PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have satellite radio?

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:47 PM
You get every game...and in due respect to the MLB tv package...I've always been an old timer and loved the game on the radio...

does anyone get this...and is it worth the penny?

Tom Hamilton...the Indian's announcer...is one of the best in the game...and I'd get every game in baseball...including all the Indians games...

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Not to mention getting Vin Scully nearly every game...I hate the Dodgers...but love Scully...

academic punk
04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Completely worth it.

Surprised to hear that you don't have it already.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Well...I got rid of my dish recently...and am either going to get the dish again...lmfao...will do so eventually for the football package...

or just get satellite radio until then...

not sure which...

academic punk
04-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Don't even have the dish here in NYC, so can't really comment on that. But I love my friggin' sattelite radio.

Works out to about a dollar a day. No problem.

PhilFlappoRogan
04-22-2005, 06:16 PM
I have Sirius and it kicks ass. The longer term you sign up for the lower the monthly rate. The music channels are worth it alone ( no freaking commercials ) but during the NFL season you get every game, and you can listen to your teams broadcast or the opponents home broadcast. I listened to some Raw Dog comedy yesterday at lunch and it was fuggin hilarious and completely uncensored.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I think XM has the baseball package...can you get it with Sirius as well?

Bob_R
04-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
You get every game...and in due respect to the MLB tv package...I've always been an old timer and loved the game on the radio...

does anyone get this...and is it worth the penny?

Tom Hamilton...the Indian's announcer...is one of the best in the game...and I'd get every game in baseball...including all the Indians games...

Yeah, you just want to listen to all the Yankee games. :) :p ;)

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm sure Yankee games aren't on satellite...Steinbrenner probably has a seperate deal...to make more money than everyone else...

Bob_R
04-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
I'm sure Yankee games aren't on satellite...Steinbrenner probably has a seperate deal...to make more money than everyone else...

LMAO. You're probably right!

academic punk
04-22-2005, 07:14 PM
he needs the money with how much his roster costs him!

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Trust me...200 million is barely a scratch in the bucket with the TV deal they have...

academic punk
04-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh, I wasn't talking about the YANKEE roster...

I was talking about his hookers...

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I didn't realize male hookers cost that much...

academic punk
04-22-2005, 07:27 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! Getting sodomized by the best don't come cheap, y'know!

Here in New York, the Yankees were supposed to be part of the deal with Time Warner Cable through MSG Networks. MSG apparently demanded too much money, and now every NYCer with cable has a bill two dollars less per month b/c Time warner walked away from the negotiations and told them all to fuck off.

Completely worth it. I'd sooner have the two bucks than Steinbrenner's fuck-zoo.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Go figure...fucking greedy bastards...

academic punk
04-22-2005, 07:43 PM
This is somehting about it I found on a very hurried google search...

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/newyork/politics/nyc-cabl0416,0,7757719.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-politics

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2005, 08:36 PM
I've actually been thinking about it myself recently...

My Monte Carlo is XM-ready with the radio that's installed in it... [[ BTW Poj, gonna put a performance chip in it... :D ]]

I'd love to hear the uncensored comedy channels....

Gotta ask a dumb question though...

OK, so suppose I'm listening to ESPN Radio, Dan Patrick or someone like that...

They take a break, which usually lasts about 10 minutes or so...

I understand there are no commercials on the satellite, but what do they do to fill in the dead air ?? I mean, even back at the studio THEY'RE taking a break too !!!

Troy
04-22-2005, 08:52 PM
MLB is exclusive to XM.

The satellite companies sign deals with ESPN, Viacom, etc. to broadcast their programing on satellite. The true "commercial free" programing on XM & Sirius are the personalities they sign. And of course the music channels are commercial free.

I have XM and love it. I got it for Opie & Anthony. To hear them completely uncencored is awesome.

Va & Poj, you both need to get it. I haven't listened to regular radio since I got if for Christmas.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2005, 08:55 PM
So when I listen to ESPN, for instance, I'm still gonna hear "commercials", or something similar ??

Troy
04-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Yes.

Rikk
04-22-2005, 09:56 PM
On the same topic, anyone know the easiest way to get a complete NFL package in Ontario? I missed something like seven or eight Steelers games this year...really fucking annoying. No offense, but I'm tired of sitting through fucking Bills games.

monkeythe
04-23-2005, 01:31 AM
XM RAdio rules. The music channels alone are worth the price, but then you get all the MLB games. I haven't heard him yet, but I believe you get Bob Eucker solo for Brewers games. There was a column in SI this week about how the columnist loves his XM radio for the MLB package.

As far as the commercials go, only the music channels are commercial free. You get commercials on ESPN radio. SInce you love ESPN, you have to hear the Tony Kornheiser (the white guy from PTI) Show on the Extreme COmedy Channel.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-23-2005, 08:24 AM
LOL, I actually like Kornheiser on PTI, but on the radio he's really rude and condescending...

