PDA

View Full Version : Hunter thompson proves there CAN be dignity in death!

academic punk
04-05-2005, 08:53 PM
or something....

Thompson's ashes to be shot from cannon
'He loved explosions'

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/04/05/hunter.thompson.ap/index.html

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Hunter S. Thompson's ashes will be blasted from a cannon mounted inside a 53-foot-high (16.15 meter-high) sculpture of the journalist's "gonzo fist" emblem, his wife said Tuesday.

The cannon shot, planned sometime in August on the grounds of his Aspen-area home, will fulfill the writer's long-cherished wish.

"It's expensive, but worth every penny," Anita Thompson said. "I'd like to have several explosions. He loved explosions."

Thompson, 67, shot himself in the head on February 20 after a long and flamboyant career that produced such new journalism classics as "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and cast his image as a hard-charging, drug-crazed daredevil.

The cannon shot will be part of a larger public celebration of Thompson's life. Some details remain to be worked out, including the exact date, what kind of cannon will be used and the specifics of the gonzo fist, his wife said.

She said the gonzo fist will be mounted on a 100-foot pillar, making the monument 153 feet (46.63 meters) high. It will resemble Thompson's personal symbol, a fist on an upthrust forearm, sometimes with "Gonzo" emblazoned across it.

Anita Thompson has said the monument will be a permanent fixture on the writer's 100-acre property.

She said planning for the fist has been guided by a video of Thompson and longtime illustrator-collaborator Ralph Steadman, recorded in the late 1970s when they visited a Hollywood funeral home and began mapping out the cannon scheme.

Meanwhile, Playboy magazine this week is publishing an interview with Thompson based on a series of conversations he had with magazine staffer Tim Mohr in December.

In the interview Thompson discusses a range of topics from political freedom to the best kind of snow tires to buy but offers no obvious hints of his impending suicide.

"He was really enthusiastic and full of energy," Mohr told The Associated Press on Monday. Thompson even talked about embarking on a long-term project to expand the Playboy piece into a book, "a guide to life, sort of a handbook," Mohr said.

The interview appears in the magazine's May issue, which hits newsstands Friday.

LoungeMachine
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Very Nice, A/P

" Buy the ticket, take the Ride" - HST

Gonzo Lives.

[ the fact he did it ON my birthday will ALWAYS freak me out ]

A pilmgrimage to Owl Farm is in order for this member...........

academic punk
04-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Knew you'd like this one, LM!

You gotta love a guy who'd blow his brains out, and then stipulate in his will that he wants his wife to blow his remains out of a cannon!

Jesterstar
04-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Hey Lounge Machine your Man HST is actually a cool cat.

He was targeted for assasination because he watched a bunch of senators have sex with children at boheiman grove or another secret location of the Governments secret agenda.

LoungeMachine
04-05-2005, 09:09 PM
The guy died the way he lived.

I just wish I had met him. [although I did write him in my early 20's]

He was a fucking CLASSIC.

Thanks for posting this A/P.

LoungeMachine
04-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Jesterstar
Hey Lounge Machine your Man HST is actually a cool cat.

Thanks.:cool:

Jesterstar
04-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Dude he died because the government wanted him dead.

LoungeMachine
04-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Dude he died because the government wanted him dead.

No,

He died because he had too much pride to "live" in a wheelchair.

Until you offer PROOF otherwise, I'll assume you're just being.........well,.........YOU:cool:

Jesterstar
04-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Do research on what he was researching shortly before he died. You see if I tell you.......You wouldn't beleive me anyway.

FORD
04-05-2005, 09:52 PM
This isn't gonna be about the latest twist in the GannonGayte story, is it?

LoungeMachine
04-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by FORD

BETTER NOT.

If JesterSTOOL tries to tie Guckert, the Fuckert in with HST I'll fucking be pissed.....:mad:

Jesterstar
04-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by FORD

I told him to research it. He'll figure it out.

LoungeMachine
04-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Hunter S. Thompson Predicted His Murder Would Be Labeled "Suicide"

By Drog (Canada), Section United States of America
Posted on Mon Apr 4th, 2005 at 10:48:42 AM PST

Every suicide of a famous person is accompanied by the inevitable conspiracy theories that the suicide was really a murder made to look like a suicide. Such is true for the recent suicide of Hunter S. Thompson. But as Wikinews reports, there may actually be reasons to suspect foul play.

Not once but at least twice, Hunter Thompson, the author of "Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness", predicted he would be murdered to shut him up. He also predicted it would be made to look like a suicide. Paul William Roberts, a friend of Thompson and a well known travel writer, received a disturbing phone call from Thompson the very eve of his death. Mr. Roberts reported the phone call as follows:

"Hunter telephoned me on Feb. 19, the night before his death. He sounded scared. It wasn't always easy to understand what he said, particularly over the phone, he mumbled, yet when there was something he really wanted you to understand, you did. He'd been working on a story about the World Trade Center attacks and had stumbled across what he felt was hard evidence showing the towers had been brought down not by the airplanes that flew into them but by explosive charges set off in their foundations. Now he thought someone was out to stop him publishing it: "They're gonna make it look like suicide," he said. "I know how these bastards think."

