Jesus Christ Landed On The Moon: Fact or Fiction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Jesus Christ Landed On The Moon: Fact or Fiction?

The Resurrection. Did it really happen?

By Sandi Dolbee
    UNION-TRIBUNE RELIGION & ETHICS EDITOR
    March 27, 2005

From "The Resurrection" by Matthias Grũnewald, 1515.

Great artists paint it. Famous composers produce masterpieces inspired by it. Leading theologians write books about it. The event stands alone as a single word, without need of description or definition.

Resurrection.

Today, on Easter Sunday, Christians celebrate the defining moment of their faith: a crucified Jesus rising from the dead, living proof of his divinity.

But did it really happen?

And how much does it matter for a religion that has grown from a band of disciples to the world's largest body, claiming a third of the population? Roughly 7 of 10 Americans identify themselves as Christians in surveys.

In U.S. opinion polls, the literal account of Jesus' Resurrection wins in a landslide. But religion is not a contest and Easter isn't an Election Day where one group of Christians wins out over another.

There are no photographs of an empty tomb. No home videos of Doubting Thomas checking Jesus' wounds. And there's no "CSI: Jerusalem." Instead, there is lingering disagreement over what was written centuries ago in Scriptures and what was meant.

"The classic Christian understanding of the Resurrection is that it did happen, it literally happened in a way that remains fundamentally mysterious," said the Rev. Lawrence Bausch, rector of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Ocean Beach.

Bausch turns to a famous passage in the New Testament from the apostle Paul, who writes that without the raising of Christ, all their beliefs are in vain. "In the end, if there is no Resurrection, then when you're dead you're dead," is how Bausch puts it. "There is nothing to be hoped for."

But there are Christians who simply don't buy into the physical Resurrection account.

Led by revisionist Jesus scholars such as Marcus Borg of Oregon State University, a movement of people view the biblical stories as metaphors on how to live life today. What is emerging, writes Borg in his 2003 book, "The Heart of Christianity," is "a new way of seeing Christianity and what it means to be Christian."

The Rev. Laurel Gray, a retired Lutheran minister who lives in El Cajon, is one of these adherents. "There are a lot of people, I would say, who are coming out of the closet, so to speak, and saying, 'Let's talk about this,' " said Gray, who leads an informal, ecumenical group of questioning seekers called the Church Alumni Association of San Diego.

For Gray, the Resurrection was spiritual, not physical. He says believing this doesn't diminish his faith. "I consider myself a Christian because I believe in the things Jesus taught," he added. Things like loving your enemy. "He introduced me to some principles that I think no one else has."

But for other Christians, if there is no bodily, physical rising, then Jesus runs the risk of becoming any other person who dies and lives on in our memories. "The enormity of the Resurrection is that he really does conquer death," said Bernadeane Carr, a Roman Catholic theologian and director of the Diocesan Institute, a San Diego diocese training program for religion teachers in Catholic schools.

It's a question of eternity. "The essence of Easter, of the celebration of Christ's Resurrection, is the grounding of our hope of eternal life," Carr said.

In traditional Christian theology, Jesus' death was a holy ransom, his life sacrificed for the sins of others, so that they might have eternal life. The Resurrection sealed the deal and a new religion was born, with Jesus as Messiah, Savior, the Christ.

Even nearly 2,000 years later, the miracle of the Resurrection is so powerful for followers that they leave their homes in darkness to celebrate with the sunrise from the beach at Coronado to the cross at Mount Helix.

"Without the Resurrection, there would be no reason to follow Jesus because that would mean there would be no eternal life," said Greg Allsup, who attends Calvary Chapel in El Cajon and leads a young adult group there. In other words: It's Easter, for Heaven's sake.

The Rev. M.A. "Mac" Collins, rector of St. Mark's Episcopal Church in City Heights, would rather talk about taking Jesus' teachings more seriously – from his biblical examples of inclusiveness to his exhortations to care for your neighbors.

"If we did more of that and less worrying about our symbols and how they are perceived in society, perhaps we would be a greater witness of the Resurrection and our faith," Collins said.

Suzie Knapp echoes that thought when she talks about helping her students at the Academy of Our Lady of Peace in North Park "get it from the inside out."

Knapp, campus minister and religious studies teacher at the Catholic girls high school, agrees that "sometimes people really get hung up on the details of resurrected body." In other words: Don't debate it, live it.

