PDA

View Full Version : Pat Buchanan doused with salad dressing

Figs
04-01-2005, 01:34 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/01/buchanan.attacked.ap/index.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

KALAMAZOO, Michigan (AP) -- Commentator and former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan cut short an appearance after an opponent of his conservative views doused him with salad dressing.

"Stop the bigotry!" the demonstrator shouted as he hurled the liquid Thursday night during the program at Western Michigan University. The incident came just two days after another noted conservative, William Kristol, was struck by a pie during an appearance at a college in Indiana.

After he was hit, Buchanan cut short his question-and-answer session with the audience, saying, "Thank you all for coming, but I'm going to have to get my hair washed."

The demonstrator, identified by authorities as a 24-year-old student at Kalamazoo Valley Community College, was arrested and faces a misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace. He was released on a $100 cash bond, pending his April 14 arraignment.

"He could have faced a felony assault charge, but Pat Buchanan decided to not press that charge," university spokesman Matt Kurz said.

Buchanan's visit had evoked controversy on campus because it fell on the birthday of the late Mexican-American labor leader Cesar Chavez. Buchanan favors tighter controls on immigration.

Kristol, editor of the influential conservative magazine The Weekly Standard and former chief of staff to Vice President Quayle, was splattered by a student during a speech Tuesday at Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana.

Members of the audience at the Quaker college jeered the student, then applauded as Kristol wiped the pie from his face and said, "Just let me finish this point." Kristol then completed his speech and took questions from the audience.

The student, who was not immediately identified, was suspended and could face expulsion following a disciplinary review, Earlham Provost Len Clark said Wednesday.

Clark also issued a written apology complimenting Kristol for his "graciousness."

Roy Munson
04-01-2005, 01:38 PM
WTF is it with these communist liberal assholes and their food-throwing?

GROW THE FUCK UP ALREADY.

Steve Savicki
04-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Better that than having Buchy preach.
Not the appropriate way to protest, but congrats to the dressing tosser.
Better to wash up than to spread bigotry.

BigBadBrian
04-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Better that than having Buchy preach.
Not the appropriate way to protest, but congrats to the dressing tosser.
Better to wash up than to spread bigotry.

So much for Free Speech and the conservative point of view, huh Steve? :rolleyes:

DrMaddVibe
04-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah, we all know that Klansman Byrd NEVER spread any bigotry!

And that nice ranting man...Chairman Dean...he never used the race card either!

STFU!

FORD
04-01-2005, 02:01 PM
In all fairness, Pat has spoken out against the neocon shitbag agenda, as well as the reckless spending of the BCE, so he probably didn't deserve the Bleu Cheese Baptism.

Now Kristol & Ann the Man, that's entirely different ;)

BigBadBrian
04-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Now Kristol & Ann the Man, that's entirely different ;)

Yes, by all means, let's squash their point of view..... :rolleyes:

FORD
04-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Yes, by all means, let's squash their point of view..... :rolleyes:

That's not squashing their point of view, it's responding to their sickening, treasonous point of view.

Big Train
04-01-2005, 02:50 PM
What's funny is that on one hand you have Ford and others whining about people not being allowed in to see conservative people speak. Then you have childish shit like this happening routinely.

Is that the best of Democrat recourse? At least throw some Heinz so that it is somewhat related.

These fucking liberal babies who can't take a differing point of view? What happened to diversity? Non-violence? Respect for other dissenting views (shit people whine about on college campuses day after day...). I guess diversity is when we all agree on a whacked out "compromise". Violence (destruction of property-clothing in this case-is ok if what they say is "vile" to you).

Shit like this is a BIG reason you can't take liberals seriously. They can't grow up and come to the table like grown-ups and have a civil discussion.

FORD
04-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
What's funny is that on one hand you have Ford and others whining about people not being allowed in to see conservative people speak. Then you have childish shit like this happening routinely.

Is that the best of Democrat recourse? At least throw some Heinz so that it is somewhat related.

