PDA

View Full Version : Have you had enough of U2?

Wayne L.
03-24-2005, 06:47 AM
I think U2 is one of the most overrated groups in the history of rock & roll who stoodout during the 80's because they were the opposite of Motley Crue & Duran Duran which isn't saying too much while it's pathetic how the rock cummunity & the mainstream media treat them like they're more important & more influential thn the Beatles which is ludicrous. Frontman Bono is the most holier than thou rock star on the planet who has had way too much media coverage over the last five years more than over 20 years with his band which is sick & if he gets the Nobel Peace Prize you know it becomes more of a joke than it already is with past honorees Jimmy Carter & Yasser Arafat. I think U2 deserves to be inducted into the RNRHOF because they are one of the greatest rock bands of the 80's but 70's rock acts Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple, Grand Funk Railroad, Kiss, Heart & Van Halen deserve it more than any 80's rock groups.

Full Bug
03-24-2005, 08:59 AM
I have never liked U2, I think they are one of the most overrated bands ever....

m_dixon1984
03-24-2005, 09:42 AM
There's a reason I love the party rock of CVH and DLR and that's because I can't stand some of the alternatives...like U2. Ugh, what boring, pretentious crap they've recorded over the years. Now that they're touring, and coming to my town, I hear nothing but how great they are and that their concert is a must see. Bullshit!! Motley was just in town and that was the show of the year so far. Awww Yeah!
M

Figs
03-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Have you had enough of U2?

no

Matt White
03-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Lay off the brown acid Wayne.

Lou
03-24-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't really care for them. They have a few good songs like "I Will Follow," "Two Hearts Beat As One," and "In God's Country." Other than than that they don't really do anything for me.

LoungeMachine
03-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Hey Wayne.....

Are you being FORCED to listen to U2 ??????

Are you part of some cult that makes you suck toes while listening to The Joshua Tree??????

moron

Coyote
03-24-2005, 10:02 AM
A couple of songs I like, that's all. Early stuff like "Gloria", etc.

Last_Child
03-24-2005, 10:11 AM
War is one of my Favorite albums!

I've just discovered U2 so I haven't had enough..

FORD
03-24-2005, 10:26 AM
I think Wayne L is one of the most overrated morons in the history of rock & roll who stood out during the 80's because he was whacking off to posters of Motley Crue & Duran Duran because Simon Le Bon has great feet which isn't saying too much while it's pathetic how the rock cummunity & the mainstream media treat them like they're more important & more influential thn the Beatles which is ludicrous. Wayne is the most dumber than thou cocksucker on the planet who has inhaled way too much rotten foot fumes over the last five years more than over 20 years with his rambling run on sentences which is sick & if he gets the Nobel Peace Prize you know it becomes more of a joke than it already is with past nominees Dr Scholls & Yasser Arafat. I think Wayne L deserves to be inducted into the GDFIHOF* because he is one of the dumbest Hick asswipes of Katydid's trailer park.

GDFIHOF = God Damned Fucking Idiot Hall Of Fame

ThrillsNSpills
03-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I think Wayne L is one of the most overrated morons in the history of rock & roll who stood out during the 80's because he was whacking off to posters of Motley Crue & Duran Duran because Simon Le Bon has great feet which isn't saying too much while it's pathetic how the rock cummunity & the mainstream media treat them like they're more important & more influential thn the Beatles which is ludicrous. Wayne is the most dumber than thou cocksucker on the planet who has inhaled way too much rotten foot fumes over the last five years more than over 20 years with his rambling run on sentences which is sick & if he gets the Nobel Peace Prize you know it becomes more of a joke than it already is with past nominees Dr Scholls & Yasser Arafat. I think Wayne L deserves to be inducted into the GDFIHOF* because he is one of the dumbest Hick asswipes of Katydid's trailer park.

That's what I'm talkin about. Get on the short bus to Springerville WL.
:bottle:

pete
03-24-2005, 11:06 AM
U2 is one of the only bands in the last 25 years that comes even close to the tradition of Rock-n-roll. The conscience, the creativity, the experimentation.

I'd say they took their cues from the BEATLES.

You idiot

LoungeMachine
03-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Lou
I don't really care for women.

they don't really do anything for me.

Mr Grimsdale
03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by pete
U2 is one of the only bands in the last 25 years that comes even close to the tradition of Rock-n-roll. The conscience, the creativity, the experimentation.

I'd say they took their cues from the BEATLES.

You idiot

and there was me thinking rock n'roll was about shagging birds, getting rat arsed and smashing up hotels

did chuck berry and the rest of the originals concern themselves with "conscience, the creativity, the experimentation"?

they were too busy stuffing their bell ends up some tarts back passage

Mr Grimsdale
03-24-2005, 11:24 AM
and i say that as a beatles fan

oy vay!

m_dixon1984
03-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
and there was me thinking rock n'roll was about shagging birds, getting rat arsed and smashing up hotels

did chuck berry and the rest of the originals concern themselves with "conscience, the creativity, the experimentation"?

