PDA

View Full Version : Big Audio Dynamite

Roguesgirl
04-27-2005, 11:18 PM
This was Mick Jones' band after the Clash.

I had their Megatop Phoenix album back in the day and played the shit out of it. Something made me think of them and I started listening to some of the stuff again and it sounds pretty dated.

But, some of the songs "Contact" and "James Brown" still sound cool. And all of the sound clips in between songs are great.

Was anyone else into them? Do you have any of their music?

academic punk
04-27-2005, 11:20 PM
IF I HAD MY TIME AGAIN!!!!

the horses...the horses...the horses are on the track...

LOVED 'EM!!! E=MC2 was/is one of my all-time faves!

Roguesgirl
04-28-2005, 02:56 PM
~tumbleweed drifts by~

:D

Steve Savicki
04-28-2005, 02:59 PM
I believe I have the debut from '85/'86

Roguesgirl
04-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
I believe I have the debut from '85/'86

how do you think it sounds now?

Roguesgirl
04-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
IF I HAD MY TIME AGAIN!!!!

the horses...the horses...the horses are on the track...

LOVED 'EM!!! E=MC2 was/is one of my all-time faves!

Hey AP...

Better learn how to play guitar with a plink and a plunk
I didn`t like jazz I didn`t like funk
I turned out a punk
I turned out a punk

:cool:

academic punk
04-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Roguesgirl
Hey AP...

Better learn how to play guitar with a plink and a plunk
I didn`t like jazz I didn`t like funk
I turned out a punk
I turned out a punk

:cool:

That was my song too! Oh, I'm gonna have to pull that out again....anything with "punk" I always had an instant affinity towards, or at least until Punky Brewster came along!

Roguesgirl
04-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
That was my song too! Oh, I'm gonna have to pull that out again....anything with "punk" I always had an instant affinity towards, or at least until Punky Brewster came along!

I just listened to E=MC2 and it is sooo friggin' '80's. LOL.

They always have those cool sound clips, like the part with the Lone Ranger in E=MC2.

I love it when they sample The who's "Can't Explain" in the middle of that tune "Contact"

academic punk
04-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Do you think it sounds stuck in the 80s? the production definitely is, but all the extra bits - the samples and whatnot - were pretty innovative at the time - especially for white british folk - and has endured.

sorta like kate bush or whatever....just singular enough where it's still interesting to listen to today.

though i haven't listened to either in YEARS, so there's that.

superdave
04-29-2005, 08:41 PM
even though Dave had his quarrels with the Clash, Mick Jones was a FUCKING brilliant musician

academic punk
04-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by superdave
even though Dave had his quarrels with the Clash, Mick Jones was a FUCKING brilliant musician

Oh, yeah? What was it that Dave used to say about the Clash? Something about if you want to rock, listen to VH, if you want to listen to a newspaper, turn on the Clash, right?

Roguesgirl
04-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Dave said a few things about them, but I always liked them. Saw them live and had a blast at their show. Wild shit. :cool:

In one of B.A.D.'s tunes they sample the Clash's "Should I stay or should I go", but I can't remember which tune it is.

AP...the sound bits are very interesting still. But the music is very 80's sounding now, but I still dig it.

Panamark
04-30-2005, 02:29 AM
Mick Jones sure does love A to D chord progressions...

Panamark
04-30-2005, 02:30 AM
Maybe thats where the AD in BAD comes from ??

I liked a few of their songs.

FORD
04-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Roguesgirl

In one of B.A.D.'s tunes they sample the Clash's "Should I stay or should I go", but I can't remember which tune it is.

That would be "The Globe". Ironically enough, I think that album was their biggest hit, and I believe it was their last album. Rumors were going around at the time that Strummer was going to produce the next BAD record, and from there it evolved into a Clash reunion story. Unfortunately, neither one happenned, and now it never can :(

Roguesgirl
04-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Yup, thats it. The Globe.

It has that little scream from the beginning of Should I stay...over and over and over. (I think he over did that one just a tad...lol)

Would have been cool if either or both happened :(