PDA

View Full Version : Terry Schiavo Continuation Thread

tomballin
03-31-2005, 01:30 AM
High Court Rejects New Schiavo Request
ABC News - Midnight

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. Mar 30, 2005 — The U.S. Supreme Court refused to intervene in the Terri Schiavo case for the sixth time late Wednesday, taking less than two hours to reject her parents' request that the feeding tube for their brain-damaged daughter be reinserted.

The one-sentence ruling came hours after the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals resoundingly declined to intervene in the case. Justices did not explain their decision and there was no indication how they voted.

The Supreme Court's decision, on Schiavo's 13th day without food or water, was the latest in a string of losses in state and federal courts for her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, and the second time in a week the high court rejected the parents' claims.

Full Article
-------------
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=628035

tomballin
03-31-2005, 01:31 AM
President Bush Today at Lunch
March 30, 2005

"Anyone else hungry, I sure am. Feels like I haven't eaten in weeks"

Jesterstar
03-31-2005, 09:12 AM
That Bush has Balls

Nickdfresh
03-31-2005, 09:41 AM
I hear she's on the way out, close to death that is.

Nickdfresh
03-31-2005, 09:53 AM
She's dead! CNN now reporting.

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Nikk - is this on the air? I'm not seeing it on their homepage and I'm not around a tv?

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Fox news homepage reporting it. Thanks for the heads up!

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Terri Schiavo has died
Thursday, March 31, 2005 Posted: 10:07 AM EST (1507 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Terri Schiavo, the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman who became the centerpiece of a national right-to-die battle, died Thursday morning, nearly two weeks after doctors removed the feeding tube that had sustained her for more than a decade.

Brother Paul O'Donnell, a spokesman for Bob and Mary Schindler, Schiavo's parents, said the couple was with their daughter's body and praying.

Wednesday, the Schindlers lost what their lawyer described as their "last meaningful legal appeal" in their desperate battle to have their brain-damaged daughter's feeding tube reinserted.

The U.S. Supreme Court late Wednesday refused once again to hear an emergency appeal from the Schindlers.

Their lawyer, David Gibbs, heard the high court had rejected the appeal during a news conference outside the Pinellas Park, Florida, hospice where Schiavo was receiving care.

"It appears that that will be the last meaningful legal appeal unless something comes up," Gibbs had said. "Fundamentally, the decision of the Florida courts will remain unchanged and the federal courts have declined to get involved."

Thursday morning, O' Donnell said that Schiavo was in her final hours of life, and police have prohibited her blood relatives from spending time with her.

O'Donnell, one of the family's spiritual advisers, said that her parents and siblings were "begging to be at her bedside...but are being denied."

Michael Schiavo was Terri's guardian and controlled who may visit her and when.

Pasco-Pinellas Circuit Judge George Greer in Clearwater, Florida, ordered the feeding tube removed March 18 at Michael Schiavo's request. He has said that his wife wouldn't have wanted to live in her condition -- what Florida courts have deemed a "persistent vegetative state."

The parents felt otherwise and had sought to take guardianship of their daughter from her husband. Their bitter court battles began in 1998.

"I don't understand why Michael Schiavo at some point didn't walk away," Gibbs said.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, who has jurisdiction over Florida, Georgia and Alabama, and could have ruled on the petition on his own, referred the appeal to the entire Supreme Court at 10:40 p.m. Wednesday.

There was no breakdown of the vote, and the high court issued no explanation for its decision. The petition had been filed earlier in the night.

It was the second time in a week the high court refused to hear the case, and the sixth time since 2001.

The Schindlers "can know they have done everything possible under the law in letting government know that they wanted to fight for the life of their daughter," Gibbs said.

In his Supreme Court filing, Gibbs and other lawyers for the parents wrote that removing the tube represented "an unconstitutional deprivation of Terri Schiavo's constitutional right to life."

The Supreme Court's rejection came hours after the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia, rejected the parents' petition 9-2. That court denied three similar requests from the parents last week.

In a concurring opinion of the Atlanta court's latest ruling, Judge Stanley Birch said Congress "chose to overstep constitutional boundaries" by passing a law to force the Schiavo case into federal courts.

Judges Gerald Tjoflat and Charles Wilson dissented, with Tjoflat writing that the Schindlers deserved a hearing on the merits of their argument.

