PDA

View Full Version : Alomar Retires After 17-Year MLB Career

ALinChainz
03-19-2005, 03:29 PM
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Roberto Alomar, a 12-time All-Star who signed with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays with hopes of playing one final season, retired Saturday.

Alomar's announcement came one day after he committed two errors in one inning of a spring training game. The 37-year-old Alomar has been bothered by back and vision problems in recent weeks.

"I played a lot of games and I said I would never embarrass myself on the field," Alomar said. "I had a long career, but I can't play at the level I want to play, so it's time to retire."

This would have been the 18th major league season for Alomar, who also played for San Diego, Toronto, Baltimore, Cleveland, the New York Mets, Arizona, and the Chicago White Sox.

He signed a $600,000, one-year contract with the Devil Rays in January, hopeful that he could end his stellar career on a high note after a swift decline the past three seasons. The team penciled him in as the everyday second baseman and No. 2 hitter.

Alomar, though, said he had doubts even entering camp.

"I just can't go anymore," Alomar said. "My back, legs and eyes aren't the same. I don't want to embarrass myself or my teammates."

With Alomar leaving, Jorge Cantu — who hit .301 in 50 games for Tampa Bay last season, his first in the major leagues — figures to take over at second base.

"I learned a lot from him and I have all the respect in the world for him," Cantu said. "I watched him when I was a kid and looked up to him all through the minor leagues. You have to respect what he's done."

A 10-time Gold Glove winner and career .300 hitter, Alomar is 276 hits shy of 3,000. He was an All-Star for 11 consecutive seasons from 1991-2001, but has struggled while batting .266, .258 and .263 the past three years.

In 2004, he missed two months with a broken right hand and finished with four homers and 24 RBIs in 56 games for Arizona and the White Sox.

Alomar's stellar career also included an infamous altercation with an umpire. In 1996, upset over strike calls, Alomar — then with the Baltimore Orioles — spat in the face of umpire John Hirschbeck in Toronto.

Alomar made matters worse afterward by saying he thought Hirschbeck was under stress because his 8-year-old son, John Drew, had died of a rare brain disease in 1993 known as adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD).

Yet soon, Alomar and Hirschbeck became friends, and even worked together to raise money earmarked for finding a cure for ALD. And Alomar hopes that mistake doesn't mar his legacy.

"I wish it never happened," Alomar said, "and I hope that's not how people remember me."

Also Saturday, Tampa Bay right fielder Danny Bautista, who hit .286 with 11 homers and 65 RBIs last season with Arizona, announced his retirement.

Bautista was in the major leagues for parts of 12 seasons with Detroit, Atlanta, Florida and the Diamondbacks. He hit .272 in 895 career games, and was 7-for-12 to help Arizona beat the New York Yankees in the 2001 World Series.

Story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&e=2&u=/ap/20050319/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_alomar_retires)

Figs
03-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Señor Spit

ALinChainz
03-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Always though he was the best at backhanding the ground ball and flipping it with his glove back to the SS covering second base.

POJO_Risin
03-21-2005, 10:26 AM
It's amazing the Hirschbeck has not only forgiven him...but become good friends with him...

and most everyone else hasn't...

Alomar should be a first or second ballot hall of famer...period...

like him or not...

He's much better than Ryne Sandberg ever was...enough said...

POJO_Risin
03-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Alomar and Vizquel...had they have played together more than 3 years...would have been on of the greatest combos defensively...maybe ever...

ALinChainz
03-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Amazing up the middle defense, those 2.

I'd say Robbie is a HOFer too, been nice to see him get 3,000. I'm sure it would be first ballot then for sure.

Warham
03-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
It's amazing the Hirschbeck has not only forgiven him...but become good friends with him...

like him or not...

Much better?

Sandberg won 9 gold gloves, went 123 games without a error and hit over 270 homers, 40 in one season.

I don't think so.

Warham
03-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Alomar had 183 errors in his career and Sandberg had 120.

POJO_Risin
03-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Well...War...it wouldn't be a day if we didn't argue about something...

I perhaps overstated the MUCH BETTER...

as far as errors go...Alomar had more range...and made more errors before he got to more balls that he couldn't make a play on...that's an unarguable fact...was it enough to make his error total equal to Sandbergs? No...but Alomar made plays Sandberg couldn't have.

