• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Further Evidence The Drunk is a sellout

This from an interview with John Mellencamp:

Q. Would you ever consider doing an acoustic tour?

A. Actually, yeah, I have. Eddie Van Halen and I talked about it four years ago. He would play acoustic guitar and I would sing. We talked about it for three months. I went to MTV in the mid-`80s, and they'll verify the story, and said, "I want to do a concert in acoustic guitars." A couple years later they came up with acoustic - or unplugged. That was me (my idea).

Full interview is here:

• academic punk
    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Actually, the Unplugged concept was Jools Hollands creation.

He had a concert in England where the theme was his songs done in an acoustic setting. It went over so well that it was turned into Unplugged.

That Ed would collaborate with Mellencamp is strange...but then again, Dave is from the same town - Bloomington, Ind. - where Mellencamp continues to reside, so maybe Ed already knows his way around and has an affinity for the liquor stores in that part of the country.

(as far as ANYONE "originating" the Unplugged concept, well..I'm sure every musician and his mother can claim that they were the first to come up with the idea...)

Comment

• vanzilla
      Veteran
      • Jul 2004

Re: Further Evidence The Drunk is a sellout

Originally posted by Hardrock69
      This from an interview with John Mellencamp:

Q. Would you ever consider doing an acoustic tour?

A. Actually, yeah, I have. Eddie Van Halen and I talked about it four years ago. He would play acoustic guitar and I would sing. We talked about it for three months. I went to MTV in the mid-`80s, and they'll verify the story, and said, "I want to do a concert in acoustic guitars." A couple years later they came up with acoustic - or unplugged. That was me (my idea).

HR - my boy Dwyer would've been all over this. He's a HUGE Mellenhead. I'll have to show him this one.
      Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Mellencamp has far more credibility than Ed will ever have again, and I'm saying that even though he's a liberal who's said some stupid shit in Rolling Stone last year.

Comment

• BlimpyCHIMP™
          Banned
          • May 2004

SKUNK

DRURNK

TOTAL

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Sounds like Ed's struggling to be commercially relevant and come up with something that will sell like hotcakes.

Sad part is, one call to Dave would kill both those birds with one stone.

EVH hooking up with Mellencamp doesn't astonish me. The guy hooked up with Cherone, Hagar and wanted to play with Patty Smythe...he digs his pop 40 fluff. Whatever.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• rustoffa
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Maybe during "Hand to hold onto", Ed would wax sentimental and experience a moment of clarity!

Then Cougar would be like, "I knew this would work bro, go ahead and give Dave a call."

*BOOM*

John Cougar as Jimmy Carter!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                Mellencamp has far more credibility than Ed will ever have again, and I'm saying that even though he's a liberal who's said some stupid shit in Rolling Stone last year.
                That's very generous of you!

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

Re: Further Evidence The Drunk is a sellout

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                  I went to MTV in the mid-`80s, and they'll verify the story, and said, "I want to do a concert in acoustic guitars." A couple years later they came up with acoustic - or unplugged. That was me (my idea).
                  HHmmmm....guess Johnny never went to see Zep in the 70's. "His Idea" my eye!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I think Eddie's new guitar technique is going to be attaching a pick to the end of a condom and rolling it up on his dick and then wanking off in an up and down motion while Melencamp holds and accoustic guitar.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Re: Re: Further Evidence The Drunk is a sellout

Originally posted by vanzilla
                      HR - my boy Dwyer would've been all over this. He's a HUGE Mellenhead. I'll have to show him this one.
                      I saw him just last night...I think the 10 pm broadcast. Isn't he the main sports anchor there?

Johnny Cougar (GOD I HATE IT WHEN MAJOR LABEL RECORD SCUM TRY TO CREATE A BRAND NAME FOR AN ARTIST) has had a good career....no big controversies, scandals, etc.

Just a good songwriter, though I can't stand to listen to him. His songs are well crafted, but too fluffy for my sorry, pile-driving ass....radio is partly to blame, as they play his stuff constantly.

Man, Ed ought to do a solo album. With a shitload of guest musicians. That seems to be the 'in' thing these days....maybe they could lure him into a studio under false pretenses....like say...tell him there is a bottle of 100-year-old Scotch in there....and when he goes in and can't find it, they lock him in there with some PABST BLUE RIBBON and tell him he can't have the Scotch until he records 10 songs....of course he would view that as somehow cruel....and could suffer a meltdown and wind up like at the end of "Hot For Teacher'...resting comfortably in a rubber room somewhere with a custom-fitted straight white vest....

But I digress.....

Comment

• Apollo
                        Roadie
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                        Actually, the Unplugged concept was Jools Hollands creation.

He had a concert in England where the theme was his songs done in an acoustic setting. It went over so well that it was turned into Unplugged.

That Ed would collaborate with Mellencamp is strange...but then again, Dave is from the same town - Bloomington, Ind. - where Mellencamp continues to reside, so maybe Ed already knows his way around and has an affinity for the liquor stores in that part of the country.

(as far as ANYONE "originating" the Unplugged concept, well..I'm sure every musician and his mother can claim that they were the first to come up with the idea...)

I always thougt Tesla played a big part in starting this whole MTV unplugged thing.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Mar 2003

Actually I've always heard that MTV got the idea from the Elvis' '68 Comeback Special rehearsals.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

Well...speaking of MTV unplugged....the 1994 show where Tony Bennett was on was the second most watched of the series.

Tony released an album that year from that performance, and it was the best selling album of his career.

Then, to top it off, that album won a Grammy for Best Album Of 1994!

Tony is also...THE MAN!!!

Comment

• Matt White
                              • Jun 2004

TONY BENNETT is a class act!

Comment

Working...