On March 21, three days after Schiavo's feeding tube was removed, Congress passed a bill transferring jurisdiction of the case from Florida state court to a U.S. District Court, for a federal judge to review. President Bush signed it into law the next day. But federal courts refused to overturn the state courts' decision.

Phil theStalker
03-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by vanzilla
Terri Schiavo has died
Thursday, March 31, 2005 Posted: 10:07 AM EST (1507 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Terri Schiavo, .
All you keyboard commandos I beat your sick voyeristic consent.

Check da post time.

Lock dis thread and go t2o my reality thread.

It's t2oo late.

:spank:

tomballin
03-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Typical, I turn on the TV to check out the Schiavo passing news and President Dumbass is holding a press conference on revamping intelligence that is on all major news channels. How convenient.

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/6007/bushfinger18fb.jpg

academic punk
03-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, I support that. I'd rather have had him focusing on national security all along, in the first place.

academic punk
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Poor woman. She's probably looking down right now and wondering why everyone she loved in her life have spent all these years (and all the rest of thier lives) in all these power struggles.

tomballin
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
What, and control our Mexican borders, ....never, it "just wouldn't be white"

academic punk
03-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by tomballin
What, and control our Mexican borders, ....never, it "just wouldn't be white"

valid.

Jesterstar
03-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Honestly her death is a serious injustice. The more I've read about it. The more I've seen. There was no reason to deny the parents access to her. There was no reason to deny water or food. The attention to this case is part of a evil agenda. I'm really upset about this now at this point. Because now it opens a door for much more brital death for many that may not be brain dead.

academic punk
03-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Jesterstar
Honestly her death is a serious injustice. The more I've read about it. The more I've seen. There was no reason to deny the parents access to her. There was no reason to deny water or food. The attention to this case is part of a evil agenda. I'm really upset about this now at this point. Because now it opens a door for much more brital death for many that may not be brain dead.

Well, look on the bright side: no one would care if someone tripped and pulled the plug on you, shitbag.

Really. Get lost. You're a blight on this site and a complete pain in the ass with no redemptive qualities.

tomballin
03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
Poor woman. She's probably looking down right now and wondering why everyone she loved in her life have spent all these years (and all the rest of thier lives) in all these power struggles.

Beyond doubt, this ordeal was the most disgusting and repulsive situation I have ever seen in my life. Only in America!

Both Terri's father and her husband, should be taken out and hung.

Jesterstar
03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Well, look on the bright side: no one would care if someone tripped and pulled the plug on you, shitbag.

Really. Get lost. You're a blight on this site and a complete pain in the ass with no redemptive qualities.

Way to stay on topic fag. Don't make this about me. In fact I won't let you.

Jesterstar
03-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Beyond doubt, this ordeal was the most disgusting and repulsive situation I have ever seen in my life. Only in America!

Both Terri's father and her husband, should be taken out and hung.

I listened to a interveiw with the father. It seemed to me he had the best intentions. But selling Terry related shit wasn't a smooth move. But in fairness he's had 15 years to condition himself mentally I guess to adjust to his daughters condition. But I guess it's matter of taste.

academic punk
03-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Reacting to her death, President Bush sent condolences to Schiavo's families. "I urge all those who honor Terri Schiavo to continue to work to build a culture of life where all Americans are welcomed and valued and protected."

Jesterstar
03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Reacting to her death, President Bush sent condolences to Schiavo's families. "I urge all those who honor Terri Schiavo to continue to work to build a culture of life where all Americans are welcomed and valued and protected."

By taking up that Cause he is taking away any credibility to that message. He knows that also.

tomballin
03-31-2005, 12:08 PM
I listened to a interveiw with the father. It seemed to me he had the best intentions. But selling Terry related shit wasn't a smooth move. But in fairness he's had 15 years to condition himself mentally I guess to adjust to his daughters condition. But I guess it's matter of taste.

The Schindler family lying about Terri's very severe Bulimia Nervosa, that caused her collaspe, was not a smooth move either, and was the reason the Florida Authorities and the Florida Crime Lab would not help them.

Gary Fox was on Greta Van Susteren's "On the Record" Fox TV show last night. I have waited for years for Gary Fox to finally do a public interview in the National media.

Gary Fox was the lead attorney, on the medical malpractice case for Terri, and he spelled out in detail the situation, and Terri's severe Bulimia, that got him initially a $6.8 million judgement for Terri, before the Judge reduced it 70% because of Terri's co-negligence in this situation.

