PDA

View Full Version : GENESIS thread...

Rikk
04-10-2005, 02:31 AM
For those fans of GENESIS that post here, which era do you like more? It's funny that for how much us VH fans like to go on about the "original" VH, many of us probably accept the Collins-led GENESIS just as much.

I personally think there's something a little more magical and fascinating about the Gabriel era. Albums like FOXTROT, SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND and THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY are almost mystical or other-worldly. It's clear that no albums like these could ever be produced again...Hackett's guitar, Gabriel's distinctive lead merging with Collins' back-ups, the dreamy mellotron, the off-beat lyrics...great stuff.

http://www.genesis-movement.org/photos_memorabilia/montreal73/montreal5.jpg

That said, the Collins era was also great in its own way. I really especially like their stripped-down, funkier and poppier work on albums like DUKE, ABACAB or the self-titled from '83. MAMA is a career highlight.

http://www.genesis-movement.org/photos_memorabilia/buffalo83/THALL.jpg

Let's ignore the Ray Wilson era, huh?

(Sorry, STOFFA...I know how much you hate prog-rock!:D)

Panamark
04-10-2005, 04:34 AM
Peter Gabriel is better, even though Phil Collins sings exactly like him.

Warham
04-10-2005, 08:27 AM
I had to go with the 'sell-out' era. :D

dr.rythm
04-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I am pretty much on your side for this one Rikk....:cool:

I definitly enjoy the Gabriel's era with songs like "supper's ready, lamb lies down....cinema show" etc andall the masquerade that went on behind it.....

But being a drummer I also lean on the Collin's era...especially when he teams up with Chester to do "in the cage(medley)" and both drummers do exactly the same.....wow

Rikk
04-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Yep. Those drum duets are pretty awesome.;) And another thing I admire about GENESIS after Gabriel left is that, unlike pussy Hagar and the horrible second line-up, they had no problem playing plenty of original material. And they also varied it up tour to tour...playing SUPPER'S READY, LAMB medleys, FIRTH OF FIFTH, FOUNTAIN OF SALMACIS, etc. At least they respected their whole legacy right up until the end...no matter how many pop hits they were racking up.

twonabomber
04-10-2005, 12:55 PM
what about their own version of the "Cherone era?"

Rikk
04-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
what about their own version of the "Cherone era?"

A joke. I can't believe they tried to make a new album with another singer.

dr.rythm
04-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
And another thing I admire about GENESIS after Gabriel left is that, unlike pussy Hagar and the horrible second line-up, they had no problem playing plenty of original material. And they also varied it up tour to tour...

True dat....IMO that's what real mature bands do...So OK you can't stand each other for such and such reasons, you decide to break-up..fine.... but you got to realize that fans are crushed.... and they cannot pick sides.. so if you try to continue your way....good for you but you cannot in any way deny what put you on the map to begin with... like vanfagard did

cuz if you do.... well you gonna shoot yourself in the foot and slowly start going down the drain.....:hagar1::uck:

jojo2371
04-10-2005, 01:10 PM
if i had to choose i'd go with the gabriel era !!! but i like it all up until invisible touch ,the only problem i have with the phil era is it overshadows his drumming ,people have forgotten he is a badass on drums !!! nowadays it phil collins the singer and songwriter and most kids think his drumming is summed up by the drum break from in the air tonight !! when ever i get bored playin the drums or feel that i'm gettin stale i just break out and play along with selling england or the lamb and phil gives me a good kick in the ass!!!!!

Rikk
04-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by jojo2371
if i had to choose i'd go with the gabriel era !!! but i like it all up until invisible touch ,the only problem i have with the phil era is it overshadows his drumming ,people have forgotten he is a badass on drums !!! nowadays it phil collins the singer and songwriter and most kids think his drumming is summed up by the drum break from in the air tonight !! when ever i get bored playin the drums or feel that i'm gettin stale i just break out and play along with selling england or the lamb and phil gives me a good kick in the ass!!!!!

Phil's drums on the middle part of FIRTH OF FIFTH is fucking dazzling. Hell, his dazzling on every GENESIS album is great, but especially on the Gabriel stuff and certain later albums, including ABACAB.

dr.rythm
04-10-2005, 01:26 PM
the only problem i have with the phil era is it overshadows his drumming ,people have forgotten he is a badass on drums !!! nowadays it phil collins the singer and songwriter and most kids think his drumming is summed up by the drum break from in the air tonight !! when ever i get bored playin the drums or feel that i'm gettin stale i just break out and play along with selling england or the lamb and phil gives me a good kick in the ass!!!!!

