X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Scatologist
    Sniper
    • Jan 2005

Rock and Roll Stage Moves

I have never seen a thread on any messageboard about Rock and Roll stage moves. I really have to wonder why, for it's like one of the things that seperate the rock stars from the bore masters.

I have also hardly seen ANYONE use any fucking moves at all. They just stand there like morons and play. One of the things that made CVH so great, was all the jumps and running around and shit.

Since rock and roll stage moves are sorta like my speciality, i'd like to share how to do some with you people.

1. The All mighty Eddie Van Halen Scissor Kick.

THIS IS MUCH EASIER THEN IT LOOKS! See, the main thing that makes a split so hard to some people, is that they're not used to doing the splits, so they try to do it very very slowly. This will only make it hurt. There is nothing that keeps your legs from doing the foward splits. Think about it, can you move your leg to at least a 90 degree angle or close to it on both sides? All you gotta do is do it both ways at once. The hurt part actually comes from your weight bearing down on a awkward part of your legs.

This becomes MUCH easier of course, when you're in the air! Just try it! You'll be suprised. One thing you wanna make sure of, is to keep the foot that you use in the back, raised. This is essential to make it look like a great scissor kick. It does not have to be a perfect 180. Watch some videos of Ed, he doesn't do it perfect either, but still looks friggin cool.

2. Foot Shuffle, another Ed move, Move your feet in and out, while sorta turning your whole body left and right in rhythm to the song. Great especially on songs like Beautiful Girls.

3. The Slash Swagger
    You need a low slung guitar to do this, preferably one of the vintagish types, not one of the strat types, or itll just look weird.
    Sorta just swagger around in beat to your lead playing.

4. Head Bang.
    One of the few moves that most people actually use, only they look fucking stupid doing it. It's all in the hair. You have to make your hair move the right way. Slow head bangs are great too, people hardly ever do slow big head bangs, but it adds a lot of effect. If you don't have hair, well don't head bang too much or you'll look like a fucking chicken.

5. The Slash/ Zakk Guitar on Leg move.

Looks coolest with les Pauls. Prop up your guitar on one of your legs, then solo away.

Well, that's all for now. Don't forget though, always keep moving. Learn how to control yourself while doing these. Especially the scissor kicks, try not to let the sound bounce when you come back down. I'll post more later if I feel like it. How bout you guys add some too?

These are only general guide lines by the way, just sorta like dance to the feel of the music.
    The name Sammy Hagar conjures up a variety of emotions from music fans--from hate to contempt, from disgust to revulsion.

-TheSmokingGun.com
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

What about Dave's Jack Daniels bottle ?
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

There coulde easily be a thread entitled Rock Poser Bands.

No I do not mean "poser" as in "fake", I mean musicians and bands who will automatically pose for fans, and defintely for cameras.

One of the greatest poser bands is The Scorpions. They realize the value of photographs in promoting themselves. If you are up front with a camera, you will find them drawn to you sooner or later, and they will strike various Rock God poses while you take pictures.

Some rockers are definitely more theatrical than others. Rob Halford is one. Uncle Dave is definitely someone who struts his stuff on stage, and makes for a really good subject for photogs....

In many cases, it is not really intentional...it is just the way the musicians move. Angus Young is always good for a photo, but of course they (like their albums) always look the same...Angus in Motion...soaking wet with sweat....he is not trying to pose for photogs, nor is he even thinking about "stage moves". He is just doing his thing...getting off on the music.

This is what I can truly understand, as when I am onstage blasting out at high volume, all I am doing is getting off on the music I am playing. I cannot stand still, and so my stage moves are never intentional.

I cannot for the life of me understand musicians who just stand there and stare at their shoes. I could understand it to some degree if they were playing some kinda shred or really difficult guitar chops and needed to stand still to concentrate, or if they were like Mick Mars and were just a skeleton-like creature propped up on stage....but when they are playing simple chord progressions or whatever, and they do not move or act energized by their own music...they should be hit severely by a cattle-prod, or have their shoes set on fire or something....
      ANYTHING to get them to move around at least a little bit...
      Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-02-2005, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
        Veteran
        • Feb 2005

...and there is the most classic pose for smokers. Many have copied it.

The Jimmy Page Cigarette Angle

it's all in the angle of the cigarette dangle.

Comment

• Don Corleone
          Veteran
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
          What about Dave's Jack Daniels bottle ?
          Or Ed's puking stage right??
          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• nosuchluck
            Sniper
            • Aug 2004

you forgot that guitar twirling thing that Yngwie did.
            a friend of mine suffered a nasty head injury when he attempted that.

Comment

• Don Corleone
              Veteran
              • May 2004

Originally posted by nosuchluck
              If your on about the Twirly, then I've seen a few guys (including Nicolas Arson of the The Hives) launch their guitars trying that one (the straps came undone).
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• The Scatologist
                Sniper
                • Jan 2005

lol anyone have that video clip of that kid trying it and having it come off?
                The name Sammy Hagar conjures up a variety of emotions from music fans--from hate to contempt, from disgust to revulsion.

-TheSmokingGun.com

Comment

• The Scatologist
                  Sniper
                  • Jan 2005

and screw you, the scorpians kick ass

-TheSmokingGun.com

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by nosuchluck
                    I did that in Montclair once in the 80s and lost a strap button, the whole guitar went skidding like a skateboard.

Comment

• nosuchluck
                      Sniper
                      • Aug 2004

i wonder if Yngwie can still do that - his circumference might not permit it anymore.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

even though he's almost big enough to be considered a planet he still does that - check out the last G3 dvd
                        Originally posted by flappo
                        i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
                        translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• tydhurst
                          Commando
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
                          even though he's almost big enough to be considered a planet he still does that - check out the last G3 dvd

Six Bloody Times In The Same Bloody Song!

I reckon the key to stage presence is to look different, not like anyone else, that includes famous people!
                          Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Yngwie's Strats aren't that heavy and he uses a Dimarzio guitar strap that is made from cotton weave. Inexpensive straps and comfortable as hell, I highly reccomend them and they come with two screws to fasten the detatable strap ends to the guitar. Steve Vail uses the nylon version of the same strap.

You can do Ynqwie twirls all day long with these Dimarzio locking straps and a Stratocaster. It isn't that hard.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Let's not forget Pete Townsend's windmill. That always was a cool move.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...