Fox is a first class attorney, from a big time power law Firm in Miami. It was great, with Terri in her final death stage, that Fox could finally really talk about this case in the Nationally media.

Michael Schiavo is a worthless maggot that will go to hell, but Terri's father bears the loss of his daughter, on his shoulders, pure and simple!

Jesterstar
03-31-2005, 12:12 PM
The Schindler family lying about Terri's very severe Bulimia Nervosa, that caused her collaspe, was not a smooth move either, and was the reason the Florida Authorities and the Florida Crime Lab would not help them.

Gary Fox was on Greta Van Susteren's "On the Record" Fox TV show last night. I have waited for years for Gary Fox to finally do a public interview in the National media.

Gary Fox was the lead attorney, on the medical malpractice case for Terri, and he spelled out in detail the situation, and Terri's severe Bulimia, that got him initially a $6.8 million judgement for Terri, before the Judge reduced it 70% because of Terri's co-negligence in this situation.

Fox is a first class attorney, from a big time power law Firm in Miami. It was great, with Terri in her final death stage, that Fox could finally really talk about this case in the Nationally media.

Michael Schiavo is a worthless maggot that will go to hell, but Terri's father bears the loss of his daughter, on his shoulders, pure and simple!

I really can't disagree with any of that. But a idividual should have a chance to fix his mistakes. Who knows that force drove him to fib about the eating disorder..............But I think in the sum of the whole thing he did what he knew how to do.

tomballin
03-31-2005, 12:17 PM
I really can't disagree with any of that. But a idividual should have a chance to fix his mistakes. Who knows that force drove him to fib about the eating disorder..............But I think in the sum of the whole thing he did what he knew how to do.

The Schindler's could have had the best attorney's in the U.S., and millions in financial support from the religious right, if they had not been such liars about this mess, and this whole thing turned into a blood feud between Terri's father and Michael Schiavo.

That is this horrible case in a nut shell, and the reason Terri is now with the Lord.

Jesterstar
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
The Schindler's could have had the best attorney's in the U.S., and millions in financial support from the religious right, if they had not been such liars about this mess, and this whole thing turned into a blood feud between Terri's father and Michael Schiavo.

That is this horrible case in a nut shell, and the reason Terri is now with the Lord.

South Park summed it up last night.

They(the Pull tube People) are right for the wrong reasons. And We(The Leave the tube people) are WRong for the right reasons.

These types of debates and struggles don't belong in the national areana.

Satan
03-31-2005, 12:31 PM
By taking up that Cause he is taking away any credibility to that message. He knows that also.

The words "Bush" and "credibility" cannot be used in the same sentence.

BigBadBrian
03-31-2005, 12:58 PM
It'll be just a matter of time before the right to death crowd argues that Parkinson's patients and others like them that can't feed themselves are being a financial burden on our healthcare system and want to "do the right thing."

The government has a license to kill all the undesirables.

Adolf would be proud.

Satan
03-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Adolf would be proud.

And yet this is the government that you voted for. They had a pro death track record long before this.

Cathedral
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Satan
And yet this is the government that you voted for. They had a pro death track record long before this.

This applies to all forms of gvernment if the "truth" be told.
It's a side-effect to any form of poltiical power.

Trust no-one, especially politicians.............

Ally_Kat
03-31-2005, 02:57 PM
I pray the Lord forgives us and that her family can find comfort.

I'm also waiting to see how quickly this wedding happens.

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 03:07 PM

That's great W. If you feel that way Georgie, then why don't you support stem cell research that could actually help people in her condition?

If that's the case W - why do you favor put a cap on medical malpractice suit judgements - like the one that has been paying Shiavo's medical expenses?

FUCKING HYPOCRITICAL PIECE OF SHIT.

Cathedral
03-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Well, you can't expect the pandering to stop with elections just around the corner, can you?

I vote we call the Religious Right the Religious Right and stop calling them Christians.
They are definately NOT Christians in the sense of the word I think it applies to.

Maybe the word "Extremists" could be added to that as well, The Religious Right Extremists....Yeah, that works.

In any case, May God accept Terri and may she have regained all she had lost 15 years ago. May she become whole again in the presence of our Lord and Savior and walk in peace for eternity.
Terri has returned home.

God Bless and Amen.........

Warham
03-31-2005, 03:35 PM
It'll be just a matter of time before the right to death crowd argues that Parkinson's patients and others like them that can't feed themselves are being a financial burden on our healthcare system and want to "do the right thing."