These fucking liberal babies who can't take a differing point of view? What happened to diversity? Non-violence? Respect for other dissenting views (shit people whine about on college campuses day after day...). I guess diversity is when we all agree on a whacked out "compromise". Violence (destruction of property-clothing in this case-is ok if what they say is "vile" to you).

Shit like this is a BIG reason you can't take liberals seriously. They can't grow up and come to the table like grown-ups and have a civil discussion.

A civil discussion with Ann The Man Coulter? A civil discussion with someone on record as saying "liberals should be killed too"?

Or a rational discussion with the frontman for the irrational agenda currently tearing the fucking planet apart?

Now Buchanan - there's a guy I could have a rational argument with. I miss the OLD Crossfire show where that was the way things were done.

fanofdave
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
buchanan would probably be better with
a balsamic vinegrette dressing...

Big Train
04-01-2005, 03:52 PM
So salad dressing is the anwser?

Warham
04-01-2005, 03:58 PM

Actually you can't take liberals seriously just because of what they stand for, let alone what brand of salad dressing they use.

Guitar Shark
04-01-2005, 04:08 PM

I agree, to a point. Stunts like this just give more ammunition to conservatives who try to limit access. "Free speech zones" which are miles away from the action, pre-screened audiences sympathetic to the views of the presenters, etc., are all by-products of this sort of silliness. Or at least they can use these incidents as justification for them.

Stupid strategy.

Cathedral
04-01-2005, 04:16 PM
In my opinion, it's time for the Liberals and Conservatives to sit things out for awhile.
It's pretty sad that i sit here today not trusting any government we have or will have from here on out.

Anymore, politicians in general do not deserve nor have they earned any respect from me.
They damn sure aren't going to see my vote anymore, what's a guy to do in this situation?

I'm without a representative worth a damn.........

Big Train
04-01-2005, 05:14 PM
You could always go "indie"-just make sure you the balls to actually VOTE for them on election day. That's what disillusioned me from third parties, so many flakes....

ODShowtime
04-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I agree, to a point. Stunts like this just give more ammunition to conservatives who try to limit access. "Free speech zones" which are miles away from the action, pre-screened audiences sympathetic to the views of the presenters, etc., are all by-products of this sort of silliness. Or at least they can use these incidents as justification for them.

Stupid strategy.

Somehow I don't think this guy was thinking long-term strategy. He would have at least thrown rotten eggs or something.

ODShowtime
04-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
In my opinion, it's time for the Liberals and Conservatives to sit things out for awhile.
It's pretty sad that i sit here today not trusting any government we have or will have from here on out.

Anymore, politicians in general do not deserve nor have they earned any respect from me.
They damn sure aren't going to see my vote anymore, what's a guy to do in this situation?

I'm without a representative worth a damn.........

It's funny that people like you and I that come from such different perspectives can arrive at the same conclusion.

academic punk
04-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Knock it the fuck off with the sweeping generalisations. It was a 24 year old prankster. TWENTY-FOUR. You didn't do goofy shit when you were that age? I'm not condoning it, but it would be far different if it were a gorup of thirty-five year olds working in concert.

The kid probably went back to his dorm and high-fived his roommate and enjoyed a bonghit or two. I wouldn't put any relation to him and more serious minded, mature Democrats.

...though I must say I'm enjoying how badly you neocons are getting your panties in a bunch b/c a liberal tossed Pat Buchanan's salad...

Warham
04-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I never did that kind of stuff at 24.

If you are still a kid at 24, then we should raise the legal drinking age to 25.

academic punk
04-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, he's gonna have a misdemeanor on his record, so I think he'll think twice before he pulls anymore pranks...

BTW - Buchanan was a complete gentleman to not press the felony charges. Very generous and extremely understanding.

ODShowtime
04-01-2005, 08:46 PM
the only reason I stopped pulling shit like that was because gettin' fucked up was more fun...

FORD
04-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Well, he's gonna have a misdemeanor on his record, so I think he'll think twice before he pulls anymore pranks...

