My new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new toy

I've toyed with the idea of having a replica of Ed's Frankie made for sometime now. Well about 2 months ago I contacted a guy over at Eddievanhalen.com about his building me one, and here is the end result:
    Roth Army Militia

Wow! He did a great job on the details. The worn paint, the cigarette burns. He enlarged the screw holes for the pickguard to make them look like they have been exposed to sweat. The quarter is drilled exactly right and the Dunlop strap lock button on the top horn is spot on too. The stripes are exactly right.

Shit, getting all of the stuff spot on is not easy to do, you could really fool people into thinking it was a real EVH guitar with that one. Congrats!
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

That's a beautiful piece of work. It's nice to see some great dedicated craftsmen out there with that kind of attention to detail.

Don, how does it play?
      Keep on Rothing in the Free World

Comment

Cool DON ! Looks great !

Im with UGS, how does it play ?? Or is it purely ornamental ?
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

The neck on the guitar looks pretty good...

Comment

That dude better hopes EVH doesn't get wind of him building replicas, cuz we all know what will happen.

Still awesome work though...hell could have fooled me with that guitar.

Comment

The paintjob and everything is spot on but something about the shape just doesnt look like frankie to me, I think it's the contours on the side. Ed's guitar isn't as round I think. Sorta more of a cross between what a les paul and a strat would look like. The side of Ed's guitar is more straight down like a paul.

still VERY nice tho
              The name Sammy Hagar conjures up a variety of emotions from music fans--from hate to contempt, from disgust to revulsion.

-TheSmokingGun.com

Comment

It would be cool to hand one to Ed and see what his reaction was
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Originally posted by Panamark
                  Cool DON ! Looks great !

Im with UGS, how does it play ?? Or is it purely ornamental ?
                  Thanks. It plays and sounds really good. I don't plan on it being an ornamental and plan on using it live.

A little bit about the guitar its a Lins Elsworth Ash body (same as the original Frankie)
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

Kick ass !!!
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Wow, someone took alot of time and attention to detailing this thing exactly like the original.

Lynn Ellsworth's bodies are a bit different, the horns for example are not dead-on, and as Scat says, the edge radius looks to be 1/2" unlike the original 3/8".

Big Deal. That thing took alot of hours, I'd have to charge just under $3 grand to build it.

How much?

Comment

Now THAT'S something to behold! Looks like ya raided Ed's studio for it, man.
                        DSG

http://www.wfmu.org/Playlists/Scott/van%20halen.jpg

Comment

Congrats on the new toy!

Comment

Originally posted by GAR
                            That thing took alot of hours, I'd have to charge just under $3 grand to build it.

How much?
                            This one cost me around 1150 USD (including shipping costs to the UK).
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

Not Bad ! So are you getting the Brownsound now Don ??
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...
                              X