Adolf would be proud.

Exactly.

I hope all those that wanted Terri pushing daisies are happy now.

The world is a much better place now that she's six foot under.

I suggest the feeding tube be removed from the Pope next. He's taking up valuable space.

Ally_Kat
03-31-2005, 04:11 PM
I suggest we go into hospitals and take all the patients off that saline drip they put them on.

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Exactly.

I suggest the feeding tube be removed from the Pope next. He's taking up valuable space.

Warham, here's the difference in the Pope and Terry Schiavo. The Pope hasn't been brain dead for 15 years. (Although his policies suggest otherwise...Don't use condoms? And way to handle all of those boys that were sexually molested there by your flock Johnny - really took control of that one!)

I'm not certain, but I'll bet the Vatican is well aware of his wishes once his health detoriates beyond the point of no return. No body is saying pull the Pope's feeding tube okay. No body is saying pull the plug on people with Parkinson's either.

Answer this - do you know for certain if Terry wanted to live or die? NO, you don't. Her husband did.

Her parents say he's lying. Who knows the answer? Fuck I don't know. But it's not the government's place - or the church's place to dictate how people live or die.

My point is that this is a family matter. Keep your religion, and your politics out of other people's business. Plain and simple.

And don't think for one second that your signature doesn't piss me off.

I'm sure you're going to throw some bible versus my way to back up your side - Whatever man. I don't believe in mythic story telling. Save your fingers. You're not going to change my mind, just like I'm not going to change yours. I just want you to realize that by letting her go her suffering has ended. Her 15 years of living in her own personal hell is over.

Listen man, I respect you. I know we don't see eye to eye on some things, but I don't intend for this to get personal. I think we're both bigger than that.

I just want to make myself clear on that while we debate this issue.

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I suggest we go into hospitals and take all the patients off that saline drip they put them on.

Are you retarded? See above post.

BigBadBrian
03-31-2005, 04:23 PM
That's great W. If you feel that way Georgie, then why don't you support stem cell research that could actually help people in her condition?

Uhh....how much stem cell research is benefitting these people that is being conducted without restraint in other countries? Let's ask Christopher Reeve. ;)

Warham
03-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Warham, here's the difference in the Pope and Terry Schiavo. The Pope hasn't been brain dead for 15 years. (Although his policies suggest otherwise...Don't use condoms? And way to handle all of those boys that were sexually molested there by your flock Johnny - really took control of that one!)

I'm not certain, but I'll bet the Vatican is well aware of his wishes once his health detoriates beyond the point of no return. No body is saying pull the Pope's feeding tube okay. No body is saying pull the plug on people with Parkinson's either.

Answer this - do you know for certain if Terry wanted to live or die? NO, you don't. Her husband did.

Her parents say he's lying. Who knows the answer? Fuck I don't know. But it's not the government's place - or the church's place to dictate how people live or die.

My point is that this is a family matter. Keep your religion, and your politics out of other people's business. Plain and simple.

And don't think for one second that your signature doesn't piss me off.

I'm sure you're going to throw some bible versus my way to back up your side - Whatever man. I don't believe in mythic story telling. Save your fingers. You're not going to change my mind, just like I'm not going to change yours. I just want you to realize that by letting her go her suffering has ended. Her 15 years of living in her own personal hell is over.

Listen man, I respect you. I know we don't see eye to eye on some things, but I don't intend for this to get personal. I think we're both bigger than that.

I just want to make myself clear on that while we debate this issue.

You believe what you wanna believe, and I'll believe what I wanna believe.

I'm glad you enjoy the signature. I was actually going to make another similar one when I have a few spare minutes.

BigBadBrian
03-31-2005, 04:26 PM

This is ENTIRELY about religion and politics. Realize that right now whether you like it or not....whehther people admit to it or not. :gulp:

Ally_Kat
03-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Are you retarded? See above post.

All I keep hearing is how people wouldn't want to live, how people like this or that should be allowed to die, how they are wastes of space. If so, where do we draw the line? Someone in another thread said something about Reeves and he should have been let to go. He was still alive.

Are we going to now pick who is valuable now?

Terry was not on life support. She was getting on a feeding tube. She starved to death. She did not die of a heart attack.

Warham
03-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Ally,

Now, now...There's only so much air to go around. Also, we need to get rid of the undesirables so that we can save money and not be inconvenienced with the burdens.

