we have is not capitalism - which I am a BIG fan of - but we are quickly morphing into an ugly Neo-Darwinist-consumer-cronyism.

And I find it strange that the folks that argue the merits of consumerism also claim to be the most Christian; when, if you take the bible literally, Jesus preaches charity to such a degree that it's difficult to argue that he would NOT be a Communist or something along those lines.

FORD
03-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

I wouldn't be suprised to see the US break up into two or three smaller countries that might include parts of Canada and Mexico. One thing for sure, 9/11 stirred the shit and helped divide the country even more. Bush making the mistake to go into Iraq will only divide the country even more. I think it will be 1960's style fighting but even worse. Who knows what will become of the country. Maybe it will survive in tact, maybe liberal states will want to break away from conservative states.

http://zapatopi.net/cascadia/casmap.gif

Statistics of the Republic of Cascadia:

* Name: The Republic of Cascadia (long form), Cascadia (short form)
* Capital: Cascadia
* Area: 855,762 sq km
* Population: 12,653,849 (1997 est)
* GDP: US$323 billion (1996 est)
* Language: Cascadese (a dialect of English)
* Time System: Metric Time

The Republic of Cascadia stretches from 42° to 60° north latitude. Its western border consists of the Pacific coast and a portion of the American state of Alaska. On the east, it borders the American states of Idaho and Montana and the Canadian province of Alberta. Cascadia is divided into three prefectures: British Columbia, Oregon, and Washington.
Government:

Cascadia is a constitutional republic that guarantees its citizens their basic rights, including freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the right to a fair trial with a jury of peers. It has a strong democratic tradition and universal suffrage. The seat of the national government is in the capital city of Cascadia, which is tucked safely away from centers of urban decadence.
Resources:

Cascadia has abundant natural resources. Vast forests provide it with ample timber for both export and domestic use. Rich fish and shellfish stocks also supply valuable exports as well as powerful brain-food for its citizens. Raging rivers and vulcanism offer cheap and renewable forms of hydrodynamic and geothermal power generation. Its many harbors and protected waterways give Cascadia an edge when it comes to trans-Pacific shipping.

Its natural resources are exceeded only by its industrial resources. The Cascadian software and biotechnology industries lead the world in innovation and market-share dominance. Cascadian-produced software is on 97% of the world's computers, and that figure will continue to rise. (Although it has not yet achieved sheep-cloning technology, it is close -- watch out Scotland!) The Republic of Cascadia is a nuclear power with the ability to process weapons-grade plutonium and also advanced missile technology. Cascadia has the facilities and technical expertise to produce a wide range of fighter, support, and commercial aircraft, as well as space vehicles. Besides being a global leader in vehicle technology, Cascadian industry is also developing sea-based launch capabilities for orbital payload delivery and possible lunar conquests.

But why conquer the moon when you can win the stars? The Republic of Cascadia has long been sought by movie and TV producers for use in location shooting -- and even production work -- because of its scenic beauty; commercially popular image; and cheap, non-union labor. This is just a part of Cascadia's plan to become a global media powerhouse, the likes of which Hollywood couldn't imagine. Cascadia has a proven track-record in producing trends in music, fashion, food, and other forms of product consumption, which it can profit from by building on its brand recognition and loyalty. Furthermore, with its space program providing satellite technology and its software industry providing cutting-edge Internet technology, Cascadia is poised to control the means of infotainment distribution -- and thereby consumer demand -- on a global scale.

The Republic of Cascadia is not yet officially recognized by Canada, the United States of America, or the United Nations. Not that it is any of their business.

http://zapatopi.net/cascadia/casflagbg.gif
The Cascadian flag contains the following symbolic elements:

* Waving blue and white stripes: Evokes both the deep blue waters of the Pacific Ocean and Puget Sound as well as the snow capped mountains of the Cascade range
* Field of green: For the lush vegetation of our nation
* Field of Red: For the volcanism and tectonic forces that burn beneath us
* Setting sun: Represents our place at the western edge of the American continent
* Fir cone: Represents rebirth, renewal, and our natural forest resources

fanofdave
03-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Welcome to FORD's fantasyland, where he really does live in
a world all his own.

Wayne L.
03-24-2005, 04:07 PM
I haven't heard Dave on the radio yet but him being a libertarian isn't too much of shocker besides he probably knows more about the issues than the politicians in Washington.

steve
03-24-2005, 04:12 PM
he's a libertarian SOCIALLY...
but he also seems to be a HEAVY advocate of community service, and paying those community servants (teachers, military personel, first responders, police, A LOT...which requires taxes.

He's more like an ancient Spartan.

Nickdfresh
03-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I haven't heard Dave on the radio yet but him being a libertarian isn't too much of shocker besides he probably knows more about the issues than the politicians in Washington.

Might I add Wayne that you are not "the coolest guy here?"