Mr Grimsdale...you know rock n'roll. Any band that claims it's all about "conscience, the creativity, the experimentation" is actually just after sophisticated pussy,designer drugs and smashing up 5 start hotel rooms.

M

pete
03-24-2005, 12:15 PM

The fucking WHO, The Beatles, Chuck Berry (confronted racial issues), all these fuckers expressed their views while molesting 15 year olds, getting wasted., and driving cars into swinning pools.

They used their celebrity to draw attention and more than once raise money for various causes.

Nickdfresh
03-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Geez Wayne L(icks nutsack), you really hate BONO eh? How's your career going as a "lyricist" you fucking tool? Why don't you run your lyrics by us, perhaps a little ditty like this:

Toe Jam Blues

I got the to jam blues
Saw this little honey the otherday
Looked at her as she just walked away

(Chorus)
Saw her toes through the sandles on her feet
Dissapeared into a bathroom stall to beat my meat!

Oh it's so sweet!
She got some red polish on those tonails
But she didn't no man in a trailer
I got the goods to cures what ales her!

(Chorus)

I followed her down the street,
Said I'm a man with a fetish for long luscious legs and sweet feet.
C'mon honey, can't we meet
She just pulled out a can of spray
Shot me in the face and ran away!
Ohh why can't I meet a woman with sweet feet?

(Chorus)

Mr Grimsdale
03-24-2005, 02:10 PM
The fucking WHO, The Beatles, Chuck Berry (confronted racial issues), all these fuckers expressed their views while molesting 15 year olds, getting wasted., and driving cars into swinning pools.

They used their celebrity to draw attention and more than once raise money for various causes.

that's all very well but bono and his boys don't do any of the "molesting 15 year olds, getting wasted., and driving cars into swinning pools", he just concentrates on the boring stuff

pete
03-24-2005, 02:31 PM
that's all very well but bono and his boys don't do any of the "molesting 15 year olds, getting wasted., and driving cars into swinning pools", he just concentrates on the boring stuff

You never know what those guys do.

Anyway, one man's bore is another party.

Even sex can become a bore - How do you think golden showers were invented?

Oh, and they do get wasted.

fe_lung
03-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm a big U2 fan, so I'm going to go with a no on this one. They've conistently released great music and they're a kick-ass live act. I can see where someone could get tired of seeing Bono on the news all the time, but you have to give the guy credit. Unlike a lot of celebs who put in an appearace at a benefit concert every few years and then call it good, he actually sticks with a cause and fights for it. Who else at Live Aid actually went to Africa and helped feed starving people? Bono and his wife went for over a month. Where was Phil Collins?

Actually, I believe that they have more in common with classic VH than meets the eye. Bono and Dave each have the rather unique ablility to connect with the audience on a very personal level. No matter if it's a club or a stadium, everyone in the place leaves feeling like they were connected to this great thing. Both singers give you the impression that, if you ran into them the next day, they'd say "Yeah, I remember seeing you! You were in the nosebleed seats. Row AAA27 seat 134. You had the blue shirt....."

Anyway, that's my take on it.

vanzilla
03-24-2005, 04:48 PM

LOL FORD!!!

vanzilla
03-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by fe_lung
I'm a big U2 fan, so I'm going to go with a no on this one. They've conistently released great music and they're a kick-ass live act. I can see where someone could get tired of seeing Bono on the news all the time, but you have to give the guy credit. Unlike a lot of celebs who put in an appearace at a benefit concert every few years and then call it good, he actually sticks with a cause and fights for it. Who else at Live Aid actually went to Africa and helped feed starving people? Bono and his wife went for over a month. Where was Phil Collins?

Actually, I believe that they have more in common with classic VH than meets the eye. Bono and Dave each have the rather unique ablility to connect with the audience on a very personal level. No matter if it's a club or a stadium, everyone in the place leaves feeling like they were connected to this great thing. Both singers give you the impression that, if you ran into them the next day, they'd say "Yeah, I remember seeing you! You were in the nosebleed seats. Row AAA27 seat 134. You had the blue shirt....."

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Agreed

Wayne L.
03-24-2005, 05:17 PM

The 80's are a joke in rock just like you are as a human being so if you don't have an opinion that's your problem.

Nickdfresh
03-24-2005, 05:28 PM
The 80's are a joke in rock just like you are as a human being so if you don't have an opinion that's your problem.

Wow Wayne L(ikes boys), FORD's really reeling from that stinging blast of sarcasm!

loss of fools
03-24-2005, 06:26 PM
iv never cared for u2

Atomic_Rob
03-24-2005, 06:36 PM
I think U2 are a great band, but Bono is takin the piss royally.