Satan
03-31-2005, 04:40 PM
I suggest a couple people here turn off the FAUX News and look at the REALITY of this case.

Terri Schiavo died 15 years ago. And this case is not comparable to the Pope or anybody on a saline drip.

Warham
03-31-2005, 04:49 PM
I consider death when the persons chest doesn't move.

I guess even the meaning of the word word death can be changed, much like the word marriage has in Massachusetts and California.

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
All I keep hearing is how people wouldn't want to live, how people like this or that should be allowed to die, how they are wastes of space. If so, where do we draw the line? Someone in another thread said something about Reeves and he should have been let to go. He was still alive.

Are we going to now pick who is valuable now?

Terry was not on life support. She was getting on a feeding tube. She starved to death. She did not die of a heart attack.

Ally, first of all - sorry about the retarded remark. That was childish.

My point is I don't think people are parading around hospitals telling doctors to pull the plug on sick people.

Show me one hospital, or even better a legitimate political forum (NOT SOME RADIO TALK SHOW OR MESSAGE BOARD), where there are people lining up to get rid of the "dead weight". It's not happening. It's all in your head.

No one is saying kill the termanilly ill. No one is saying pull the plug on people in vegative states. People who belive this is going on are over reacting and irrational. This is Flintstones Chewables for Kids.

What we are saying is let people live/die the way they want to live/die.

Terry's husband - her legal guardian - told him she didn't want to live like that. All he was trying to do is fullfil her wish. Why would he go to all of this trouble if he just wanted to get rid of her? Why would he turn down 10 million dollars to walk away from it - if he didn't believe he was doing the right thing? Do you honestly think he asked for all of this?

The moral of the story is get a living will. That is the only good thing that came out of this tragic story.

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 04:53 PM
I suggest a couple people here turn off the FAUX News and look at the REALITY of this case.

Terri Schiavo died 15 years ago. And this case is not comparable to the Pope or anybody on a saline drip.

Even the most evil of evil do-ers agrees with me.

Thanks Satan!

Warham
03-31-2005, 04:56 PM
I watch CBS news, so I must be getting the real story.

Warham
03-31-2005, 05:00 PM
From the Canada Free Press...

A hollow kind of victory
by Judi McLeod
Thursday, March 31, 2005

What kind of victory is it to keep the loving parents of a dying woman from her deathbed?

What brand of warped joy could possibly come from that?

What comfort, no matter how bitter the feud, could ever come from seeing the tears of parents?

What confidence can be taken in knowing in the heart that the death culture, as promoted by a lawyer who hears voices in his head, now takes a giant step forward?

What ease can we find in judges with more power than Congress?

What good can possibly come from a society that withholds from a brain-damaged woman food and water?

It was 9:03 a.m., Thursday, March 31, 2005 when Terry Schindler Schiavo slipped away–just two days after attorney George Felos told the world her death did not appear imminent to him.

In the end, it took 13 days for Terri to die.

According to Fr. Frank Pavone, approximately 10 minutes before Terri’s death, husband Michael Schiavo ordered her brother and sister out of her room.

Blood relatives were permitted back into the room just minutes after Terri’s death.

"Where is Michael?" was Fr. Pavone’s first question. Michael, who used a side door into the hospice the last two weeks, was nowhere in sight.

In the human emotion surrounding the March 2005 deathwatch, many forgot that this was the second time Terri Schiavo was taken off her feeding tube.

The entire argument of the right-to-die, ACLU contingent was that Terri was unaware of her surroundings, bereft of feelings of any kind.

For a group who claimed that a persistent vegetative state kept Terri from knowing anything, they purged her room of any visible sign of her religion the first time they removed her feeding tube.

Terri’s Catholic mother was forbidden to leave even the tiniest medal underneath her daughter’s pillow.

Holy pictures, rosary beads and medals somehow verbatim to the dignity in dying side, were purged from Terri’s room.

For all of their hype, the victory of Michael Schiavo and his death-is-beautiful attorney George Felos, is an empty victory of ashes.

In the end, their well-publicized by media mantra of dignity in dying came down to so many empty words.

There is no dignity in a brand of dying that leaves a disabled woman with no water and food.

And as certain as the sun will rise again in Florida, Schiavo, Felos and Company can’t take anything away from Terri Schindler Schiavo now.

As Alexander Solzhenitsyn once said: "When you have robbed a man of everything, he is no longer in your power. He is free again."

