X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xtopher
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Jul 2004

Do you remember when all this began?

People always talk about what they were doing when Kennedy was assassinated or when the WTC was demolished with explosives.

But can any of you remember what you were doing when news came down the pipe that Roth and VH had split after the most succcessful album and world tour of their career up to that point?

I used to be a half-stoner/half-jock sort of hybrid and I remember I was on a stoner day that day and we were at my friend Mitch's house figuring out how we could make a bong out of this old coronet we found in the dumpster. Some more stoner buddies came over and they were all sort of quiet then one of them said, "hey...have you heard yet?"

"Heard what," asked Mitch.

"David Lee Roth got fired from Van Halen or he quit or something....not that I give a fuck, I was just sayin' in case you like them."

"Ah hell no, they suck."

I was in shock and so badly wanted to go turn on MTV to see if they were dishing any news.But the group I was hanging out with at the time was supposed to be all tough and shit and listened to groups like WASP, Iron Maiden, *some* Ozzy, and occasionally some Rush, but the _Caress of Steel_ /Mitor and the Snowdog bullshit.

They also listened to Judas Priest, and I really dug them a lot but the funny thing is that years later they would find out that their frontman was gay and they were totally digging his vibe!

Anyway, I felt so fucking robbed. I was thirteen or fourteen years old and had been listening to VH since I was seven. They were like family to me, even though thyey didn't know I even existed and probably the VH Bros. were a couple of pricks back then as well.

I felt like something inside of me had died prematurely and without warning, like a brain tumor the size of grapefruit consuming all the imrptant parts of your brain like a thief in the night, and not finding out about it until you have a week to live.

But I was also pissed off at Dave as well for feeling like he had to strike out on his own because VH just wasn't fruity enough at the time or that he wasn't getting the attention he deserved being the frontman for the greatest rock band of all time.

But in the end, I became a fan of both. Hagar had some good songs and, most importantly, seemed to be cool with placating Eddie's enormous egocentric personality and greedy tendencies. And Dave got to go off and do his titty dancer routine complete with spandex, thongs, leg warmers and eye shadow.

And for a while, they all seemed happy.

So where did it begin to go wrong? Where did all the bad blood begin?

Is it true that Roth fucked Valerie Bertanelli on the Diver Down tour? If so, that explains a lot.
    Last edited by Xtopher; 04-18-2005, 05:21 AM.
    vouchsafe and behoove whoremongers.
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Didnt the WTC get blown up by planes ???

Yes Dave screwed Ed and Al's wives.
    Yes Mikey and Sammy have sex...
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

So what was the coronet bong like ?? That sounds pretty cool !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Xtopher
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
        It was okay, if I remember correctly.

My friend, Mitch, was convinced that he was onto the next big thing because you could load up three bowls at once. But it cashed super quick and ended up wasting so much smoke bfore you could inhale it all or pass it on.

I once new this guy that used Hi-C in his water bong and he would use the same punch for like a week and smoke quite a bit through it, then he would make a big spectacle out of drinking the Hi-C, claming that he could see "things, places, people and minor deities."

I don't know why that is important...oh yeah, now I do. Heh!

We weree in such a state when we went to the Eat 'em and Smile tour with Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai.

Remember that giant microphone? I really wanted one. Still do, as a matter of fact! lol.
        vouchsafe and behoove whoremongers.

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Anyone that can drink bong water is a sick individual !
          I remember watching a friend of mine drink about six month old
          bong water from one of those coconut bongs.. I threw up watching
          him do it. He threw up too... :eek:

I can only imagine how many people had dribbled into this
          tar filled goop....
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

First I heard about it was in April of 1985, and I think it probably was from MTV just prior to the blurb in Rolling Stone magazine where Eddie confirmed it.

Really was a demarcation point for the 1980s in terms of hard rock, 'cuz 1984-1985 saw the release of some killer albums (Last In Line, Powerslave, Defenders of the Faith)...then from 1986 onward the airwaves were saturated with Bon Jovi, Poison, Warrant, Winger, Van Hagar etc. Not to say that there wasn't good shit coming out that MTV wasn't jumping all over (Metallica's Master of Puppets, Yngwie's Marching Out)...but classic VH splitting up did mark the end of an era.

Also remember hearing that Hagar was gonna sing for Halen a few months afterwards and thinking he wasn't anything that special.

'Bout the only good thing to come out of the Van Halen split was the EEAS band. In some ways I think the CVH split came at the right time, though I didn't think so back then. Hindsight being 20/20, considering what EVh's style was 'evolving' into, it would have been far worse for them to have stayed together and heard Roth sing over stuff like Dreams or When It's Love. 1984 wasn't the hardest rocker in CVHs catalog (House Of Pain and Hot For Teacher excepted), but at least CVH went out on top.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• BenJammin
              Foot Soldier
              • Feb 2004

I was in the Navy, on my first (and only) ship. 1984 had come out right before I went to boot camp, but I didn't get to hear it until after I was out (of boot). I thought they were on top of the world (pardon the 5150 pun, not intended) after '1984', I totally wore that cassette out (a sideline, remember when these clear cassettes starting coming out, they looked so cool!), anyway, to hear they broke up just deflated my spirit. I can still remember it. Felt like somebody punched me in the stomach. They were my favorite band and VH was the first concert I had ever been to (1981, a band called G-Force opened for them). I enjoyed 5150 because most of the songs were written for Dave and Sammy was trying really hard to be Dave-esque on that album. I never bought anymore Van Hagar after that though. Funny thing was I never thought about NOT buying any, I just wasn't interested anymore. Been hoping for a reunion with Dave since the early 90's.
              "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

I believe I was watching MTV when I heard. It didn't hit me too hard at the time, because I'd just recently discovered Van Halen (via the "Jump" video) and hadn't exactly had the chance to discover love for them yet.

Then when I first heard Dreams or Why Can't This be Love or whatever it was on the radio, I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted David back
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Carmine
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2004

MTV...sitting in my parents living room. I cried like a 3 year old...OK...a 14 year old....

Comment

• rustoffa
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark

Thanks Bro,

I needed that.

Comment

Working...