PDA

View Full Version : Cavs owner slaps down LeBron rumors

ALinChainz
04-15-2005, 03:21 PM
CLEVELAND (AP) — Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert is tired of the rumors, innuendo and talk about LeBron James possible leaving the Cavaliers. "Frankly, I don't know why he would leave Cleveland," Gilbert said Thursday.
In recent weeks, James' future in Cleveland has become a topic of speculation as the Cavaliers have faltered in their push toward the club's first NBA playoff appearance since 1998.

Gilbert, who took over the club on March 1, addressed the speculation surrounding James and other topics before Thursday night's game against the New York Knicks.

"It's definitely surprising to me," Gilbert said of the almost daily rumors. "You don't hear people say, 'When is Carmelo (Anthony) leaving Denver? Or when is Dwyane Wade leaving Miami?' It seems to be what is going to happen with LeBron?"

James, in his second season, has two more years left on his rookie contract and can become an unrestricted free agent after his fifth pro season.

But Gilbert, an online mortgage magnate who purchased the Cavaliers for $375 million from Gordon Gund, has no intention of letting James bolt. With James as the centerpiece, Gilbert's plans are to build a team capable of winning multiple titles.

"Let's get it right, LeBron is here for three more years," Gilbert said, pounding a fist into his open hand for emphasis. "People don't understand the collective bargaining agreement or how it works. We hope he's here for his whole career and we're going to do what we can to make that happen. We're very optimistic."

The Cavaliers entered Thursday's game in the No. 7 playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, and Gilbert is upset with the perception that he and his ownership group have been hurting the Cavs since taking over.

Gilbert fired coach Paul Silas on March 22, a move he said was essential for the Cavs to make the postseason. Gilbert also denied having direct involvement in deciding which players are on the floor.

"I came from the financial world and people don't print false rumors," he said. "There are things being written on a daily basis that are completely false. We don't meddle. We haven't ever told a coach who to play or who to sit down."

Warham
04-15-2005, 03:26 PM
LeBron will end up playing for the Lakers.

That's the great thing about being an LA fan. We've had just about every great player that's ever played in the NBA (except for Bulls and Celtics players).

Brett
04-15-2005, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Lebron winds up being a Laker...and yes with Kobe.

The Lakes always get the marquee players, maybe one day we'll see KG in purple and gold. Don't say it won't ever happen either. Gotta get rid of those stupid contracts first....AKA Brian Grant and his $28 million the next two years.

Hey the Lakers had Celtic great Rick Fox, can't forget that. :) Actually I think Don Nelson played for the Lakers as well. Not sure if it was before or after Boston, for some reason, I think before.

ALinChainz
04-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Never happen.

They won't be able to offer him the max contract, he'll have a big say in the next coach, he's from the area, etc.

It was just before playing for the Celts he played for the Lakes.

Rick Fox? lol

DLR7884
04-15-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't know how these dumb ass rumors get started.

Explain to me how this guy just shelled out $375 million, yet he would give up on the best young talent in NBA history?

LeBron still has a year left on his first contract, and I believe the club has the right to extend for 2 more years after that. Also, why would LeBron want to leave? They are gonna make the playoffs this year, he is close to home, and soon enough they will bring in a few free agents and Clevelend will dominate the East.

DLR7884
Silly story.

twonabomber
04-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
I don't know how these dumb ass rumors get started.

lousy writers. the rumor was going around before Vecsey said anything.

if you believe the local writers, Paxson is as good as gone after the season. not that it's a bad thing...

DLR7884
04-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Peter Vecesy can fuck himself.

DLR7884
That bearded queer.

Warham
04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Nobody thought O'Neal would leave Orlando either back in '93.

POJO_Risin
04-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Look...LeBron can't become an unrestricted free agent...meaning...he can't leave without the Cavs matching until AFTER year 5...and if the Cavs wouldn't match...they'd be idiots...

1 of 3 things will happen.

1. He'll play into his fifth season in Cleveland...then they'll deal him because they know he won't sign.

2. Cleveland will pull a Cleveland and deal him before then (not likely), which is not likely because LeBron marketing will remain in the top 5% of the league's top marketers...and will more than make up for any contract that he signs with Cleveland before year 6.

3. Cleveland will sign players...become a contender...and roll with his hometown club long term.

The unknown factor are his endorsers. Nike is more than willing to offset the fact that he can't make as much going to a new club as he can with Cleveland...by getting him to roll to NY or LA for less after 5...and overpaying his endorsement to get him in that market.

Will he be a Laker?...right now...I don't see it...ask me again in two years...or if they hire another fucking bumbling moron like Paxson...and they let the same shit happen to them that they did with that overrated piece of shit Dooker Boozer...

Warham
04-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Who was LeBron's favorite NBA player growing up? If the answer is Magic Johnson, he'll be a Laker for sure. If it's somebody else, then it's up for debate.

POJO_Risin
04-15-2005, 06:29 PM
NOBODY thought Shaq would leave in '93?

I sure as fuck did...especially once the Laker rumors started...and I'd be stupid as fuck to think he wouldn't leave Cleveland...

I think Cleveland could do a lot to keep him by resigning Z or another capable center...then going out and getting Redd to put perimeter pressure on defenses...and take off the doubles and zones he's been getting...

They'll be under the cap significantly...so they can make a move or 2 to get them another player they can roll with over the next couple of years to get them on the precipice of winning this thing.

Warham
04-15-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't think anybody thought Shaq would leave Orlando his first three years, especially with Hardaway there. They were going to be the next Magic and Kareem and take Orlando to the promised land.

I don't think Penny or John Gabriel ever forgave Shaq for taking a million less and leaving town.

POJO_Risin
04-15-2005, 06:42 PM
The optimists thought that...especially after Penny and Shaq rode the train to the finals...

But in retrospect...there really was no doubt that Shaq talked up 2 things...

1. Jerry West

2. Shaq-Fu

His first rap album...produced in LA was in 1993 I think...and Blue Chips was in 93 or 94 as well...he had Hollywood written all over him...

Bret
04-15-2005, 09:19 PM
LeBron is the man!

twonabomber
04-16-2005, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Who was LeBron's favorite NBA player growing up?

i dunno, he wears number 23 on his jersey, you tell me. ;)

this was in yesterday's paper...

James, agent put rumors to rest
Friday, April 15, 2005

Rumors have circulated that LeBron James will force the Cavaliers to trade him to the New York Knicks at the end of the season.

The major reasoning, according to a New York newspaper, is that James' Nike contract has a clause where he will make more money in a major market, like New York. The rumors began to snowball earlier this week when film maker Spike Lee, a longtime Knicks' fan, told reporters that there was no guarantee that James will remain with the Cavs.

James' agent, Aaron Goodwin, has also heard the rumors and he doesn't like them.

"The problem with journalism now days is that people write things based on rumors and innuendoes," Goodwin said. "If it doesn't come out of my mouth or LeBron James' mouth, it doesn't matter what anyone else says. He's addressed it and I've addressed it by saying there's not truth to it."

James addressed the issue following practice on Wednesday.

"The fans in the city of Cleveland have nothing to worry about at this point," James said. "I'm here."

Goodwin said that James wants to win a championship with the Cavs. "The kid is looking forward to making it to the playoffs," Goodwin said. "He believes that the Gilberts will do what they've said and build a team around him."

James becomes a restricted free agent in 2007.

fuckin' piece of shit Spike Lee. sit on the sideline and shut the fuck up.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Peter Vecesy can fuck himself.

Damn, sure makes it fun on those lonely nights.... ;)