• Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Pope Gets Feeding Tube

SEARCH CWN: Advanced Search Browse

Pope gets feeding tube

Vatican, Mar. 30 (CWNews.com) - Doctors have installed a "nasal-gastric" tube to provide Pope John Paul II (bio - news) with nourishment, the Vatican has disclosed.

Ending a long silence about the Pontiff's health-- which had given rise to intense speculation among Italian journalists-- the Vatican press office revealed on March 30 that the Holy Father had been equipped with a feeding tube "to improve the caloric intake." In making the announcement that a feeding tube was already in place, the Vatican defused reports that the Pope would need to be hospitalized once again.

The Vatican bulletin on the Pope's health was issued shortly after an impromptu public appearance by John Paul II at midday. Although his regular Wednesday audiences have been suspended indefinitely, the Holy Father came to the window of his apartment to greet the crowd that had gathered in St. Peter's Square, hoping for such an appearance. The Pope gave his blessing, and tried to speak, but was only able to produce a guttural rasp.

Pope John Paul was reportedly having difficulty in swallowing, making it difficult for him to obtain proper nourishment. Informed sources at the Vatican say that the Pope is able to eat, but the feeding tube became necessary because he was not able to take in enough food to sustain his recovery after surgery.

Because of the symptoms of Parkinson's disease, which have stiffened the muscles of his throat and chest, the Pope has had difficulty in breathing, swallowing, and clearing his throat. The insertion of the feeding tube comes after the February operation in which doctors inserted a tube through his throat to ease his breathing. The nasal-gastic tube, a flexible hose running through his nose into his stomach, enables medical personnel to ensure that the Holy Father has proper nutrition.

Joaquin Navarro-Valls, the director of the Vatican press office, said that the Pontiff "continues his slow and progressive convalesence" He reported that the Pope spends "many hours each day" in a chair, and has been meeting with top Vatican officials.

The Vatican statement made a point of saying that the Pope's care was being provided by Vatican personnel, under the direction of the Pontiff's personal physician, Dr. Renato Buzzonetti. That statement seemed to be aimed at quelling rumors that the Pope would be hospitalized once again.

The Vatican bulletin on March 30 was the first formal statement about the Pope's health since March 10. Navarro-Valls himself had not made a public appearance since March 13, when he announced the Pope's return to the Vatican after 18 days in Gemelli Hospital. The silence from the Vatican had prompted Italian journalists to seek out unofficial sources, and during the past few days many papers had reported that the Pope would soon be hospitalized for the insertion of a feeding tube.

The Pope's failure to come to his window on the Monday after Easter had fueled fears about his health. On Wednesday, during his short public appearance, he appeared clearly to be in pain, but remained at the window for about 4 minutes, acknowledging cheers from about 4,000 people in St. Peter's Square.

After the crowd had recited the Lord's Prayer, the Pope gave his blessing. Then an aide, Msgr. Mieczyslaw Mokrzycki, came forward to confer with him, apparently asking whether the Pope wanted to address the crowd. When the Pontiff nodded, a microphone was brought forward, and John Paul II struggled but was unable to speak. Similarly, on Easter Sunday, the Holy Father had made a concerted effort to speak, to deliver at least a part of his Urbi et Orbi message aloud, but was unable to do so.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Pope Gets Feeding Tube

Laura Bush in Afghanistan

Quakes the Day after Christmas AND the Day after Easter

Jesus Landing on the Moon

Is it me, or is the world getting weirder by the day........

Comment

• vanzilla
      Veteran
      • Jul 2004

Yeh, next thing you know Rikk and Fab are going to become friends.
      Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• academic punk
        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Feeding Tubes Are the New Black.

Comment

• vanzilla
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

Or Joe Thunder will actually provide a link to his claims.
          Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Comment

• vanzilla
            Veteran
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
            Feeding Tubes Are the New Black.

Comment

• academic punk
              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

You laugh now, Vanzilla, but let's see if you're smiling when you're the last diva on the block to have a diamond encrusted Gucci feeding tube surgically implanted through your abdomen.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I thought the Pope had "abandoned himself to God"? :confused:
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  Would God forsake the Pope's morning Pineapple Smoothie?

Comment

• Jesterstar
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

The Pope is probably already dead. Seriously last public appearance I think I saw strings.
                    Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                      The Pope doesn't think starving himself to get there is a good idea.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                        The Pope doesn't think starving himself to get there is a good idea.
                        The Pope is supposed to be Heaven's #1 salesman. Or ambassador, if you prefer. Either term applies, but instead it looks like he's going out of his way to avoid going there. You would think a servant of God would be looking forward to it.

The Catholic Church is sending the wrong message about the Afterlife by what they're doing to prolong this man's suffering.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

FORD, if that's the case, then he should have committed suicide to get there faster when he became a priest. That line of thinking is full of holes.

I don't consider food and water extraordinary means to keep someone alive.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                            FORD, if that's the case, then he should have committed suicide to get there faster when he became a priest. That line of thinking is full of holes.

I don't consider food and water extraordinary means to keep someone alive.
                            I don't believe the Catholic church would teach that suicide would get you in to Heaven.

Now let's not compare JP to the veggie in Florida, because that's a ridiculous position. The Pope's brain is mostly functional at this point, I would assume, though if his breathing and swallowing abilities have been permanently damaged, then that would mean his brain IS deteriorating. And since he has Parkinsons disease, that is very likely the case.

I've lost 2 grandparents to that shit. Which means my mom is almost guaranteed to get it, and I have a good chance of going out that way myself if they don't find a cure for the shit, so you better believe I'm taking this one very seriously.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• academic punk
                              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

The Pope only has a nasal feeding tube: no intrusive surgery, plus he's still cognizant. he had a tracheatomy recently, making it difficult to swallow, plus he wasn't gettign the full nutrients he needed.

Schiavo is a different matter al together: she had what IS considered life-saving means b/c she is unable to feed herself. Why? Because she is brain-dead. And has been for years.

The Pope has said he would NOT want extraordinary measures to save his life, such as a respirator or a GASTRIC FEEDING TUBE.

Comment

Working...