Right on with that Jojo.....Phil was the king of off syncopated beats i mean some people could barely follow his rythm so much that he was all over the place....it is sad that he got cought-up in the "pleasing the masses" and cast away his art and gift...like such.... but hey when i feel blue...nothin like "cinema show" and the rides he takes you on at the end......:bananna:

jojo2371
04-10-2005, 01:40 PM
i know the original line-up got back together for the box set to re-record a tune a few yrs back ,always thought it was strange even after the ray wilson bomb ,that they made no attempt at a reunion tour! even with out an album i'd still pay to see that !!!!!

dr.rythm
04-10-2005, 01:49 PM
even with out an album i'd still pay to see that !!!!!

Amen to that!!! could you imagine PG getting back onstage with Genesis with Phil on drums but at the same time sharing the stage with him on vocals .....ahhh is there a god....that would be like the same as saying could you imagine peace on earth.....:angel:lol

bueno bob
04-10-2005, 04:00 PM
The only thing I heard of the Ray Wilson era was the one song "Congo"; and shoot me, but I found it rather likeable, all things considered. It wasn't really Genesis at all, but the track was good, I thought. Probably would have been better as a Mike Rutherford solo album or something, but...

My favorite era of Genesis is into the Phil Collins era - that being said, I DO NOT LIKE every single Genesis album during that era! Very important to emphasize that. Say, from...I don't know..."Duke" to as far as different elements of "Invisible Touch" (but NOT the whole album..."Invisible Touch" wears thin mighty quickly for me), and frankly I thought "We Can't Dance" was a pile of dog vomit.

So what would that make it, 1980-1986 or thereabouts?

Warham
04-10-2005, 09:07 PM
I thought Jesus He Knows Me was a funny little stab at the bullshit televangelists at the time. I heard that one was banned by the BBC at the time.

Matt White
04-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Not a big GENESIS fan. Certainly not the Collins era.

I have always meant to dig back and check out Gabriels version. I'll have to now, and soon.

I was just reading an old GUITAR WORLD this morning and Yngwie Malmsteen credits GENESIS for introducing him to CLASSICAL MUSIC in modern rock music. He said something to the effect that "Tony Banks is responsible for Neo-classical Metal!"

rustoffa
04-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I thought Jesus He Knows Me was a funny little stab at the bullshit televangelists at the time. I heard that one was banned by the BBC at the time.

That "It's no fun being an illegal alien" thing is like prophetic in retrospect.

Catchy number too!

:D

Rikk
04-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
That "It's no fun being an illegal alien" thing is like prophetic in retrospect.

Catchy number too!

I thought you hated anything associated with prog rock...:D

bueno bob
04-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Warham

It was amusing, yes, but the album didn't have any replay value to me...Phil Collins, both Genesis and solo, just kinda started slowing down in the 90s, I thought. Used to be a time I loved him solo, but closing down the 80s, the stuff got to be overkill and everything I've heard from him since he left Genesis sounds like Disney music to me.

But Jesus He Knows Me is an amusing number, I'll admit that.

Rikk
04-11-2005, 03:27 AM
JESUS HE KNOWS ME, NO SON OF MINE, FADING LIGHTS and maybe DREAMING WHILE YOU SLEEP are all quite good. But overall, WE CAN'T DANCE totally lacks the spark INVISIBLE TOUCH and GENESIS had. In my opinion, the self-titled album is probably the best and most consistent release the Collins line-up had. I like every song on it...IT'S GONNA GET BETTER is a forgotten gem.

bueno bob
04-11-2005, 03:34 AM
JESUS HE KNOWS ME, NO SON OF MINE, FADING LIGHTS and maybe DREAMING WHILE YOU SLEEP are all quite good. But overall, WE CAN'T DANCE totally lacks the spark INVISIBLE TOUCH and GENESIS had. In my opinion, the self-titled album is probably the best and most consistent release the Collins line-up had. I like every song on it...IT'S GONNA GET BETTER is a forgotten gem.

I agree, overall Genesis is probably the most consisted effort from start to end. Its Gonna Get Better is definitely a good number, also. Good choice!

dr.rythm
04-11-2005, 07:53 PM
..IT'S GONNA GET BETTER is a forgotten gem.

Not...in my world.....

If you have a crummy day,You listen to the lyrics and follow along, if you focus and let yourself sail with the tune....well you can't do anything else than get better....this song as spiritual power :smilieci:

rustoffa
04-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I thought you hated anything associated with prog rock...:D

SU-SU-SUDIO!

Rikk
04-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
SU-SU-SUDIO!

Don't you mean 1999...;)

academic punk
04-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Not so much a fan of Genesis...

Deuteronomy and Ecclesiasteses have always been my preferred chapters.