PDA

View Full Version : Skinheads: racists shits or music lovers?

Hollywood Jesus
03-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Was talking to a kid the other day who believes that skinheads are a peace-loving bunch who are given a bad name by a select few.

She gets good grades and is relatively popular. She's actually pretty proud to be called a skinhead. "It's all about poor kids enjoying music and finding self confidence."

The I add: "...and beating the complete poop out of anyone who doesn't like mohawks, bad music and Guiness."

What do you all say?

Nickdfresh
03-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I've recently read that the Neo-Nazi's used Skinhead, racist "punk" to raise money for hate groups. But I think the article may have been addressing the 1990's more so than now.

That being said, there are different factions of Skinheads, ans certainly not all are Nazis.

Jesterstar
03-29-2005, 10:52 AM
It's like anything with a label. There are the good guys and the bad guys.

Hollywood Jesus
03-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
That being said, there are different factions of Skinheads, ans certainly not all are Nazis.

I guess that's my mental hurdle. I don't see the difference.

That makes it odd for me to see suburban Minneapolis kids proudly claiming the skinhead nation.

...especially after the Red Lake shootings in MN last week. How can a Native American kid be a neo-Nazi?

Jesterstar
03-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
I guess that's my mental hurdle. I don't see the difference.

That makes it odd for me to see suburban Minneapolis kids proudly claiming the skinhead nation.

...especially after the Red Lake shootings in MN last week. How can a Native American kid be a neo-Nazi?

It's a pretty simple concept. Skinheads..............Different groups differant beleifs. Not to complicated. Put a minimal amount of effort forward and I'm sure you can leap over that hurdle.

Hollywood Jesus
03-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Jesterstar
It's a pretty simple concept. Skinheads..............Different groups differant beleifs. Not to complicated. Put a minimal amount of effort forward and I'm sure you can leap over that hurdle.

I just think skinheads as a whole are a little more dangerous than, say, the suburban sophomore who dressed up like Madonna in 1984.

Skinheads are based on white-power political standing rather than any type of music. That, I believe, is the difference.

It's like saying, "Well, we only worship Hitler for his taste in sculpture so it's OK."

Jesterstar
03-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
I just think skinheads as a whole are a little more dangerous than, say, the suburban sophomore who dressed up like Madonna in 1984.

Skinheads are based on white-power political standing rather than any type of music. That, I believe, is the difference.

It's like saying, "Well, we only worship Hitler for his taste in sculpture so it's OK."

Skinheads foundation is a little deeper than that. I'm sure of that. If they started out as a white power movement then usually peacefull non racist groups wouldn't spawn from something like that. i think you need to read and learn more about it before you have a thought.

FORD
03-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey, let's not equate Guinness with racist hatred now! :gulp:

Not ALL skinheads are racists, but if they listen to bands like Skrewdriver or Blue Eyed Devils then it's definitely a problem. You can't listen to that kind of shit "just for the music" because the lyrics are complete hatred.

There are groups such as the SHARPS (skinheads against racial prejudice) who have adopted the look, but not the hatred, and actually fight against the Nazis, who they call "Boneheads".

The SHARPS in Portland tried to recruit me a few years back. I told them I was all in favor of their fight against racist assholes, but I liked my hair.

And size 15 Doc Martens ain't that easy to find either.

bueno bob
03-29-2005, 02:09 PM
From the skinheads I know personally (a few), the whole movement DID start out as a white supremacy thing, but it's diverged quite a bit from that over the years...mostly now it's about punk/hardcore/skate and what all...the skinheads I know enjoy fucking each other up (fistfights, and I've seen quite a few doozy's...), moshin' out and getting drunk or loaded, and that's about it.

And the skinheads I know fucking HATE racists and anyone that accuses them of being so simply because they're skinheads. Thusly, it's pretty safe to assume that the whole "skinhead" tag doesn't mean what it used to, that's pretty much for sure. In some cases, I'm sure it's still appropriate, but according to the ones I know, they're very much in the minority.