That's not really taking away from Ryne...so we'll call their defense even...Sandberg making the routine routine...Alomar not nearly as routine as Sandberg...but with more range...

Offensively...when you look at these two guys, there really isn't a whole lot separating them...Power goes to Sandberg...although Alomar had more ribbies...but both are inconseqential enough to even mention...

Both had good baserunning skills...with a slight edge going to Alomar...

Alomar had a better OBP...

Their Slugging is a virtual deadlock...

Alomar had 10 Gold Gloves...to Ryne's 9...no big difference...

So I'll give that these players are more alike than different...

POJO_Risin
03-21-2005, 10:38 PM
So...if Sandberg is in...

and Alomar should be in...

why isn't Lou Whitaker?

Warham
03-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Sandberg was called the human vacuum cleaner when he played.

I think some folks are forgetting his range.

POJO_Risin
03-21-2005, 10:56 PM
War...I'm not forgetting his range in the least...but Roberto Alomar's range...in particular his range behind the bag was supernatural..

I could go with you round and round about this...but I'm not going to...

I watched both play nearly their whole careers, Sandberg on WGN...Alomar...because I was a fan...

The fact of the matter is that I agreed with all your post said...

I'm not going to argue a simple fact that Roberto Alomar had superior range than not only Sandberg...but maybe any other second baseman to play in this era...hell...maybe any era...

I know what people said about Sandberg...and they were right....he was underrated as far as speed goes...

again...both players were more even than not...

Warham
03-21-2005, 11:28 PM
:D

guwapo_rocker
03-21-2005, 11:37 PM
It was amazing to watch Alomar during his best years as a Jay.

He was an incredible player.

Shame about his temper.

Figs
03-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Alomar probably should be in the hall...

I like the old error/range debate. Reminds me of that fucking Cal Ripken and his low error numbers....

POJO_Risin
03-23-2005, 01:21 PM
And Figs...that's what I was thinking about when I was posting it...

I think Sandberg had better range, quickness and speed than some other 2B...which is the difference with Ripken...

but Alomar's range was truly spectacular...he had SS range at 2B...

Dave's PA Rental
03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Much better?

Sandberg won 9 gold gloves, went 123 games without a error and hit over 270 homers, 40 in one season.

I don't think so.

plus, I dont think Ryan Sandberg was gay.

ALinChainz
03-23-2005, 07:35 PM

again...both players were more even than not...

Looking at their career numbers, this statement pretty much nails it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sandbry01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/alomaro01.shtml

Full Bug
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
My hats off to Alomar for the big contribution he made to the Blue Jays in our back-to-back World Series wins, he gave this city something to celebrate for the first time since the Leafs won the Stanley Cup before I was even born....

guwapo_rocker
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
My hats off to Alomar for the big contribution he made to the Blue Jays in our back-to-back World Series wins, he gave this city something to celebrate for the first time since the Leafs won the Stanley Cup before I was even born....

The Leafs won the Stanley Cup??

Full Bug
03-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
The Leafs won the Stanley Cup??
Thats what the oldtimers claim anyway, but anyone can doctor old black and white photos....:D

POJO_Risin
03-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Yo Bug...I didn't know Toronto had a hockey team...

I thought they all moved to the US...;)

sorry bro...couldn't help myself...

Full Bug
03-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Yo Bug...I didn't know Toronto had a hockey team...
I thought they all moved to the US...;)
sorry bro...couldn't help myself...
:heyfu: :asshole:

guwapo_rocker
03-23-2005, 10:51 PM
The Leafs would have won the cup this year for sure!!:lol:

monkeythe
03-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Too bad he went to the Mets. The uniform must suck all the talent out of any free agent that wears it Can't wait to see Beltran & Pedro suck this year.

Full Bug
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
The Leafs would have won the cup this year for sure!!:lol:
Yeah, with Tie Domi being named MVP.....:D

guwapo_rocker
03-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Aki Berg!!! LMAO!!

Rikk
03-23-2005, 11:17 PM

like him or not...

The city of Toronto certainly has a lot to thank him for.