• Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The Enron of Cable TV Sold!

April 9, 2005

Sale of Adelphia May Benefit Southland Cable-TV Watchers
    Time Warner, known for good service, would have a 98% share in the city of Los Angeles, 70% in L.A. and Orange counties.

By Sallie Hofmeister, Times Staff Writer

If Time Warner Inc. succeeds in taking over Adelphia Communications Corp.'s cable properties in Los Angeles, local legislators and regulators vow to extract improvements for customers.

The largest cable provider in Southern California, Adelphia has the worst service among the five operators in Los Angeles, according to city regulators.

City officials are thrilled that Adelphia's franchises could soon be in the hands of Time Warner, which boasts the city's best service record.

"Time Warner has been one of our poster children," said Dean Hansell, president of the board of the Information Technology Agency, which regulates the city's cable TV providers.

Councilman Dennis Zine, whose West San Fernando Valley district is divided into Adelphia and Time Warner areas, said: "The consumer is going to be better served by Time Warner."

Time Warner and its joint bidding partner, Comcast Corp., agreed this week to take over Adelphia for $17.7 billion in stock and cash, dividing up the assets in a way that would make Time Warner the No. 1 cable company in Southern California. A Bankruptcy Court judge and Adelphia's unsecured creditors must sign off on the deal. Adelphia filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2002 amid an accounting scandal.

Under the agreement, Time Warner would serve about 70% of cable customers in Los Angeles and Orange counties and about 98% in the city of Los Angeles alone.

The company currently serves about 120,000 West Valley customers, and more than 200,000 in Orange County.

It would add Adelphia's 1.1 million subscribers in Eagle Rock, Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach and parts of Orange County.

Time Warner would also take over some 850,000 served by Comcast in exchange for giving its takeover partner subscribers in other parts of the country.

All told, Time Warner would serve about 2 million subscribers in Southern California. Time Warner declined to comment.

Los Angeles city regulators said a sale of Adelphia would give them rare leverage to influence service and rates. Any new owner must get approval from the city before a local franchise can be transferred.

"If Time Warner wants Adelphia's franchises, we're going to hold them to a very high standard of service," said Councilman Jack Weiss, whose San Fernando Valley and West Los Angeles district is largely served by Adelphia.

He would not outline specific demands, but indicated they could involve rate relief.

"I've thought Adelphia was greenlining," he said, accusing the company of "gouging" affluent customers while charging lower rates elsewhere.

Adelphia, however, says its rates are competitive with other area cable providers.

Since its bankruptcy filing, Adelphia has had a testy relationship with the city. Officials rolled back rate increases, collected unpaid franchise fees and pressured Adelphia's management to speed their upgrades.

"Everything they've promised hasn't been delivered," Zine said. "I've had nothing but a wonderful experience with Time Warner and nothing but aggravation and complaints dealing with Adelphia. It's been very painful and frustrating."

Hansell said Adelphia had been plagued by complaints about picture quality, long customer waits on telephone help lines and out-of-state service representatives unfamiliar with local conditions. He said the city would consider asking Time Warner to have local customer representatives.

"Time Warner's call center is not local either and that's been somewhat of a problem," he said.

Adelphia has made strides in improving its local service over the last two years. Customer complaints in Los Angeles, where it serves about 226,000 customers, have dropped more than 50% annually.

The company says that by the end of the year, nearly all of its systems in the region will be equipped with digital technologies capable of delivering such advanced services as high-speed Internet and video-on-demand.

"Southern California customers are experiencing a very different Adelphia than they had two to three years ago," spokesman Bob Gold said.

Yet city regulators say Adelphia's consumer complaints remain the highest in Los Angeles, and are 10 times higher than Time Warner's in some areas.

Since 2001, Adelphia has lost 11% of its local subscribers to satellite rivals. Hansell attributes the migration to Adelphia's rate increases and its poor customer service.

By comparison, Time Warner is one of the few local operators that has increased its customer base, inching up 2% since 2001.

Unlike debt-burdened Adelphia, Time Warner is the world's largest media giant and has deep pockets.

Time Warner has been at the forefront in converting its cable systems to offer customers digital cable, high-speed Internet access, video-on-demand, personal video recorders and telephone service via cable.

But transforming Adelphia will be a challenge, Hansell predicted.

"They are going to have their hands full," he said. "Adelphia's systems are the least state of the art in the city."

These rotten bastards are my provider!
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I just want to say, hallelujah!! "Praise Gawd!" Those Regises are rotten pricks!