In Jan. 2003 Thompson gave an interview on KDNK (Colorado) where he made a similar prediction; "Bush is really the evil one here and it is more than just him. We are the Nazis in this game and I don't like it. I am embarrassed and I am pissed off. I mean to say something. I think a lot of people in this country agree with me -...we'll see what happens to me if I get my head cut off next week -- it is always unknown or bushy-haired strangers who commit suicide right afterwards with no witnesses."

In addition, police found something odd about the gun Thompson supposedly used to kill himself. Deputy Ron Ryan said there was a spent shell casing, but there was no bullet in the firing chamber, as there should have been under normal circumstances. Sheriff's officer DiSalvo confirmed this opinion; "I think a bullet from the magazine should have cycled into the chamber".

Thompson died February 20th. The county coroner determined Thompson's death to be a suicide on February 21st. There was no CSI type of crime scene examination.

Sources:

"Hunter Thompson was murdered". Indymedia, March 4, 2005

"Hunter S. Thompson murder conspiracy theories". Backcountry Convervative, March 4, 2005

"New EP Heidner Report on 911 - Hot Trail or Blue Chip Disinfo?". The Seventh Fire, March 12, 2005

"Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005) on the Iraq War & the Bush Presidency". Democracy Now!, February 23, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

academic punk
04-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Ever consider the possibility that Thompson blew his brains out 'cause Jizzerstar here was e-mailing him on a constant basis?

LoungeMachine
04-05-2005, 10:06 PM
IF THE NEO CON BUSHEEP WERE WORRIED ABOUT GONZO, THEY WOULD HAE JUST STARTED ANOTHER IN A LONG LINE OF SMEAR CAMPAIGNS

IT'S THEIR M.O.

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
IF THE NEO CON BUSHEEP WERE WORRIED ABOUT GONZO, THEY WOULD HAE JUST STARTED ANOTHER IN A LONG LINE OF SMEAR CAMPAIGNS

IT'S THEIR M.O.

Do some more research on the amount of authors that have written about Bush that also commited suicide. I think you'll find it interesting.

There is way more at stake than just smear campains to shut people up.

DrMaddVibe
04-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Dignity in suicide?

I still think its a coward's way out. Little if no regard for the feelings of those that are forced to find them in their final state and the scar they will have from it.

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 07:39 AM
He didn't kill himself.

DrMaddVibe
04-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Riii-ght!

Anyone tell you that you're Ford-lite?

Everything is a fucking conspiracy!

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Please Ford still has a ounce of Faith that it can be turned around. As my good friend Phil the Stalker says. It's too late.

BigBadBrian
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
No,

He died because he had too much pride to "live" in a wheelchair.

Until you offer PROOF otherwise, I'll assume you're just being.........well,.........YOU:cool:

Too much pride too live in a wheelchair...:rolleyes:

Where do they come up with this shit? :confused:

Like the good Dr. said....the coward's way out.

HST had jumped the shark and he knew it. He ended his own little self-contained world with a real BANG and a mist of blood. Now that's his real classic for the ages. ;) :elvis:

Nitro Express
04-06-2005, 02:56 PM
I met Hunter S. Thompson in Arizona at a shooting competition. I knew he was a famouse writer but wasn't familiar with his work. He came off as a big fucknut to me. He was drinking alcohol while shooting his guns. That wasn't cool in my book and people were tollerating it because he was Hunter S. Fucking Thompson. When I heard he blew his brains out, I wasn't suprised at all. Really, that man wasn't playing with a full deck.

Nickdfresh
04-06-2005, 05:08 PM
He didn't kill himself.

If the government wanted Hunter dead, they would have done it in the sixties! It would have happened long before he was an old man.

Nickdfresh
04-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I met Hunter S. Thompson in Arizona at a shooting competition. I knew he was a famouse writer but wasn't familiar with his work. He came off as a big fucknut to me. He was drinking alcohol while shooting his guns. That wasn't cool in my book and people were tollerating it because he was Hunter S. Fucking Thompson. When I heard he blew his brains out, I wasn't suprised at all. Really, that man wasn't playing with a full deck.

He was a "genius," hence the 'not playing with a full deck.' He didn't play by your/our rules because he didn't have too. And if he had played by the rules, chances are that he never would have become a writer in the first place.

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
If the government wanted Hunter dead, they would have done it in the sixties! It would have happened ling before he was an old man.

Alot of things that he knew and uncovered were not as dangerous as what he observed recently. He was uncovering the governments child prostitution snuff ring. He witnessed rapes and molestings of children and was going to exspose it. Word got out.

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 05:11 PM
He was a "genius," hence the not playing with a full deck. He didn't play by your/our rules because he didn't have too. And if he had, chances are that he never would have become a writer in the first place.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Sound like anyone else you know???

Nickdfresh
04-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Sound like anyone else you know???

FORD?:D

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
FORD?:D

Ford just skips rocks on the surface of the water.

Jesterstar Does a Canonball into the prianna tank.,

academic punk
04-06-2005, 06:10 PM
What the FUCK is "prianna"???

Nickdfresh
04-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
What the FUCK is "prianna"???

Brain eating fish apparently!:D

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Two Owned Nerds. OWNED AGIAN

Nitro Express
04-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, Thompson definately was a rock star in his own realm wasn't he. I laughed my ass off when one of his peers in Colorado said he was shocked that Thompson killed himself but wouldn't be shocked in Thompson killed someone else.

The dude kind of struck me at G. Gordon Liddy on steroids. LOL!