PDA

View Full Version : Arrest made at Coulter speech; Student arrested

BigBadBrian
05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Arrest made at Coulter speech; Student arrested, charged with disorderly conduct after offensive question
Wed May 04 2005 11:57:58 ET

Incessant heckling and shouting culminated in an arrest Tuesday night during a speech by controversialist Ann Coulter at the University of Texas at Austin.

THE TEXAN reports: Shouts became so pervasive during the question-and-answer session that Coulter informed the organizers she would no longer take questions if the hecklers were not silenced. For a time, the shouts were considerably lessened, until the issue of gay marriage was broached.

Coulter said she supported the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman on the basis that a good woman civilizes and inspires a man to strive for something better, leading to a question that was met with a stunned silence.

"You say that you believe in the sanctity of marriage," said Ajai Raj, an English sophomore. "How do you feel about marriages where the man does nothing but f*@k his wife up the ass?"

UT Police officers approached Raj to arrest him, resulting in a mass exodus of protesters chanting, "Let him go."

"The person had been disruptive the entire event," said Matt Hardigree, former Student Events Center president. "He took the opportunity to say something lewd and offensive and then made masturbatory gestures as he exited."

Hardigree said that Cheryl Wood from the Office of the Dean of Students spoke with some of the protestors before the event, and assorted members of the Distinguished Speakers Committee asked them to sit in the back if they had signs and to leave quietly if they wanted to leave.

According to Jeffrey Stockerwell, a friend of Raj, officers violently seized Raj and illegally searched him after his question.

Police have charged Raj with disorderly conduct, a Class C misdemeanor.

Representatives of the Austin People's Legal Collective were taking statements from everyone at the scene, in case it should be taken to court.

The booing began early into Coulter's speech, when she issued a joke to pro-choice advocates.

"I wonder why those 'I Heart Partial-Birth Abortion' T-shirts aren't selling better," she said, followed by a combination of cheers and jeers.

One student asked Coulter why universities and institutions place microphones in front of Coulter when she advocates terrorism against liberals, prompting Coulter to mention the strength of her book sales. Coulter has had four New York Times best sellers.

The $30,000 event was co-sponsored by the Texas Union Student Events Center and Student Endowed Centennial Lectureship Committee.

Developing...

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 12:24 PM
I think it was a valid question. She should of answered!

BigBadBrian
05-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I think it was a valid question.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. :gulp:

FORD
05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Nice to know that Ann the Man, who makes his living from offensive speech, doesn't support the freedom of speech when it comes to others :mad:

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

One student asked Coulter why universities and institutions place microphones in front of Coulter when she advocates terrorism against liberals, prompting Coulter to mention the strength of her book sales. Coulter has had four New York Times best sellers.

Couldn't Hitler say the same thing? "Mein Kampf" was, and cuntinues to be, a big seller.

Just asking...:)

jacksmar
05-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Ann is hot and getting hotter as she ages.

http://www.anncoulter.org/photos/ann_berlin.jpg
:baaa:

Be sure to order her book as a Mother's Day Gift. Your mother will appreciate you more.;)

FORD
05-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Garcia is doing triple somersaults in his grave seeing that thing pictured with a Dead poster :(

Ally_Kat
05-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Nice to know that Ann the Man, who makes his living from offensive speech, doesn't support the freedom of speech when it comes to others :mad:

But remember that there are university rules in student handbooks that talk about disruptive behavior.

coke
05-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
But remember that there are university rules in student handbooks that talk about disruptive behavior.

Remember Freedom Of Speech????

Ally_Kat
05-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by coke

is this panda boy?

FORD
05-04-2005, 06:13 PM
is this panda boy?

Yep. I predict he'll be banned again by tomorrow. He's never been able to restrain himself for long.

Ally_Kat
05-04-2005, 06:15 PM

Nice try. It was in a university setting and there are different rules at play -- such as those outlined in the student handbook. To really debate further, we would need a copy of their student handbook so that we all can know what the rules there are.

coke
05-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Nice try. It was in a university setting and there are different rules at play -- such as those outlined in the student handbook. To really debate further, we would need a copy of their student handbook so that we all can know what the rules there are.

College's and School's are exempt from The Bill of Rights and the US Constitution?????

FORD
05-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I still believe the question was valid. If right wingers are going do define certain sexual acts as "sodomy" then they should clarify whether their objection is to the acts themselves, or to the gender of the people involved. I.E. are they also against heterosexual acts which cannot concieve children?

Ally_Kat
05-04-2005, 06:28 PM
College's and School's are exempt from The Bill of Rights and the US Constitution?????

To different degrees; The private schools and universities moreso.

Welcome to America, Dennis.

The case the school claims, and what will really have to be determined if it does go to court for whatever reason, is that he was being disruptive to a school event. Universities and Colleges have guidelines that differently handle situation and what a student's behavior is expected to be which the student agrees to upon accepting admission to the institution. If he broke those guidelines as laid out for the University of Texas in Austin, then the school was just in removing him.

Remember, this is more than what his question was. The school claims he was being disruptive all event long, plus claimed he did the jerk-off motion when being removed. Good luck finding a university or college that tolerates that in one of it's academic or school-run student events.

But like I said, we need to know more about those guidelines before we can really argue about it. That and I would like some more witness accounts.

Guitar Shark
05-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Free speech my ass. It was a stupid question designed to cause a disruption. "Free speech" doesn't protect that, in the same way that "free speech" does not allow a person to yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater.

Ally_Kat
05-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I still believe the question was valid. If right wingers are going do define certain sexual acts as "sodomy" then they should clarify whether their objection is to the acts themselves, or to the gender of the people involved. I.E. are they also against heterosexual acts which cannot concieve children?

Maybe it it was worded differently? Now, a smart student who is against the views would bring up the topic of sodomy, but do it in an academic way like, "What are your views on sodomy and your view of marriage? Does it have a place in a heterosexual union? Why or why not?" A classic time to pull out that question if they really wanted to trap and trap her would have been right after the student was removed.

I think we can all agree that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Alledged disruptivness aside, that student did his questioning the wrong way. It's more fun doing it the right way, esp when you do trap them.

jacksmar
05-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Sure wish I could give you 5 more stars ally. Debate and confrontation are different when exchanging ideas and positions.

(If it's an "L" thing, count me the "L" in!!! :D)

Ally_Kat
05-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar

(If it's an "L" thing, count me the "L" in!!! :D)

LMAO! that's so going in my siggy -- if it's cool with you

ODShowtime
05-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar
Ann is hot and getting hotter as she ages.

false

FORD
05-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
false

Tommy Lee apparently thought so ;)