And it doesn't take long, he'll hang up on you if, when you call, you start off by saying, "How ya doing Tony".... Unbelievable....

Anyway, I'm considering XM, I may take it for a "spin"....

bru87tr
04-23-2005, 08:33 AM
I have sirius and love it......

sure I dont get MLB but I have AM for that and the home guys are the best.

but I do get NBA and NFL!!! :) and XM does not have that.

as for O&A, well stern is around the corner and the listeners for stern will outweigh O&A by far. I cant believe how many people auto like XM over sirius and I think sirius does and will have more to offer.

Bob_R
04-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
On the same topic, anyone know the easiest way to get a complete NFL package in Ontario? I missed something like seven or eight Steelers games this year...really fucking annoying. No offense, but I'm tired of sitting through fucking Bills games.

DirecTV offers the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Is it available in Ontario?

That would be your solution.

Rikk
04-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
DirecTV offers the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Is it available in Ontario?

That would be your solution.

Only illegally. One would have to get an illegal dish and a card programmed for NFL ticket. I may think about that...but apparently the cards become scrambled almost constantly these days. I'm sick of mainly watching Buffalo games and watch to catch every Steelers game.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-21-2005, 08:27 AM
I keep forgetting to post this, but I got XM a few weeks ago...

I thought my car, a '04 Monte Carlo SS, was XM compatible (my ignorant self), but I was mistaken.... Circuit City was offering free installation, so I went for it... The radio, car kit, and $20 2-year warranty cost me just over 200 clams....

The installation looks fairly transparent as far as wiring goes... I told them to wire the power for the device to the battery (an extra 10 clams)... You do see a couple inches of wire for the power and antenna, but other than that it's hidden....

It's pretty damn sweet, haven't even thought about listening to the local stuff...

Crystal clear quality... Of course, you lose the signal when going under a long underpass or tunnel... Doesn't seem to be affected by heavy rain... Drove last night during a pretty heavy downpour and it was no problem...

I got the SkyFi2 model, and you can program 30 preset channels (It's actually 3 sets of 10 channels, A, B, and C).....

I don't have all 30 preset, probably about 22 or so...

In the Preset "A" set, I've got about 4 different rock channels in there, one for Hard Rock/Metal called the Boneyard, one for deep rock tracks, one for classic rock, and one for special concerts and presentation.... Then I've got the 3 types of comedy channels, with the uncensored channel quickly becoming one of my favorite channels....

By the way, first Van Halen song I hear in the Boneyard ?? Fucking Black and Blue !!! What the fuck ??? I have heard several CVH songs though...

In Preset "B" I've got like 4 different sports talk channels (ESPN Radio, ESPNEWS, FOX, Sporting News), NASCAR channel, and another race-day channel....

In Preset "C", I've got 5 different news channels, then of course my Air America Radio... First chance I've had to listen to that channel...

[[ Yes, you bastard Republicans have right-wing channels available as well... ;) ]]

The only negative thing I've seen so far is that the car kit clips the device and holder to one of the air vents.... And that setup isn't exactly the most sturdy thing I've ever seen....

A worthwhile purchase... I'm really going to test it out in late June, when my youngest son and I go on a little baseball trip, to Cooperstown, then Orioles/Yankees, then Nationals/Pirates....

Rebel
10-26-2005, 01:40 AM
Just kicking up this old thread. My 300 SRT-8 in my sig came with a year free of Sirius, so I got a tuner to use inside, I love it. The music is awesome, and ESPN is great to have digital. I have an indoor/outdoor antenna. The signal can be a bit spotty inside, have it in the window facing North and it's perfect, just can't move it. The sports channels are great, the Ole Miss game is on Saturday and a ton of other college games.

I think I'm gonna get the outdoor specific antenna and put it on a pole out back. That way i can run the cable through the window and have it in a better place than the guest bedroom (faces the north). I got an Audiovox PNP3 and the FM modulator works great, so I can play it on all my radios.

Rebel
10-26-2005, 01:44 AM
Radio I have and antenna I'm gonna put out back.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Audiovox/SIRPNP3_y.jpg

http://www.abtelectronics.com/images/products/l_sir6.gif

twonabomber
10-26-2005, 12:19 PM
i have the Starmate...home antenna is sitting on the deck railing and it works fine. i had to leave it close to the house so i can knock the snow off of it. :D

Pojo, DirecTV will be carrying XM Radio as of November 15th.

Rebel
10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
THe antenna I posted is on sale at Amazon for 50 bucks, you'll get a stronger signal if you have any dropoffs. I found a good spot for mine (the home antenna), I jsut don't like all the wires laying around in the house.

twonabomber
10-26-2005, 06:10 PM
i haven't had any dropouts. maybe i'm just lucky. we don't have any terrestial repeaters here, either.

Rebel
10-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm taking it to work for the first time tonight, I hope there is some type of terrestial repeater around to get me a signal. Thats one thing XM is better in, Sirius needs more of them. I can get a good signal through the guest bedroom window, but it's such a pain to have it in there.