Canada Free Press founding editor Judi McLeod is an award-winning journalist with 25 years experience in the print media. A former Toronto Sun columnist, she also worked for the Kingston Whig Standard and the former Brampton Daily Times.

torontofreepress.com

FORD
03-31-2005, 05:01 PM
I watch CBS news, so I must be getting the real story.

Great. Bob ScheiffWHORE on CBS as well as Brian WHOREiams on NBC have already switched from Terrideathwatch to Popedeathwatch without missing a beat, so go feed your addiction.

Warham
03-31-2005, 05:02 PM
I get my news from Canada too, FORD. Read above.

I seem to remember you championing their press up there.

academic punk
03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, at least jesterstar is nowhere to be found.

FORD
03-31-2005, 05:08 PM
I get my news from Canada too, FORD. Read above.

I seem to remember you championing their press up there.

I just checked out that so called newspaper, and it's obvious that it's a lame attempt by the neocon shitbags to subvert the Canadian media like they have done down here. I also noticed that these people resemble "journalists" about as much as the FAUX bimbettes do.

academic punk
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
wasn't cbs news a bunch of liberal shitbags a couple months back when the 60 minutes story happened? you know the one, where the documents were all fucked-up?

just wondering...

Warham
03-31-2005, 05:16 PM
If it doesn't agree with FORD's view, it's the BCE that's involved.

It's the Toronto Free Press's website. I don't know how much more liberal you can be than if you live up there, and even they don't agree with the way we've handled this.

The world is definately going to end soon if Canada is the conservative side on this issue.

There's an article on that web site that's bashing Canada's conservative party, so it's not the BCE that's controlling anything up there.

vanzilla
03-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Uhh....how much stem cell research is benefitting these people that is being conducted without restraint in other countries? Let's ask Christopher Reeve. ;)

State your question in English and I'll get back to you.

BigBadBrian
03-31-2005, 05:19 PM
wasn't cbs news a bunch of liberal shitbags a couple months back when the 60 minutes story happened? you know the one, where the documents were all fucked-up?

just wondering...

Uh....duck! :rolleyes:

academic punk
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
Though warham does deserve credit for finally articulating where the difference is in our perceptions - people like me, vanzilla, and FORD apparently believe life ends when the brain isn't functioning. Warham (as well as Ally and BBB) believe it's a question of whther the heart is beating.

I'm not judging on either. Both are legitimate. The brain one seems to be more a question of "quality of life", as opposed to "Life".

Vanzilla basically articulated my beliefs on ALL of this. No need to restate them, just look above. Michael Schiavo will never live in peace - not because of a guilty conscious - he showed tremendous fortitude through all of this -but b/c of crazy extermeists who believe in the right to life, and will therefore hunt and kill him one day.

I hope she rests in peace. And I hope we all get living wills to avoid this garbage ever happening to any of us.

BigBadBrian
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
State your question in English and I'll get back to you.

Once you conduct your reasoning logically. :gulp:

Warham
03-31-2005, 05:24 PM
I don't think believing in a right to life is considered extreme, do you?

academic punk
03-31-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't think believing in a right to life is considered extreme, do you?

Of course I don't. None of us do.

I do belive in granting someone's expressed wishes if something like this were to befall them.

I would want it done for me.

I'm not saying it's a simple matter at all. It's complex. And emotional. Deeply. But it's a question of fulfilling someones desires than anything else.

Nickdfresh
03-31-2005, 06:29 PM

Why?

Nickdfresh
03-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Exactly.

No, we should wait until he's in a vegetative state for 15 years and has a cranium full of spinal fluid first.

Jerry Falwell, well they could insert some tubes I think.;)

Warham
03-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Oh, come on. His quality of life stinks now. Let's just remove the damn tube and get it over with. He might go another year or so tops, right? They are going above and beyond the call of duty by keeping him fed by that tube.

academic punk
03-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Warham -

Come on. The issue is a destoryed cerebral cortex versus spinabifida, or whatever. They are two totally seperate matters. No one has advocated knocking somone off because they need a root canal.

You've got a valid, sincere POV to express. I'd like to be able to hear it, but it's difficult over the sarcasm.

(not that I've got anything against sarcasm, Lord knows, but this issue seems to be bringing out the deepest in all of us, so...uh...yeah...)

FORD
03-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Apparently JP's been given his Last Rites already, so he won't be around much longer :(

Seshmeister
03-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Why are you unhappy about that?