He wants to eradicate world debt and all that shit but still charges a minimum of £60 per gig ticket. They stand to make £250 million from the Vertigo. How much of it will go to Charity? Not alot I dont think...

fe_lung
03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
He wants to eradicate world debt and all that shit but still charges a minimum of £60 per gig ticket. They stand to make £250 million from the Vertigo. How much of it will go to Charity? Not alot I dont think... [/B]

U2 charges more a)because that's what the market will pay & b)because they don't have any corporate sponsorship and therefore have to bankroll the whole thing themselves. Big shows aren't cheap to put on. They lost a lot of money on the Popmart thing even though it was a stadium tour which sold out almost every show.

mewisemagic
03-24-2005, 08:28 PM
the first time i saw the"sunday bloody sunday"video on early mtv,i thought it was cool.everything since i think sucked and was over rated.like any media favorite.

degüello
03-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Have you had enough of U2?

Yes.

Jesus Christ
03-26-2005, 02:02 PM
The Messiah senseth much judgment in this thread. While my servants from Ireland aren't exactly saints, they have done according to My teachings in their efforts to feed the hungry, forgive debt (have any of ye read that prayer I wrote?) and fundeth research into a horrible disease which killeth as many in thy time as leprosy did back in the day.

And verily, they maketh good music besides.

LoungeMachine
03-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Amen

Mr Grimsdale
03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
You never know what those guys do.

Anyway, one man's bore is another party.

Even sex can become a bore - How do you think golden showers were invented?

Oh, and they do get wasted.

i still think they're the dullest, most over-rated band i can think of

sly piker
03-28-2005, 05:51 PM
we need U2... w/o the irish - who knows where the bottom is

Panamark
03-29-2005, 02:05 AM
Help, Im agreeing with WayneL. I think I have reached U2 saturation point. Even to the stage where reasonably good songs like Vertigo just annoy me. The last few albums smack of formulism, they could fart into a microphone and still get a grammy nomination.

They were the shit, now they are shit.

Some of the old stuff will always be magic.

kentuckyklira
03-29-2005, 08:55 AM
IMHO U2 have always sucked!

Never heard a tone from them I liked.

Incredibly mediocre guitarplayer with a pain in the ass singer and a tight but boring rythm section.

secrets
03-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Panamark

Yeah I agree Mark. They have done some classic stuff.

Really it depends on my mood but I think U2 are OK generally.

I can listen to them every so often and I wouldn't say I've had enough of them yet.

capnfrantic
03-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Lke them or not.The thing that applies here is- U2 is still together! Unlike the petty BS the VH brothers put us thru...I love CVH but at least with U2 I still have a band. Whatever

blueturk
03-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by capnfrantic
Lke them or not.The thing that applies here is- U2 is still together! Unlike the petty BS the VH brothers put us thru...I love CVH but at least with U2 I still have a band. Whatever

Good point. When you've got shit like "The Doors" with Ian Astbury, "Queen" with Paul Rodgers, "Thin Lizzy" without Phil Lynott, the ever-revolving "Lynyrd Skynyrd" line-up, and the afore-mentioned Van Halen sisters bullshit, it's good to see a band from back in the days of yore still doing it with their original line-up.

Seshmeister
03-29-2005, 09:31 PM

and i say that as a beatles fan

oy vay!

Would you want to see Yoko's face while you were fucking her?

Nickdfresh
03-29-2005, 10:21 PM

Try to think of The Beatles more often then!;)

Nickdfresh
03-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by sly piker
we need U2... w/o the irish - who knows where the bottom is

You could use the inbred Royal Family as a bench mark.

Nickdfresh
03-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Help, Im agreeing with WayneL. I think I have reached U2 saturation point. Even to the stage where reasonably good songs like Vertigo just annoy me. The last few albums smack of formulism, they could fart into a microphone and still get a grammy nomination.

They were the shit, now they are shit.

They are not shit! Still some fine musicianship and thought in that band. Who's better that's playing now? GREEN DAY maybe? I can't think of anything! Yes their current album is a bit of a disappointment, but U2's disappointment is still better than most bands pinnacle of a crowning achievement.

Nickdfresh
03-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
IMHO U2 have always sucked!

Never heard a tone from them I liked.

Incredibly mediocre guitarplayer with a pain in the ass singer and a tight but boring rythm section.

Shut up! Will I have to get BigBadBrian down here to do his Nazi jokes?

Mr Grimsdale
03-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Shut up! Will I have to get BigBadBrian down here to do his Nazi jokes?

i can do those too!

AUF MARSCH!

Mr Grimsdale
03-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Would you want to see Yoko's face while you were fucking her?

i'd take her from behind and thrust deep to the base of my genital probosis

secrets
03-30-2005, 10:23 AM
i'd take her from behind and thrust deep to the base of my genital probosis

How queer!

