Who here considers themselves Math geniuses?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Susie Q
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Who here considers themselves Math geniuses?

Ok...here it is. I consider myself very well versed in things like english, grammar, etc. However, when it comes to math, I really suck at it. My kid is in the middle of learning circumference and radius, and I have no idea on how to school him on this.

I know about the decimal being 3.14 and the fraction being 22/7. But...lets take this problem for instance....how do you come up with it?

What is the circumference of a 2 1/2 yard circle?

How about this one?
    Find the circumference of a circle with the radius of 0.95 meters.

He is in 6th grade math, and we just went on to dividing fractions, cause Mommy has no f'ing clue on how to figure this crap out.

Thanks to all the genius' who can help me teach this kid this stuff.

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
    ~Susie Q 2009
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

he can always do what i used to do, ask the teacher "and what will i need this for when i grow up?"
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Susie Q
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
      he can always do what i used to do, ask the teacher "and what will i need this for when i grow up?"
      Here is the sad part....I AM his teacher. Bwhahahahha! I have no clue on how to do this. His final semester is being taught by me at home. I said that a long time ago to my teacher when it came to algebra and the like. I said to my math teacher in 9th grade, "Where am I going to use this algebra stuff anyways?" He said, 'Well...if you become a math teacher, or in construction, or...." I said, "Well...I am not going to be either, so I'm not going to continue with this class." As long as I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide. That's the important thing.

Now, I am forced by the poor education system I have here in the state where I live to teach my kid at home. (Until I get him enrolled into private school next year).

I can go on a rant big time with this one. Our middle school FAILED their own tests! The teachers were given their own tests a few years back and could not pass them. What's that tell ya? I went to the Board of Education a few weeks back to complain about the school my son attends and what condition it is in. I told them that my son will not be returning that I will finish home schooling him until next year. I showed her my plans, the curriculm I would follow, the progress notes I would be willing to submit, etc. She said to me, "If you had your teaching certificate I would hire you on the spot. You seem so organized, etc." My son is a A student in all his classes, is on the honor roll. Thugs and baddasses are what is running that school at present. I went there and they had security cameras in the office with no one manning them. I watched this while waiting on the principal for a half hour. When I brought up how my son was jumped by 4 kids and 'no one saw it', he said he has hall monitors and video cameras planted. I told him, I was just out in his waiting area where the cameras are supposed to be MONITORED with NO ONE monitoring them, I said.....not a good plan. My kid wants a education. Back in third grade he told me that he wanted to go to Boston University, and then over to Oxford.

Pisses me off that we have to pay school tax for a kid who won't even belong in their damn district anymore. Private school is quite expensive, but my kid is worth every penny.

rant over....

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
      ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• flappo
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

me

2 + 1 = 4 , i mean 5 , ok 7

fuck , 2 , i mean 45 , ok 19

Comment

• flappo
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

only joshing

e=mc+Hammerxtremelydrunk=cunt

Comment

• Susie Q
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by flappo
            only joshing

e=mc+Hammerxtremelydrunk=cunt
            I LUV U

~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• Ally_Kat
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Re: Who here considers themselves Math geniuses?

Originally posted by Susie Q

What is the circumference of a 2 1/2 yard circle?
              What is 2 1/2? The diameter or the circumference?

How about this one?
              Find the circumference of a circle with the radius of 0.95 meters.
              C = pi * d

C = pi * ( 0.95 + 0.95)

C = pi * 1.9

C = 3.14 * 1.9

C = 5.966 meters
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Susie Q
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Who here considers themselves Math geniuses?

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                What is 2 1/2? The diameter or the circumference?
                The circumference. I am still lost with this....

~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

*slaps head*

I meant diameter or radius. It asks for circumference.

(can ya tell I'm still recovering from a girls weekend out? lol! )
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                    It'll make him a carpenter or Architect!

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

yes but an architect will probably be using a computer that does all the math for him.

i was lucky. when i took vocational electronics, we were allowed to use calculators and a list of formulas during tests. in fact the teacher would give us a 3x5 card and said whatever info you can fit on here is fair game.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Susie Q
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                        *slaps head*

I meant diameter or radius. It asks for circumference.

(can ya tell I'm still recovering from a girls weekend out? lol! )
                        Awwww Jeez! I remember those times! Now a days my days are numbered with kids and husband, parents and pets.

I dunno...the damn book don't say. I just don't know how you guys get the answers to stuff. Right now I am formulating his grades to submit to the Board of Education tommorrow.

~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• Susie Q
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                          It'll make him a carpenter or Architect!
                          This boy wants to be a Business Lawyer at this point. (He is 12).

~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• Roguesgirl
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2005

Just wait til he's in High School,, Susie. LMAO!

My son was a "mathlete" and was in Advanced Placement Calculus. I looked at his work and had to go lie down.
                            TLC
                            You KNOW I got the blues.
                            Can you dig it?
                            Welcome to Massachusetts. Now get the FUCK out of my way!

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Awwww Jeez! I remember those times! Now a days my days are numbered with kids and husband, parents and pets.

I dunno...the damn book don't say. I just don't know how you guys get the answers to stuff. Right now I am formulating his grades to submit to the Board of Education tommorrow.
                              It started out as an honors conference, but my room had a fridge in it and we finished our presentations on friday. So what else to do til Sunday?

Usually textbooks have step by step instructions. Do you have any teacher editions?

To get circumference is pretty simple. You need the diameter (d) or the radius (r)

If you have the diameter all you need to do is multiply the diameter by pi, which is 3.14.

If you have the radius, all you have to do is either multiply the radius by 2 or just add the radiu to itself. This makes the diameter. Then just go the route you would if it was the diameter, multiply by pi. Don't forget to have him label what measuring unit it is!

When we got to dealing with this in my elementary school, they let us use a calculator. If he has no problem multipling numbers with multiply digits and/or decimals, I say let him use the ol' calculator.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...