PDA

View Full Version : Raiders agree to trade Jolley for Jets' first-round pick

ALinChainz
04-20-2005, 11:48 PM
By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer

April 20, 2005

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- The Raiders agreed to a trade with the New York Jets on Wednesday that will send tight end Doug Jolley to the Jets and give Oakland a first-round pick in this weekend's NFL draft after all.

Jolley, a fourth-year tight end out of Brigham Young University, goes to New York along with a second-round pick in exchange for the Jets' 26th overall pick, one Raiders source and one NFL source said, both speaking on condition of anonymity. The swap would be contingent on Jolley passing a physical.

``There are a couple things that need to happen,'' the Raiders source said, including finalizing which other draft picks Oakland would receive.

The Raiders traded their first-round draft selection -- seventh overall -- to Minnesota for Randy Moss in March and weren't scheduled to make their first pick until sixth in the second round, 38th overall.

Jolley, a second round draft pick out of BYU in 2002, had 27 catches for 313 yards and two touchdowns last season. In 47 career games, Jolley has 90 catches for 972 yards and five scores.

The Jets needed help at tight end after losing starter Anthony Becht as a free agent earlier this offseason. Chris Baker was the only player on the roster with any significant game experience at the position.

The swap of Jolley came a day after Oakland dealt disgruntled cornerback Phillip Buchanon to the Houston Texans for two draft picks.

The Raiders got Houston's 47th overall pick in the second round in the Buchanon trade Tuesday, then gave that pick to the Jets in Wednesday's deal. Oakland already had the 69th pick in the third round and now also receives one of the Texans' two picks that round.

The Raiders finished 5-11 last season, getting just one more victory in coach Norv Turner's first year than the Raiders managed the previous season under fired coach Bill Callahan. The team is just 9-23 over the past two seasons for the worst two-year record since Al Davis arrived in 1963 to coach and eventually own the Raiders.

The Jets hope getting Jolley will provide a big boost to their offense.

New York went after restricted free agent Jeb Putzier last month, but the Denver Broncos matched the Jets' offer, agreeing to pay $12.5 million to keep the tight end for the next five seasons.

ALinChainz
04-20-2005, 11:50 PM
I'll say it again ...

Fucking Jolley?

redblkwht
04-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
I'll say it again ...

Fucking Jolley?
I feel Jolley, oh so Jolley..

redblkwht
04-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Fot that move, the Jets should demand for a new GM/Owner.

PhilFlappoRogan
04-21-2005, 01:01 PM
He's a good player, and a very good receiver. He's waaaaaaay better than that first round fucking turd Kyle Brady the Jets had such high hopes for.

Jet fans, this is a good player. Is he worth a first round pick, I dont know, but hes much better than anyone outside of Raider Nation realizes.

ALinChainz
04-21-2005, 02:10 PM
No way in hell is Jolley worth a first round pick, not from 1-32, he isn't much of a blocker and hasn't been exactly injury free.

I still can't believe this deal.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-21-2005, 08:04 PM
I believe the rationale they were talking about on ESPN Radio this morning about this deal...

The Jets must think that Heath Miller will be gone by #26....

WARF
04-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Al, your missing the rest of the deal.

The Jets got the raiders 2nd rounder (47th overall) ... and a 6th rounder...

ALinChainz
04-21-2005, 08:20 PM
There is still Alex Smith of Stanford and Everett from Miami. In my opinion, he was easily the worst TE on Oakland's team.

Freddie Jones was still available, I would have signed him.

Even with the the low round picks, that first rounder could have gotten them better I think.

Different strokes I guess.

ALinChainz
04-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Damn WARF, forgot the JETS were your team.

Didn't mean to dis them really.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Al...I don't care what else they got for Jolley...he's not worth a #26 pick...

this was ridiculous...we'll see what they do with the other picks they acquired...

ALinChainz
04-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Al...I don't care what else they got for Jolley...he's not worth a #26 pick...

This was my point. Just didn't wanna rain on a Jets parade when they are WARF's team.

:D

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Jesus Christ...when I saw that the day it happened...I couldn't fucking believe what I was seeing...

do the Jets think they are that close that they need a TE to push them over the top?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Maybe they should concentrate on a kicker....

Hehehehehehe....

Thank you, Doug Brien...

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Maybe that's their deal...trade all their picks...save one...and take Nugent...lmfao...morons...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm thinking 3rd round for him, maybe 2nd...

Whatcha think Poj ???

superdave
04-22-2005, 08:47 PM
The Jets got took on that one......

rustoffa
04-23-2005, 12:32 AM
They just want to motivate Pennington with Jolley's gaggle of wives.