Still, Knapp leans toward the bodily Resurrection. After all, the Bible tells of Jesus appearing to his followers after his death, talking with them and eating with them.

The literal biblical account is good enough for Pastor Jeremy McGinty, lead minister of theMovement, a 3-year-old contemporary evangelical congregation in San Marcos. "The truth of God's word is black and white," McGinty said.

Besides, he asks, where's the body? "If they could have found the body of Christ, the movement of Christianity would have been gone."

Is it any wonder Easter is the holiest day on the Christian calendar? That day is today for western Christianity; Eastern Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter on May 1 this year.

"To me, it's absolutely huge," McGinty said. "To me, it's life or death. That's what's at stake."

Next spring, probably just in time for Easter 2006, the Rev. John Fanestil plans to come out with a book about Christianity and death. If Christians really believe in the meaning of the Easter message, Fanestil, senior pastor of La Mesa First United Methodist Church, argues they should be less fearful of death – and more trusting that it will be a spiritual communion with God.

As for Jesus' Resurrection, Fanestil says he can live with the mystery. "I believe in the Resurrection of Jesus, but I don't know what that looked like or felt like to Jesus' disciples," Fanestil said. "I can't answer the question of how it happened."

He suggests Christians push past the dissecting. "I think that trying to answer the 'how' questions will drive us crazy." Ultimately, he adds, "the question is, will we live our lives as those who trust that life will win out over death?"
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Jesus Christ
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Verily this I say unto you..... that if the Son of Man did not rise again on the third day, then what would hath been the point of My crucifixion.

For one cannot conquer death by remaining dead. And so as it was written, did I, the Messiah roll away the stone on that morning.

And oh my Dad, did I ever needeth a cup of coffee!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jesus Christ

Thank God there were 3 Starbucks within 5 kilometers.....

Comment

• BigBadBrian
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Re: The Resurrection: Fact or Fiction?

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
        The Resurrection. Did it really happen?
        Yes, it did.

But there are Christians who simply don't buy into the physical Resurrection account.
        Then they are really not Christians. Period.
        “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Re: Re: The Resurrection: Fact or Fiction?

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
          Yes, it did.

Prove it.

Comment

• rustoffa
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Carbon 14 will occasionally classify a week old newspaper as some sort of volcanic crust.

Comment

• YAH'WEH
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jesus Christ

Verily, My Son, that is why I createth the bean!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by YAH'WEH
                Verily, My Son, that is why I createth the bean!
                Did You createth the marijuana plant?. The poppy, coca leaf, shrooms?

always been curious about that

Or are they the "devil's" creation....

Comment

• YAH'WEH
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                  Did You createth the marijuana plant?. The poppy, coca leaf, shrooms?
                  Of course, I created All. Lucifer can create nothing.

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Faith is required.

I've always said, even if Jesus Christ appeared now, performing miracles in front of everyones eyes, most would still deny him being the Son of God.

It happened then, and it would happen now.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

There is actually just as much evidence that Jesus was not even crucified as that he was.

Not only that, he was not the only prophet to die and be resurrected on the third day.

It was a fairly common thing back in ancient times that if you were a prophet you had to be able to work miracles, etc., and there were many prophets, "Gods", etc. in the centuries BEFORE Christ that accomplished many of the same things attributed to Jee-ZUSSSssss-AHHH...

So Jesus is not unique, nor is he any more the son of God than anyone else is.

As a matter of fact, right now he is just a pile of dust somewhere in the Middle East.

Comment

• Little_Skittles
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Dec 2004

Re: Re: The Resurrection: Fact or Fiction?

Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Then they are really not Christians. Period.
                        You got it. This happend if you don't believe it get another religion you ain't christian. Says something in the bible about absolute blind faith, i think this applies to that.
                        Do you love me peter? Yes of course my lord. Then feed my sheep.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Re: Re: Re: The Resurrection: Fact or Fiction?

Originally posted by Little_Skittles
                          You got it. This happend if you don't believe it get another religion you ain't christian.
                          How "Christian" of you

Comment

• Little_Skittles
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Dec 2004

just statin facts.
                            Do you love me peter? Yes of course my lord. Then feed my sheep.

Comment

• Samsonite
                              Head Fluffer
                              • May 2004

I personally believe that his body was stolen...

Comment

Working...