Rejoice future children of Africa for there is now a chance you may not get born with AIDS in countries without enough food to feed you...

academic punk
03-31-2005, 08:02 PM
RIP to him as well.

But hopefully the next Pope (Paul Wolfowitz) will take a firmer stand against pedophiles in his midst.

Seshmeister
03-31-2005, 08:03 PM
It's normally an Italian isn't it?

Back to the world of the Godfather III I guess...

academic punk
03-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
It's normally an Italian isn't it?

Yeah, but you know, why not Wolfowitz? He was a ridulous choice to head up the World bank, and he's doing that...

Or maybe Bernard Kerik...? Hmmmm.....

FORD
03-31-2005, 08:12 PM
How about Richard Perle?

He knows as much about Catholicism as Wolfowitz knows about banking. (absolutely nothing)

diamondD
03-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey FORD, why didn't the same Supreme Court that you claim appointed Bush the 2000 election back him up and allow the tube to be reinserted???

FORD
03-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
Hey FORD, why didn't the same Supreme Court that you claim appointed Bush the 2000 election back him up and allow the tube to be reinserted???

Maybe Rehnquist was the deciding vote? And given his current condition, he was considering the very real possibility of death with dignity vs vegetableism.

Besides, this wasn't really Junior's fight. He flew in from the Pig Ranch to sign a bill as a favor to his little brother (the least he could do after 2 consecutive frauds in Florida)but other than that, pretty much stayed out of it. Which was good planning on the part of Rove, Karen Hughes, Uncle Dick, or whoever's turn it is to chimp-sit this week.

FORD
03-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Back to the Pope thing though.... there's been Italian popes, and a Polish pope. Yet one of the most Catholic countries on earth has gotten short changed.

It's time for an Irish Pope...

http://tinyurl.com/5y5a2

Pope Bono I

Seshmeister
03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Back to the Pope thing though.... there's been Italian popes, and a Polish pope. Yet one of the most Catholic countries on earth has gotten short changed.

Pope Bono I

You know how many priests qualified from seminary in Ireland last year?

My Irish catholic pal tells me one!

I think once scandals took away the 'fringe' benefits a lot of those people lost interest in a life of celibacy and uncomfortable clothes.

If the thing wasn't built on an outdated bizarre hierachy and you were looking for an Irish 'catholic' musician you would be much better with Geldof.

Geldof is a pragmatist that get's shit done.

Bono is all talk.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
03-31-2005, 08:49 PM

Bush executed dozens of mentally ill people while he was governor.

The hypocrisy of this fucking fake christianity is incredible.

Jesus would be spinning in his grave/cross/on the spot.

Cheers!

:gulp:

FORD
03-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Meanwhile, Jesse Jackson is said to be en route to the Vatican at the moment. When Rev. Jackson was asked about John Paul's chances, his only statement was "Keep Pope Alive!!"

Steve Savicki
03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Huh, wha? Just noticed my original thread was closed... :confused:

tomballin
03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Meanwhile, Jesse Jackson is said to be en route to the Vatican at the moment. When Rev. Jackson was asked about John Paul's chances, his only statement was "Keep Pope Alive!!"

I am sorry, but what a whore (Jackson). His only claim to fame was standing next to M.L. King when he got shot, and now he thinks he is a God anointed Saint, never mind all HIS personally baggage.

Ally_Kat
03-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Why are you unhappy about that?

Rejoice future children of Africa for there is now a chance you may not get born with AIDS in countries without enough food to feed you...

John Paul II didn't create the Church's current stance on birth control, so his death will do nothing about okaying condums.

Ally_Kat
03-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Apparently JP's been given his Last Rites already, so he won't be around much longer :(

He's gotten that several times before. I still think he'll hold out at least another month.

Ally_Kat
03-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Ally, first of all - sorry about the retarded remark. That was childish.

My point is I don't think people are parading around hospitals telling doctors to pull the plug on sick people.

Show me one hospital, or even better a legitimate political forum (NOT SOME RADIO TALK SHOW OR MESSAGE BOARD), where there are people lining up to get rid of the "dead weight". It's not happening. It's all in your head.

No one is saying kill the termanilly ill. No one is saying pull the plug on people in vegative states. People who belive this is going on are over reacting and irrational. This is Flintstones Chewables for Kids.

What we are saying is let people live/die the way they want to live/die.

