PDA

View Full Version : Building a carputer

Dr. Love
04-24-2005, 05:12 AM
Hey gang,

I recently purchased a new automobile, and I immediately began thinking about putting a carputer in it. For those of you that don't know what a carputer is, it's a computer built specifically to run in your car. They do things like play MP3s, dvds, divx files, give directions, whatever.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has built and installed one before. My carputer will have to do the following (it's not much, yet):

1.) Play audio files from a storage device (a hard drive) through the stereo

2.) Be remotely controlled via wireless through a pocket PC

3.) Be able to display maps/directions to the pocket PC using GPS.

In the future, I'd like to incorporate a single (or multiple) screen(s) into the vehicle to allow for DVD/DivX/Xvid playback.

I've read a lot of information on what will be required hardware-wise to get this going and I think I've got a good chance of being able to pull it off. I was just curious to know if anyone here had attempted such a thing.

Panamark
04-24-2005, 05:55 AM
Sounds like something I would do :) But i havent as yet.. Done all sorts of AV/PC integration in the home. I notice a lot of new cars are incorporating this kind of gear now. Maybe you can scam a prebuilt job from somewhere and save some hassles ??

Dr. Love
04-24-2005, 06:29 AM
I was thinking about that, but a prebuilt job isn't going to be able to quite do the things that I want to do... plus, making a project out of it is 90% of the fun. :D

I want to be able to control it without a touchscreen/monitor. I also want to have the machine be as barebones as possible and run all the audio files from a usb drive that I can remove from the automobile and take into the house whenever I want to update it (as most prefab systems I'd have to make a CD to copy from or remove the unit and network it to a machine in the house to transfer files).

Right now I'm thinking a micro atx or a case specifically built for carputers will do. I'll put a P3 750 in it with 256MB of ram (still debating this part) with a 10 GB hard drive (if I can find one) with either windows 2k or windows xp with autologin. I'll grab a 40 GB hard drive to start with and put it in a external USB case and put it in with the unit.

Then I'll have to find an application or write one that allows me to connect to the system and execute playlists over a wifi network. Then I'll have a pocket pc with 802.11b to use as a remote.

Funnily enough, the only part I wouldn't know how to do is actually wiring the audio into the car. :) Thankfully, I have a friend that knows a lot about cars and audio that can help me.

That, and I need to find a place to put the system that is out of site and easily accessible (and cool). Don't really want to put it in the trunk.

Panamark
04-24-2005, 06:35 AM
You might want to checkout hometheatre touch control units too...
Coupled with a micro PC and a good car audio system, you are
there !

The Scatologist
04-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Done all sorts of AV/PC integration in the home.

I do all sorta of Adult Video / PC integration too:D

flappo
04-24-2005, 07:27 AM
you'll need a very long power lead

Panamark
04-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
I do all sorta of Adult Video / PC integration too:D

So do you have a 3.5 or 5.25 floppy disk ??

I have a 200gig Hard Disk.

Seshmeister
04-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Sounds pretty pointless to me?:)

I'm guessing that best option would be a laptop because of the size and it would be easier to run off of a car battery.

Panamark
04-24-2005, 08:29 AM
He wants it mounted in his dash, Im assuming ..

As ooposed to a laptop sitting in the passenger seat..

The Scatologist
04-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
So do you have a 3.5 or 5.25 floppy disk ??

I have a 200gig Hard Disk.

I have a 80 Gig Hard Drive, and I have a lot of AVs on there.

My floppy dick is about 4-6 inches depending on the temperature and such, but usually about 9-10 inches when hard.

Dr. Love
04-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Sounds pretty pointless to me?:)

I'm guessing that best option would be a laptop because of the size and it would be easier to run off of a car battery.

It may be pointless, but it's more for the fun factor. Plus, I didn't want to spend $5K at the dealership for this stuff when I can do it myself for under $1K.

Check it out.

http://www.mp3car.com/

Dr. Love
04-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Found my old pocket pc and got it to reboot and start charging. Now I just need to start pricing the different parts. Shouldn't be too expensive though. :)

Panamark
04-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist

My floppy dick is about 4-6 inches depending on the temperature and such, but usually about 9-10 inches when hard.

Sounds just like mine, when I fold it in half :p

Seshmeister
04-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Coming soon a thread on how to put an ashtray onto a motorbike...

Dr. Love
04-24-2005, 10:14 PM
I thought you'd be more interested in something to hold your scotch. ;)