• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cato
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Do you prefer old gears to new ones?

I do. I'm not interested in new gears.
    Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel
  • Cato
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

my legendary pawnshop stratocaster was made in 1995 but it's a 54 model. that's why I bought it.

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

1991 Mexico Telecaster= $100, pawnshop off 3rd near Alvarado. With a gigbag.

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

So you dont like new stuff but buy 95 strats ?

CATO, you are an enigma wrapped in a mystery !
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Don Corleone
          Veteran
          • May 2004

I've got to admit, I tend to prefer newer gear, then to put my own miles down on them (beat them up and mod them to get it the way I like)
          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

I just buy the old stuff
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Why fuck around ?

80's Marshalls and guitars were great....
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Don Corleone
                Veteran
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                Why fuck around ?

80's Marshalls and guitars were great....
                Guitar wise, you have to fuck round with them to get them right. Amp wise though, I do favour my old Plexi (its 68 or 69).
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I don't care when it's made, I just want it to sound good. Not all old gear is good. They have always built crap. Some of these expensive vintage guitars people are paying huge sums of money for don't always sound good.

I think the place where old vs. new really comes into play is in the electronis. Some components are no longer made and it's impossible to match the sound of some old amps and peddles.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• tomballin
                    Commando
                    • Dec 2004

Late 50’s – Early 60’s Custom Fender stage tube amps, along with same vintage years Strats and Gibsons is all I own or want. Yeah, a little bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, but just a personal sound thing. Been playing since I popped out on the delivery table, tipped the Nurse 50 cents, and asked “which way to Hollywood”. - DLR

Comment

• Cato
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

um, for example, here's a couple of tube screamers. one is an original issue, made in the late '70s, another one is a re-issue made in 2003.
                      which would you take, and why?

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• tomballin
                        Commando
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Cato
                        um, for example, here's a couple of tube screamers. one is an original issue, made in the late '70s, another one is a re-issue made in 2003. which would you take, and why?
                        Well gear is like women, it’s all personal taste and preference.

However, when it comes to signal processors and studio gear, I usually go for the new stuff because the technology is vastly superior to the old stuff.

The only old signal processors I have is a Fender '63 Reverb unit, because I like the sound, along with an old Ibanez Tube Screamer, that actually has a tube in it, which sounds cool on blues stuff, and Ibanez stopped making that box many years ago, due to lack of demand.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Mar 2003

A Tube Screamer with a tube in it? What's the model number of that?

Comment

• tomballin
                            Commando
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                            A Tube Screamer with a tube in it? What's the model number of that?
                            It’s a Ibanez ECC83/12AX7 Tube. This model was for guitar, they had a bass model also.

In short it’s called an Ibanex PUE5 Tube, for professional musicians.

Ibanez came out with it after Stevie Ray Vaughan died in 1990 to showcase a signal processing board off what SRV was using.

It’s actually a six pedal combo board:

Tube Screamer, with an actual vented tube inside, (like SRV was using and he used it a lot),

Tube Drive (SRV didn’t use much, usually set at 0-1 for lead riffs),

Digital Delay (SRV used a lot)

Chorus (SRV used on songs like Cold Shot, etc.)

External Loop, (which I have channeled though a ‘63 Fender Reverb, and stereo split rig to two ‘59 Fender re-issue tube stage amps)

It has a lot of other professional features also. It’s really a sweat piece of gear, if you are into blues-rock. I just happened to stumble across it in ’93 and bought one. As much as I have used it, I'm surprised I have never had to find a replace tube for it.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

Well that clears up my question then. I was thinking like a TS808 type of Tube Screamer, and I couldn't think of one that Ibanez made in that type of package.

I've got a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal that has 2 12AX7's in it, and I love it.

So you've got one of the Fender Reverb units? Those are great...no one can make a reverb like Fender.

Comment

Working...