BTW - Buchanan was a complete gentleman to not press the felony charges. Very generous and extremely understanding.

Shit, Pat probably did worse things when he was 24! I seem to remember stories about him being quite the partier in college, which were used against him by team BCE in the Republican primaries in previous elections.

Big Train
04-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Sweeping generalizations? If this was an isolated incident perhaps. C,mon Punk you KNOW that ain't the case.

So he is a 24 year old fuckhead and there are tons more like him. You gotta pick a path, he is either a 24 year old ADULT who wants to be politically involved or he is a 24 year old CHILD who needs to change his huggies and grow up. I'm fine with either generalization.

However, they are learning and being encouraged by much older fuckheads who never learned either. The kind of Neo-Hippie, who revels in being "anti establishment", yet is amazingly so in their own personal lives. Those who missed the revolution and "sold out" who are now trying to get back involved. They are the parents of these 24 year old fuckheads.

Much generalizations but like a lot of stereotypes, they are at least half accurate.

Nickdfresh
04-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Actually you can't take liberals seriously just because of what they stand for, let alone what brand of salad dressing they use.

So, just what do "liberals" stand for Warham?

Nickdfresh
04-02-2005, 02:45 AM
I definately think the wrong Conservative became "tossed salad" today. FORD pointed out some good reasons to respect PAT.

academic punk
04-02-2005, 01:49 PM
So he is a 24 year old fuckhead and there are tons more like him. You gotta pick a path, he is either a 24 year old ADULT who wants to be politically involved or he is a 24 year old CHILD who needs to change his huggies and grow up. I'm fine with either generalization.

However, they are learning and being encouraged by much older fuckheads who never learned either. The kind of Neo-Hippie, who revels in being "anti establishment", yet is amazingly so in their own personal lives. Those who missed the revolution and "sold out" who are now trying to get back involved. They are the parents of these 24 year old fuckheads.

Much generalizations but like a lot of stereotypes, they are at least half accurate.

well, there you have it. The kid isn't trying to enter a serious political arena at all, AT BEST he's making an homage to the Yippies and Abbie Hoffman.

Which, as i said, I doubt is the case. I assume he went back home and his buddies treated him to a couple of bonghits while they all watched another Friends re-run.

I doubt the guy at this stage of his life has any real political convictions at all.

(And, hey, maybe he's a Bush supporter who is upset with how Buchanan has taken Bush to task with his latest book and recent talk-show appearances.)

Big Train
04-03-2005, 01:47 AM
And that's the point. You DON'T know that he is that at all...you assume he is. I assume the opposite that he is a crazed numbnut who thinks like Ford+has increasingly anti-social/destructive tendencies.

If this were happening to Dems/Libs, they would be "too afraid to speak on campuses, for fear of their safety from right wing whackos..".

I know if I was speaking and people did that to me, I could not guarentee that I would not react violently and I am amazed none of the kids have been seriously hurt. The speakers should not have to be concerned about whether or not they are going to be attacked in a venue not known for their viewpoints.

The kid deserves expulsion and a sucker punch from Pat (although I don't know how strong his haymakers are anymore...). I hope they do it to the Nuge someday, so he can exercise his 2nd amendment and self-defense rights....

Warham
04-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
So, just what do "liberals" stand for Warham?

I don't have to tell you that, Nick.

Nickdfresh
04-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't have to tell you that, Nick.

Just testing your knowledge, since you don't seem to have much.;)

Warham
04-03-2005, 02:26 PM
You know that I know what liberals stand for.

ODShowtime
04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
You know that I know what liberals stand for.

sex and drugs BI-ATCH! :p

Nickdfresh
04-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
sex and drugs BI-ATCH! :p

You forgot pussy.

Nitro Express
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
College campuses have degenerated into the biggest waste of time and a haven for screw balls we should have just let the rioting hippies burn the things to the ground in the 1960's.

40 years of higher education and all it's given us in general is more lawyers, more political scientists, more buerocrats, and more proffessors. The people who were the real innovators and started new industries in the last 40 years were college dropouts.