P.C. Scholars Removing Christ from A.D., B.C.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

P.C. Scholars Removing Christ from A.D., B.C.

In certain precincts of a world encouraged to embrace differences, Christ is out.

The terms "B.C." and "A.D." increasingly are shunned by certain scholars.

Story Continues Below

Educators and historians say schools from North America to Australia have been changing the terms "Before Christ," or B.C., to "Before Common Era," or B.C.E., and "anno Domini" (Latin for "in the year of the Lord") to "Common Era." In short, they're referred to as B.C.E. and C.E.

The life of Christ still divides the epochs, but the change has stoked the ire of Christians and religious leaders who see it as an attack on a social and political order that has been in place for centuries.

For more than a century, Hebrew lessons have used B.C.E. and C.E., with C.E. sometimes referring to Christian Era.

This raises the question: Can old and new coexist in harmony, or must one give way to the other to reflect changing times and attitudes?

The terms B.C. and A.D. have clear Catholic roots. Dionysius Exiguus, an abbot in Rome, devised them as a way to determine the date for Easter for Pope St. John I. The terms were continued under the Gregorian Calendar, created in 1582 under Pope Gregory XIII.

Although most calendars are based on an epoch or person, B.C. and A.D. have always presented a particular problem for historians: There is no year zero; there's a 33-year gap, reflecting the life of Christ, dividing the epochs. Critics say that's additional reason to replace the Christian-based terms.

"When Jews or Muslims have to put Christ in the middle of our calendar ... that's difficult for us," said Steven M. Brown, dean of the William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City.

The new terms were introduced by academics in the 1990s in public elementary and high school classrooms.

In New York, the terms are entering public classrooms through textbooks and worksheets, but B.C.E. and C.E. are not part of the state's official curriculum, and there is no plan to debate the issue, said state Education Department spokesman Jonathan Burman.

"The standard textbooks primarily used in New York use the terms A.D. and B.C.," Mr. Burman said. Schools, however, may choose to use the new terms, although B.C. and A.D. will continue to be used in the state Regents exams, many of which are required for high school graduation.

Candace de Russy, a national writer on education and Catholic issues and a trustee for the State University of New York, doesn't accept the notion of fence-straddling.

"The use of B.C.E. and C.E. is not mere verbal tweaking; rather it is integral to the leftist language police -- a concerted attack on the religious foundation of our social and political order," she said.

For centuries, B.C. and A.D. were used in public schools and universities, and in historical and most theological research. Some historians and college instructors started using the new forms as a less Christ-centric alternative.

"I think it's pretty common now," said Gary B. Nash, director of the National Center for History in the Schools. "Once you take a global approach, it makes sense not to make a dating system applicable only to a relative few."

But not everyone takes that pluralistic view.

"I find it distressing; I don't like it," said Gilbert Sewall, director of the American Textbook Council, which finds politics intruding on instruction. He said changing terms accepted for centuries because of a current social movement could threaten other long-held principles.

Mr. Nash said most major textbook companies have adopted the new terms, which are part of the national world history standards. But even those standards have been called into question.

In a 2000 national resolution, the Southern Baptist Convention condemned the new terms as "the result of the secularization, anti-supernaturalism, religious pluralism, and political correctness pervasive in our society." "Is that some sort of the political correctness?" said Tim Callahan, of the Professional Association of Georgia Educators, an independent group with 60,000 educator members. "It sounds pretty silly to me."

© 2005 Associated Press
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

BCE???

Well then you know who's behind that
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• fe_lung
      Sniper
      • Mar 2004

Re: P.C. Scholars Removing Christ from A.D., B.C.

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
      In certain precincts of a world encouraged to embrace differences, Christ is out.

The terms "B.C." and "A.D." increasingly are shunned by certain scholars.
      This has been pretty much the standard usage for the last 30 years or so. I don't think there's any great conspiracy behind it, just a recognition that the majority of the planet doesn't give a rats ass about the arbitrary date that the Catholic church set as the birthday of baby G.

Comment

• kentuckyklira
        Veteran
        • Sep 2004

Too bad the Romans didn´t remove Christ from the face of the Earth a lot earlier than they did!
        http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• Jesus Christ
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kentuckyklira
          Too bad the Romans didn´t remove Christ from the face of the Earth a lot earlier than they did!
          When was the last time it rained frogs in Germany, My son?

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kentuckyklira
            I honestly pray for your soul, bro. You are the most desperately lost soul i think i have ever encountered in my lifetime.

I would really like to know, have you formed your opinion on your own after researching God or have you just been told what to believe all your miserable life?

Comment

• McCarrens
              Foot Soldier
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
              I honestly pray for your soul, bro. You are the most desperately lost soul i think i have ever encountered in my lifetime.

I would really like to know, have you formed your opinion on your own after researching God or have you just been told what to believe all your miserable life?
              Nice one man, nice one.
              "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Re: Re: P.C. Scholars Removing Christ from A.D., B.C.

Originally posted by fe_lung
                This has been pretty much the standard usage for the last 30 years or so. I don't think there's any great conspiracy behind it, just a recognition that the majority of the planet doesn't give a rats ass about the arbitrary date that the Catholic church set as the birthday of baby G.
                But it wasn't the Church who set the calendar as it was. It was the Romans. BC and AD kind of got added to it because the majority of people using the calendar system where Christians and it helped distinguish between the first year 6 and the second year 6.
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Figs
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

I hate that Before Common Era shit! I'm not religious, but I don't go fucking mental at the mention of Jesus. I know there are plenty of other religions out there but sorry, the calendar adopted by most everyone is based on Jesus and I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

Besides how would you answer the question, "What defines the beginning of the common era?" without mentioning "he who we do not speak of?"

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Figs...Prince went back to his name. He's no longer that squiggly line design thingy.

LOL!
                    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• kentuckyklira
                      Veteran
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                      When was the last time it rained frogs in Germany, My son?
                      Make 'em big enough!

I like Frog´s legs in French garlic sauce!

Comment

• kentuckyklira
                        Veteran
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

I´ll be on a business trip to New York City from Mai 5th to Mai 9th. We could meet and discuss!

To be honest, I formed my opinion 100% on my own, and my life is far from miserable. I actually enjoy it a lot and this year has been one of the best so far!

Long live Roth and Roll!

Comment

• kentuckyklira
                          Veteran
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by McCarrens
                          Nice one man, nice one.
                          To imagine you guys "honestly praying for my soul" makes me enjoy my beer even more!

Thanks guys!

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

"Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

If Christ exists, the growing trend to eliminate his image from everything will be greeted with his second comming in which he will burn up all the non believers with fire and clense the earth.

If Christ does not exist he will become weaker and weaker with every generation until paganism replaces him.

To a true believing Christian, the increase of anti-Christian behavior should make them rock hard. It means the Anti-Christ is organizing his followers and the one world order and Armegedon is coming. One shitty mess that Christ will clean up with major whoop ass.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...