Terry's husband - her legal guardian - told him she didn't want to live like that. All he was trying to do is fullfil her wish. Why would he go to all of this trouble if he just wanted to get rid of her? Why would he turn down 10 million dollars to walk away from it - if he didn't believe he was doing the right thing? Do you honestly think he asked for all of this?

The moral of the story is get a living will. That is the only good thing that came out of this tragic story.

I never said they were, but why not? We have openned up the door to lead to such things.

She wasn't on life support. She could breathe all on her own. She was being fed, that was it. How many people who "died" of heart attacks do you know that stay alive 15 years after?

You have people running around in Terry threads in non posting what I said. I don't have enough time to run around the interweb to various political message boards to see what the consensus is. Maybe you do; All I can tell you what I see here and what I hear in my daily travels.

Why didn't he accept the money? Look out in the news for his wedding. That's why. And no, that's not the media making him to be an ass. He has this chick with a ring on her finger and kids. What I want to know is why didn't he just sign guardianship over ot her parents, they sign divorce papers, he can go on with his life?

I deffy believe there is more to this than has been told.

tomballin
03-31-2005, 11:31 PM
It will be interesting if in fact a full-blown autopsy is done on Terri, or just a superficial white wash job, mostly centered on assessing her brain function.

At least Jeb Bush is the ultimate person over the coroner’s performing the autopsy, not that legally blind, POS Probate Judge Greer. Maybe we can finally get to the truths in this whole mess, after seven years of mud slinging.

I like how POS Michael Schiavo gave permission for the autopsy for PR purposes. The State didn’t need his permission to perform a full autopsy, by law, and he knew it.

Michael Schiavo threw the gauntlet down, let’s see if the State of Florida can finally do something right in this nightmare.

Nickdfresh
03-31-2005, 11:49 PM

BONO is actually an Anglican. Larry Mullen Jnr. is the only Catholic member of U2. Of course, none them actually practise these versions of Christianity.

Nickdfresh
03-31-2005, 11:54 PM
It will be interesting if in fact a full-blown autopsy is done on Terri, or just a superficial white wash job, mostly centered on assessing her brain function.

At least Jeb Bush is the ultimate person over the coroner’s performing the autopsy, not that legally blind, POS Probate Judge Greer. Maybe we can finally get to the truths in this whole mess, after seven years of mud slinging.

I like how POS Michael Schiavo gave permission for the autopsy for PR purposes. The State didn’t need his permission to perform a full autopsy, by law, and he knew it.

Michael Schiavo threw the gauntlet down, let’s see if the State of Florida can finally do something right in this nightmare.

It's tough to have brain function when it's mostly spinal fluid, other than the medulla which is key to breathing, Ally.;)

I think the cat scan pretty much confirmed that one.

Cathedral
04-01-2005, 12:54 AM
What do they use in a feeding tube to feed people?
Is it just vitamin suppliments or actual food liquified?

My wife did great on her Berium Swallow Test and pretty much won't be seeing one all that soon, but it is a definate issue that will be monitored closely.
She chokes a hell of a lot even when drinking. the fluid keeps entering the airway and there is some difficulty chewing food.
She sometimes swallows before she wants to and her body has become way too frail to do a hymlic on without breaking some ribs.

I am not quite sure exactly what i have to look forward to.

FORD
04-01-2005, 02:16 AM
**POPEWATCH UPDATE**

Apparently JP has suffered some sort of "heart failure" and is described as being in "grave condition". He is refusing hospitilization.

Doubtful he'll make it through the night.....

Ally_Kat
04-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Man, I can see the April Fools jokes now.

"The Pope died."

"HAHAHA April Fools."

"No, for real. Turn on the TV."

"Stop playing."

"Do I look like I'm playing?"

"Oh my..."

"Dude! Got you..."

"Damn you."

"April Fools. He's really dead."

ODShowtime
04-01-2005, 08:50 PM
The important thing is that these cock-sucking religious-conservative bullies finally lost a fight. They finally lost one, and it wasn't even that important. :(

Warham
04-01-2005, 08:56 PM
The fight's not over yet.

Her life is over, but IT ain't over yet.

academic punk
04-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
The important thing is that these cock-sucking religious-conservative bullies finally lost a fight. They finally lost one, and it wasn't even that important. :(

No, this played out exactly as they knew it would. As Warham says, this is only the beginning. We're being sucker-punched even as we sit here.