Comment

• blueturk
      Veteran
      • Jul 2004

Compared to a dish, ALL cable sucks. That said, I don't see how any company could be worse than ( hell yeah I'm giving names ) Charter Cable in North Carolina. These fuckers suck so bad that city counsel meetings are held just to discuss how much they suck. Although I guess I owe them one for making me choose satellite TV. Fuck cable!
      Last edited by blueturk; 04-09-2005, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Jesterstar
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

cable is about a billion times better than sattalite.
        Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

• blueturk
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jesterstar
          cable is about a billion times better than sattalite.
          And how in the hell would that be?

Comment

• Jesterstar
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

When the wind blows my screen doesn't go all fuzzy. END OF STORY.

OWNED.

Comment

• BrownSound1
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

My screen doesn't go fuzzy with my dish. Digital satellite is either all the way on or all the way off. I would dare say we get a hell of a lot worse storms where I live, than you do in Syracuse. The ONLY time you might lose a signal is when you have a super cell that has hail in it or EXTREMELY heavy rain. Other than that I never have a snowy picture or have to worry about some kid hitting the pole with a car and disrupting the service.

Picture quality is 10 times what cable is...

Comment

• blueturk
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

When the wind blows my screen doesn't go all fuzzy. END OF STORY.

OWNED.
                OWNED my fucking ass. The only time I have any trouble with my reception is MAYBE if snow piles up on the dish, and then I just scoop it off.
                And I have 100 per cent digital programming. Digital cable is 20 per cent analog and costs a hell of a lot more than my fucking dish. So enjoy your fuzzy lower channels and ever-increasing bill, and don't run your fucking mouth unless you know what the hell you're talking about. END OF STORY.
                Last edited by blueturk; 04-09-2005, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                  The ONLY time you might lose a signal is when you have a super cell that has hail in it or EXTREMELY heavy rain.
                  we've had the dish five+ years, and it's gone out less than ten times. our dish is on the side of the house so it's slightly protected by the soffit overhang, snow doesn't stick to it at all. last time i had cable, it went out in most summer storms.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I had an Adelphia service tech at my pad the other day. I asked him about high speed internet only as opposed to their cable package, he said "fuck no I don't have cable, just the high speed internet and I have satellite!" OWNED!

Comment

• Jesterstar
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
                      OWNED my fucking ass. The only time I have any trouble with my reception is MAYBE if snow piles up on the dish, and then I just scoop it off.
                      And I have 100 per cent digital programming. Digital cable is 20 per cent analog and costs a hell of a lot more than my fucking dish. So enjoy your fuzzy lower channels and ever-increasing bill, and don't run your fucking mouth unless you know what the hell you're talking about. END OF STORY.

Actually I do own your Ass. You see I don't have to hop on the roof to to clear my reception. I don't spend that much time in front of the ideot box. Your owned. Forget and Set it then for Get it again.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        I had an Adelphia service tech at my pad the other day. I asked him about high speed internet only as opposed to their cable package, he said "fuck no I don't have cable, just the high speed internet and I have satellite!" OWNED!
                        Your Penis has never touched a moist Vagina...........Your owned.

Comment

• blueturk
                          Veteran
                          • Jul 2004

Actually I do own your Ass. You see I don't have to hop on the roof to to clear my reception. I don't spend that much time in front of the ideot box. Your owned. Forget and Set it then for Get it again.
                          You're (that's how you spell it) a fucking idiot ( and that's how you spell that). There aren't too many dishes on the tops of houses. Most of them are on the side of the house, like mine, at about eye level.
                          It's obvious that you have no idea what you're trying to argue about, so just shut the fuck up.
                          Last edited by blueturk; 04-10-2005, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
                            You're (that's how you spell it) a fucking idiot ( and that's how you spell that). There aren't too many dishes on the tops of houses. Most of them are on the side of the house, like mine, at about eye level.
                            It's obvious that you have no fucking idea what you're trying to argue about, so just shut the fuck up.
                            Dude Replace the word........"HOUSE" with the word "TRAILOR" which is what you actually live in.

I mean really.

You call it a Dish because that is what you know hot to call it. it looks like what you Wash at work.

OH FUCK WHAT A INCREDIBLE COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR OWNED>

Comment

• blueturk
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2004

I cant figger out this dish stuf. You mean thers things in the sky that beem down TV shows? They cant look better than cabul. Your crazee.
                              No, I'm serious!
                              Last edited by blueturk; 04-10-2005, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...