Where's me wash board?

Mr Grimsdale
03-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Exactly exactly.

FUCK OFF PARKY!

cooey mr shifter!

i can't believe it's not butter

i'm utterly butterly

we don't do duvets

AUF MARSCH!

Heute Polen, morgen die welt!

zum wilden hirsch

how rude!

i am about to shit

please be seated please

show us yer growler

ooh no missus no!

hi de hi!

ho de ho!

hello campers!

hello viewers!

i'm wanking

...a possible track listing for the next U2 record, looks like it'll be a double disc

secrets
03-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Exactly exactly.

FUCK OFF PARKY!

cooey mr shifter!

i can't believe it's not butter

i'm utterly butterly

we don't do duvets

AUF MARSCH!

Heute Polen, morgen die welt!

zum wilden hirsch

how rude!

i am about to shit

please be seated please

show us yer growler

ooh no missus no!

hi de hi!

ho de ho!

hello campers!

hello viewers!

i'm wanking

...a possible track listing for the next U2 record, looks like it'll be a double disc

Classic! LOL

Mr Grimsdale
03-31-2005, 02:05 AM
there's a bonus live EP too

with overlooked classics:
blimey, that's good!
who's up for fisting?
oh blimey! (cue sid james laugh)

Panamark
03-31-2005, 02:43 AM
You guys can crack a mongrel over Yoko ??

FARK !

I think I just replaced the tried and tested " Think of the
queen of england naked" thing to induce a soft on...

flappo
03-31-2005, 07:10 AM

i cuntcur

edge can't fucking play anything interesting , bono is a fucking bore wih spammy hagar screams and the backup are dullards in extremis

and as for the songs

*yawn*

most overrated band in rock history imo

make dire straits look like led zep

nuff said

secrets
03-31-2005, 07:29 AM
there's a bonus live EP too

with overlooked classics:
blimey, that's good!
who's up for fisting?
oh blimey! (cue sid james laugh)

And also including the bonus track featuring a duet with David Lee Roth:

'Achtung baby I say, I say!'

Mr Grimsdale
03-31-2005, 07:49 AM
'ave you gone raving mad?

Mr Grimsdale
03-31-2005, 07:49 AM
You guys can crack a mongrel over Yoko ??

FARK !

I think I just replaced the tried and tested " Think of the
queen of england naked" thing to induce a soft on...

you should see figs "mature" thread in the dump
quite remarkable

secrets
03-31-2005, 07:53 AM

Loco del calor amigo.

Mr Grimsdale
03-31-2005, 09:45 AM
orghhhh matron!
i'm not that kind doctor

secrets
03-31-2005, 01:59 PM
You are not a kind doctor eh?

Mr Grimsdale
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
just call me 'arold

secrets
03-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Not Harold off Neighbours I hope!

Mr Grimsdale
04-01-2005, 12:27 AM
you dirrrrrrrrty old maan

secrets
04-01-2005, 04:59 AM
Just see my latest posts in the dump.

Mr Grimsdale
04-01-2005, 07:24 AM
i can't fookin wait

hard rock
04-01-2005, 07:50 AM
I think U2 is a great band. They are original. Think about it a lot of bands sound alike and steal ideas from each other. How many CVH clones were out in the 80`s? How many LED ZEP imitators were there?

Who else sounds or sounded like U2? No one.

AS far as ticket prices go i was watching a program on TV that talked about this. They looked at the average ticket price in 1994 vs 2004.

Around 1997 tickets really started to inflate big time and guess what that was also the time Down loading started to take off.

They had this guy who worked for a promotions company and he said artist are losing money in CD sales so they are trying to get some of it back at the shows. Jon Bon Jovi was there and he said the same thing a lot of bands are trying to recover lost cash. You cant down load going to a concert you have to pay to go. So why charge 50 bucks when you can get 100.

unfortunately for most of us real fans who do go out and buy albums and spend money we get screwed bu those who are total free loaders who never shell out a dime on an album.

Dont get me wrong i have burned a few discs but there usualy one hit wonder groups who have one or two tunes that are good. Im not going to shell out 15 bucks for lets say the new maroon 5 cd but i will down load there 1 good song.

As far as bands that i truely like i purchase the cd and i pay the big price of the concert ticket. You can blame U2 for that.

hard rock
04-01-2005, 07:52 AM
i meant you CANT blame U2 for that!!!!!

Mr Grimsdale
04-01-2005, 09:11 AM
hahaha

don't say cant in the dump

Originally posted by hard rock
Who else sounds or sounded like U2? No one.

my problem partially stems from the fact i don't think they have a definite sound

some might say that's cos' they're eclectic but i just think it's because they're bland

and then there's the whole political correctness thing with them... but we've already been there on page 1