• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • academic punk
    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Interview with the President of Infinity Broadcasting Re: Dave as DJ

I've excerpted the relevant portions...

What examples of new thinking are you seeing within your own company?

There are examples on great radio stations everyday of people who know how to execute the nuts and bolts of a format and serve their market, while at the same time, surprising people. I’m up in Boston because we decided to put David Lee Roth on the radio at WZLX, our classic rock station here, for a week. The station has kind of turned the town on its ear with cab drivers, waiters and waitresses and employees of Barnes & Noble talking about this amazing guy on the radio. It’s an example of just being able to surprise and entertain your listener without necessarily giving them the exact same menu everyday. We have a lot of people that do that really well and I’m encouraging our program directors to share the best ideas through our organized format VP world. We’re able to do a lot of very efficient communicating in our company that moves good ideas around very quickly.

How did the David Lee Roth thing come about?

We have a great program director named Jack Silver who is the PD of KSLX in Los Angeles. He also recently was appointed OM of K-Earth and, in addition to those hats, he is our vice president of FM Talk. Jack put David Lee Roth on a Friday night for three hours in Los Angeles and we were so taken by that performance that we created a stunt here in Boston to give classic rock listeners the opportunity to hear him all week long. The best ideas move and the best ideas win.

Could this blossom into a full-time arrangement?

The proof is in the execution and ultimately the response from listeners.

• rustoffa
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Syndication and devastation!

Kick-ass stuff AP!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

I gave him mad props for insisting no VH questions while he was in Boston, to be honest with you....

If he hadn't, he knew and the station knew that there would be nothing but that topic, and while to us that's GREAT subject matter, that week gave him the opportunity to showcase how articulate and hilarious he can be on a constant basis, WITHOUT talking at all about VH...

Now if he were to get an Infinity gig, which IMHO should be a formality, I bet he would open up, just a little, to let it be known that the time has come to mend fences and kick the rock world's ass once again....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• spmusicplyr
        Foot Soldier
        • May 2004

When was dave on the radio for a friday night in LA??

I live here...i remember he was on arrow93 about 2 years ago...thats all i know of.

about jack silver...i am an avid listener of 97.1 and i dont remember anything about DLR on friday night
        Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• BlimpyCHIMP™
          Banned
          • May 2004

Originally posted by spmusicplyr
          i am an avid listener of 97.1 and i dont remember anything about DLR on friday night
          I DONT LISTEN TO NOBODY AND I DONT EVEN REMEMBER ANYTHING ABOUT LAST NITE

BC!!
          SWAT I TOLE THEM COPS

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Dave's a natural at this kind of gig.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Perhaps Infinity is looking ahead to when they have to fill Stern's syndicated slot?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• scottydabodi
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

Dave on the air is the only reason I'd turn on the radio... well, except for Eddie Trunk's Friday Night Rocks...
                If you listen to fools
                The Mob Rules

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                  Perhaps Infinity is looking ahead to when they have to fill Stern's syndicated slot?
                  That's the speculation FORD....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• rustoffa
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

They should give him a test-run on that 'Loveline' show.

He and Carolla(sp?) would provide alot of laughter.

"Yeah...umm, my girlfriend doesn't like going down on me.
                    What should I do?"

Dave: "Move to the East Coast!"

Comment

• tomballin
                      Commando
                      • Dec 2004

Great post, thanks AP!

Comment

• BrownSound1
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Mar 2003

Dave doing the DJ bit is all fine and dandy, and apparently he did it with flying colors. However, is there anyone here who actually wants to see Dave become a DJ? I sure as hell don't...I'd much rather him be out making music.

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

I personally dont want Dave to become a permanent DJ !

We dont get your radio stations over this side of the globe :p

Keep Rockin Dave !
                          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• tomballin
                            Commando
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                            Dave doing the DJ bit is all fine and dandy, and apparently he did it with flying colors. However, is there anyone here who actually wants to see Dave become a DJ? I sure as hell don't...I'd much rather him be out making music.
                            Thanks for saying this BrownSound1. Agree 100%! I would have said it, but I’m on a “R.A. - Start No Shite” sabbatical, lol.

But ya know, let’s look at the bigger picture. DLR is extremely intelligent and a master “chess player”.

Look how he handled the 04 SpamBoys Tour. Always took the high road, stayed visible in the press on a monthly basis, and let the Tour and the Sister’s drown publicly in their own shite, all the while, they totally bad mouthed Dave in the press. Ya know the public is not stupid, nor hangs out at VHLinks.

EVH makes a total ass of himself, drunk in that Boston restaurant, mid-June 04. Dave blows away ½ million attendees, 18.5 million TV viewers, and gets a huge front page spread, in the Boston Herald, the next day, when he did the Boston Pops, July 4th gig. BTW, that was no accident Steven Tyler backed out of that Boston Pops gig. He did it for Diamond, and is a Dave friend and supporter.

Lookit, imo, there is no way a CVH Reunion can happen before 07-08, with all the current lawsuits from the 04 VH Tour, AND promoters have lost money on the Sister’s shite and their Tours, ‘95, ‘98, and ‘04. NO current National promoter would even return EVH/AVH phone calls on another Tour presently. I mean, Fuhgeddaboudit!

Plus forget another Tour if EVH doesn’t go through full-blown rehab and get his very serious addiction eradicated. I mean the guy is un-insurable for a Tour, presently.

However, major corporate CEO’s only care about one thing, MONEY. It was no accident the head brass for Infinity, just happened to be in Boston, and just happened to make a public statement about DLR WZLX radio gig. Yeah, the Stern’s gig replacement situation is valid, imo, Howard likes DLR, and DLR could do a better job than that whinny overpaid pussy, imo.

But with the shake up in the 05 concert promotion business, CCC losing over $4 billion last year consolidated, $19 billion consolidated for the last three years, imo, Infinity is looking at market entry and development opinions.

Plus, Dave lives in New York City now. Why is all his good opportunities happening in Boston, instead of NYC? DLR has really been working the Robin Leach style crowd, the last three years, maybe he has developed some major heavy weight connections in Boston?

Just my thoughts, what does everyone else think?

Roth On

Comment

• Viking
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

In the short term, it would blast his public profile - and his career - through the roof. With Stern, Ron & Fez, and several other 'B' players jumping over to XM to get around the Federal Censorship Commission, it's going to leave a vacuum in the InfinityClearChannel talent pool. Although I'm not sure if Dave could endure the grind of getting up at 3 a.m. to do a morning drive show.......:p
                              Last edited by Viking; 04-08-2005, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...