PDA

View Full Version : NY Times in middle of Yanks-Sox feud

Bob_R
03-30-2005, 11:58 AM
The New York Times accused the New York Yankees for "acting like a superstar free agent" in their request for a new stadium, and the Bronx Bombers have responded saying the distinguished newspaper is simply worried about the potential effect on the Boston Red Sox, according to The New York Post.

The Times launched the first salvo in a Sunday editorial, saying the Yankees' request to build an $800 million replica of Yankee Stadium was "asking for the moon."

But as The Post points out, that article never mentions that the New York Times Co. is a part-owner of the Red Sox, the defending World Series champs.

A Yankee insider snickered, "The Gray Lady's Red Sox are showing."

What's more, the Yankees feel the Times has substantial interest in stopping George Steinbrenner and others from building a new, state-of-the-art facility.

"The better the Yankees do financially, the more money they'll have to pay the best players, and the more the Yankees will beat the Red Sox," the insider explained.

The new stadium reportedly would include plenty of new corporate boxes, which will generate even more revenue for team whose payroll currently exceeds $180 million.

But the Post says the Yankees are asking the city/state to spend $300 million on a new train station, an improved ferry terminal, and a parking garage.

Yankees president Randy Levine has challenged the facts of the editorial, and he also blasted the Times' hypocrisy for criticizing the Yankees' requests for infrastructure improvements without acknowledging the government subsidies The Times will enjoy at its new headquarters — which are being built.

"Isn't it amazing that the Times never mentions the tax enhancements it receives for its projects, including the new Times building, when they pass judgment on other transactions?" Levine asked.

With the first pitch between the Yankees and Red Sox looming Sunday night, this much is clear: the rivalry never rests!

Play ball!

Dave's PA Rental
03-30-2005, 08:12 PM
dude, we thought that it couldnt ever get more intense than the '70's...

Dave's PA Rental
03-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Let me just say that I was at Yankee Stadium in '99 against Detroit when the Yanks got their rings (my wife is a Yankee fan...well, a 'fashionable' YF, if you know what I mean...) and the only Yankee I ever applauded for was Joe Torre...it was his first day back from cancer therapy...

Dave's PA Rental
03-30-2005, 08:16 PM
by the way, I was just listening to Mike and the Mad Dog on 10/21 here...

http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/?b_start=220

Dave's PA Rental
03-30-2005, 08:18 PM
im going to the April 11th game where the Sox get their rings in front of the Yankees...

I will post pictures...

Bob_R
03-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
im going to the April 11th game where the Sox get their rings in front of the Yankees...

There's a first time for everything.

Dave's PA Rental
03-30-2005, 09:27 PM
(puts hands to throat...)

Dave's PA Rental
03-30-2005, 09:33 PM
I was watching SportCentury last night about Billy Martin...

I had no idea that he and Reggie hated each other so much...I knew that ther was animosity, but Billy Martin was almost suicidal when he resigned in 78...and Reggie was giddy about it! Crazy shit...

Dave's PA Rental
04-02-2005, 08:16 PM
what, no comment?

Dave's PA Rental
04-02-2005, 08:16 PM
less than 24 hours to go until they start it up again!

Bob_R
04-03-2005, 12:19 PM
what, no comment?

To what broham?

The hands on throat or Billy and Reggie? :D

Va Beach VH Fan
04-03-2005, 01:02 PM
what, no comment?

Maybe it's because outside of Baaaaston and New Yawk, people don't care as much about the Yankees/Sox as everyone THINKS they do...

Not me, of course.... ;)

Dave's PA Rental
04-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
To what broham?

The hands on throat or Billy and Reggie? :D

Billy and Reggie...

Bob_R
04-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Remember the '78 fight in the Fenway dugout? '78 was some wild season.

Roguesgirl
04-04-2005, 09:48 AM

I will post pictures...

A great day for Sox fans :D