PDA

View Full Version : New Schiavo Zogby Poll: 79% think She Should Have Been Fed

Warham
04-04-2005, 05:48 PM
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER
By Michael J. Gaynor
MichNews.com
Apr 4, 2005

Trust the good sense of the American people.

IF they have the facts.

It's obvious that the major media favors "same sex marriage."

But the voters rejected it in state after state.

Even Oregon opposed, by 57%.

Elsewhere, the opposition was greater, often much greater.

Polls leading up to the tragic, painful and premature death of Terri Schiavo made it appear that Americans had formed a consensus in favor of ending Terri's life.

The major media hammered Tom Delay and the Republicans for supporting Terri Schiavo's parents and made Michael Schiavo look like a faithful husband keeping a promise and his lawyer George Felos look reasonable instead of diabolical.

Only to be flabbergasted when the Reverend Jesse Jackson announced that he too supported them.

When Tom DeLay and Reverend Jackson are on the same side, think very carefully before taking the other side.

But, death inexorably follows starvation and dehydration and after thirteen days judicial tyranny claimed its first victim of judicially ordered euthanasia by omission.

Or, in common parlance, judicial murder.

NOW, a Zogby poll shows the prevailing sentiment among Americans was in favor of NOT starving and dehydrating Terri to death and protecting the lives of other disabled patients.

Loaded questions in prior polls created a false impression when Terri's life hung in the balance.

The Zogby poll found that, if a person becomes incapacitated and has not expressed their preference for medical treatment, 43 percent supported a presumption that the person wanted to receive food and water through a tube.

Only 30 percent disagreed.

Zogby also asked:

"If a disabled person is not terminally ill, not in a coma, and not being kept alive on life support, and they have no written directive, should or should they not be denied food and water?

79 percent said should not.

9 percent said should.

Those members of Congress who wanted federal court de novo review did what the voters wanted as well as what was right.

Zogby asked:

"When there is conflicting evidence on whether or not a patient would want to be on a feeding tube, should elected officials order that a feeding tube be removed or should they order that it remain in place?"

18 percent said the feeding tube should be removed.

42 percent said it should remain in place.

The Zogby poll also found that 49 percent of Americans believe there should be exceptions to the right of a spouse to act as a guardian for an incapacitated spouse.

39 percent opposed exceptions.

When asked directly about Terri's case and told her estranged husband Michael "has had a girlfriend for 10 years and has two children with her" 56 percent of Americans believed guardianship should have been turned over to Terri's parents.

37 percent disagreed.

If the American people learn all the facts, it will be judicial tyrants instead of the disabled who will have good reason to fear.

bueno bob
04-04-2005, 05:56 PM
On the same sex marriage bit, I was AMAZED it failed here...we have one of the most liberal minded, gay friendly cities in the entire U.S. (Portland), believe it or not...but, as was the case with Kerry, the majority that live outside of it in our rural section defeated it soundly.

Personally, I didn't really care either way. Tradition is nice, but I'm not gay and have no desire to marry a man, so...whichever, I didn't mind one way or the other...had no vested interest in it.

I think the thing we'll learn from Terri's case is that it's definitely a hot topic issue and we'll be debating it for quite some time now.

Sorry if I threw your thread off topic, War :)

Warham
04-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Not at all, Bob.

Just trying to show that those major networks usually do polls with skewed questions.

kentuckyklira
04-04-2005, 06:30 PM
How many think her husband should have banged her??

DrMaddVibe
04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Like I stated many times before...Polls are flawed. They're easily manipulated and manipulate the easy.